On the hunt again

I reckon that's me done for the next decade. No more property buying 'til at least 2020.

It's amazing what a good hard exercise session followed by a night's sleep can do to recharge the batteries. Might go scan the 'for sale' column and see if there are any bargains about. ;)
Sheesh - before I could even make a smart *** comment on the previous quote!

Congratulations, and let us know what you found in the paper. :D

Congrat's Dazz;):D

Be interesting to read how things develop re managing the site.

Some time ago I asked the question re managing a shopping centre with the thought that one aspect of managing a shopping centre is promoting the centre and getting people to walk in the door.

Even the cleaning and general maintenance of the common areas will need to be managed to contain costs.

As you say a new ball game and I look forward to the revelations.

Cheers

That's awesome. Well done Dazz now kick back and enjoy the fruits of your hard work and diligence while CPI/inflation and the strong economy do their thing over the next 10 years.

As always Dazz, a scintillating account of yet another inspiring endeavor.

Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy reading the "front" of the paper for a change..

Cheers

B.D

Hi Dazz,

An interesting thread to read - thank you for posting it up for others to learn from.

Question I have for you, now that the dust has settled: do you feel all the stress was worth it? Have all your new tenants been okay or have you had problems with any of them?

Have yet to take the plunge personally, but very keen to take on commercial property at some point in the future.

Be interesting to read how things develop re managing the site.

Indeed. It has been 3 months since settlement and things have gone OK. Not as good as expected, but OK.

Property came with one major supermarket, 13 speciality shops and a few ATMs, with a further 4 minor Tenants with standard 'in mall' stuff like toy rides and vending machines. All up just over an acre of shops, with 250 carbays spread over the other 4 acres of land. Nice in the city.

The supermarket rent pays for the full mortgage costs plus full council rates and full water rates.

The biggest speciality shop rent pays for everything else, including cleaning / land tax / insurances / maintenance....the list is as long as your arm.

The other shops and ATMs rents go straight into our sky rocket as cream.

Even the cleaning and general maintenance of the common areas will need to be managed to contain costs.

Yes Andy, it is constant and on-going. I'm getting a glimpse at the full on depravity of the general public. Currently have cleaners out there, and they are staggeringly useless and lazy and hopeless.

Currently in negotiations to poach one of Centro's staff members away from them to both manage / clean / maintain the centre so I don't ever have to go out there. It can be his "baby", and I'll get back to sitting on my bum being a fat, dumb and happy slumlord.

........................ I'll get back to sitting on my bum being a fat, dumb and happy slumlord.

Well.....One out of three ain't bad. ;)

Good to see this one's bedded in well for you guys. To the victor the spoils. The hard yards have been put in and now you may don your purple (or is it orange) kaftan and enjoy the serenity and joy of having this on cruise control for some time. :)

Hello Rixter.

No I didn't Steve.

Still plenty of headaches and dramas to go yet player before this one is bedded down fully.

It's our first property to fall under the Retail legislation, and will definitely be our last. It's better than the residential legislation but sux big time chocky rocks nonetheless. The Leasing bit is a pain, being forced to pandy to the Tenants and treat them with kids gloves is pathetic. Out of our 17 inherited Tenants, only two have actually read the Lease. Sounds about the right ratio given my experience of people and legal documents.

The day to day grind will be relieved when we hire someone to babysit the place full time....can't wait for that day.

Within 2 weeks of purchasing, the 3rd and 5th biggest Tenants walked out. The 3rd biggest guy had another 11 years to go on their Lease, we are still chasing him. Promising over 1m in rent to the Landlord and then walking away has consequences. Fortunately he's given valuable caveats over substantial horse properties, so if he keeps ignoring us, we'll probably end up owning a horse stud.

The 5th biggest guy lease ran out and he just didn't renew. Coolo. His choice. He decided to just bugger off and not pay his last 2 months rent and outgoings, so we've tracked him down and he is paying the lot plus penalty interest imposed at 13% pa. He has promised to pay us back at the rate of $ 200 pw, so with penalty rates of $ 150 pw, he'll be a while chipping away at his debt. It's like we've bought a bond paying 13% plus capital repay. Coolo.

We've hired an architect and are in the process of refurbing the place. Once finished, should add a further 250K pa in rent, which should add 2.5m to the value of the property. We've given ourselves a full year to complete the project. Beats working for a living....

