One of the first steps in eradicating the Age Pension

I understand no one should be standing there with their hand out, but I just think there are other areas/generations/welfare recipients the government could focus on rather than those who built this country.

Are you referring to corporate welfare, which dwarfs social welfare?

many self funded retirees are happy to be removed from the govt welfare system. not all expect the govt to fund their lifestyle despite in many cases having paid/paying tax all their income earning lives.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I can tell you with absolute certainty that many of the self funded retirees I know all have their hand out.

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I can tell you with absolute certainty that many of the self funded retirees I know all have their hand out.

My parents never had their hands out for anything as self-funded retirees. I'm curious Mr Fab what self-funded retirees are holding their hands out for?

I know my parents somehow were entitled to a senior card (not THE senior card), but something that allowed them to pay a little less for prescriptions than if they didn't have it.

Everything else came out of their own pocket, including the $500K entry fee (five years ago) when my dad had to go into care, and then it was another $750 per week on top of that from his own funds for the same care that the person in the next bed got for nothing more than the majority of the pension (with nothing much to spend it on anyway once you get to those places, except maybe a haircut).

It annoyed the crap out of my parents, but what is the alternative. I am very proud that they were clever enough, and worked hard enough not to be eligible for any pension, but most of their friends spent all their money on ciggies, hair treatments, holidays etc, and then when the salary stopped, they complained the pension wasn't enough to live on comfortably :roll eyes:.

We greedy investors won't get any pension, are subsidising renters, keeping the government in funds with stamp duty and land tax, look after our money... but I'd rather do that than have to rely on the pension in my dotage.

I know my parents somehow were entitled to a senior card (not THE senior card), but something that allowed them to pay a little less for prescriptions than if they didn't have it.

My parents too--they have worked hard all their lives and gone without, paid their taxes and yet received not one iota from the government in any form. They now have a seniors card, which helps with all their prescriptions--that's all. They would never dream of expecting anything from the government. I can't speak for all oldies though.

their attitude is not uncommon. from a generation that demonstrated a good work ethic. welfare dependency was not common for them or their peers.

many will need welfare from cradle to the grave. some because they have no option for others they may believe it is their right to be supported.

I don't understand this? The only people who may need welfare from the 'cradle to the grave' may be people with disabilities who require constant assistance, otherwise EVERYBODY has the opportunity to support themselves.
If we begin teaching this in school curriculum it may dissolve the feeling of some of the populace who 'believe it is their right to be supported'.

Are you referring to corporate welfare, which dwarfs social welfare?

I do believe this needs to be reigned in