Congrats again Dazz - sounds like a lot of fun and a great journey.

If you don't mind sharing - what %age of the rent is taken up by management expenses and outgoings?

I.e. you mentioned 17% gross yield - what sort of net yield is it?

Rarely straight forward

Thanks for sharing those details, Dazz.

Hello Rixter.

No I didn't Steve.

Still plenty of headaches and dramas to go yet player before this one is bedded down fully.

Ohh! Rarely straight forward as you've discovered. Stick with it as I know you'll do. The gross yield is fat and should compensate for the obstacles encountered.

It's our first property to fall under the Retail legislation, and will definitely be our last. It's better than the residential legislation but sux big time chocky rocks nonetheless. The Leasing bit is a pain, being forced to pandy to the Tenants and treat them with kids gloves is pathetic.

Not the triple net leases to which you are accustomed. Retail tenancy laws are aimed (in part) to protect mum and dad small business owners (sometimes from themselves if they fall prey to the statistical failures that small businesses face in the first, and ensuing, five years of their life). A bit like glorified residential at times. If I ever bought another retail it would need to have mixed use applications.

Out of our 17 inherited Tenants, only two have actually read the Lease. Sounds about the right ratio given my experience of people and legal documents.

Little do they know that their landlord has read all 17 of them :D

The day to day grind will be relieved when we hire someone to babysit the place full time....can't wait for that day.

Within 2 weeks of purchasing, the 3rd and 5th biggest Tenants walked out. The 3rd biggest guy had another 11 years to go on their Lease, we are still chasing him. Promising over 1m in rent to the Landlord and then walking away has consequences. Fortunately he's given valuable caveats over substantial horse properties, so if he keeps ignoring us, we'll probably end up owning a horse stud. Noice diversification to your portfolio

The 5th biggest guy lease ran out and he just didn't renew. Coolo. His choice. He decided to just bugger off and not pay his last 2 months rent and outgoings, so we've tracked him down and he is paying the lot plus penalty interest imposed at 13% pa. He has promised to pay us back at the rate of $ 200 pw, so with penalty rates of $ 150 pw, he'll be a while chipping away at his debt. It's like we've bought a bond paying 13% plus capital repay. Coolo.

There is some benefit to having multi-tenant assets, in just such situations, you still have your income hedged by the remaining guests

We've hired an architect and are in the process of refurbing the place. Once finished, should add a further 250K pa in rent, which should add 2.5m to the value of the property. We've given ourselves a full year to complete the project. Beats working for a living....

Are you using 10 % to cap that as a conservative measure for such an asset (to reflect net yield) as your current return is obviously higher but gross of certain outgoings?

Once again, thanks for sharing these details. It helps those of us looking in this caper to learn and discuss.

We're still nailing that number down Troggy....somewhere in the 12 to 12.5% region.

Some expenses have been a shock. When you buy a place off a Vendor worth over 9 billion, it is unreasonable to expect your insurance bill to be the same.....they get a rather large discount. We estimated double, but it ended up being quadruple, despite my best negotiating efforts. Little me vs Insurance Bas****s is not a fair contest....never is.

If we manage to hire someone competent and thorough to babysit, the ongoing expenses (and headaches) will diminish dramatically. Currently we have a fat lazy whinger out there (typically Australian I am finding) who is lucky to even lean on her mop currently being paid 85K pa. She does nothing and, along with her husband have been asking us to reduce their workload and are seeking a pay-rise up to 130K pa. We gave notice to run them off today.

Anyone in gaga internet land want a job ??

Last edited:
Hey player,

We're cross posting...used 10% cap rate cos that's what the overall market would currently value the asset at. It has no bearing whatsoever to what yield the asset generates.

Valuations and reality are quite separate, especially at this scale. Banks however only listen to the valuers, and as they have never owned assets like this, usually talk out of their hat.

Gotcha. Yep just noticed Trogdor's post. I started posting and had to leave midway before completing.

Thanks for explaining and elaborating. That insurance allowance versus reality is an eye opener. Good luck with it all moving forward.

Just read this thread end to end and now feel inspired. Time for some more research :)

Your job offer for someone from Internet gaga land is also very tempting haha

Hey player,

Valuations and reality are quite separate, especially at this scale. Banks however only listen to the valuers, and as they have never owned assets like this, usually talk out of their hat.

From my very limited experience, and I'm learning quickly this point, this is a common theme in commercial.

Back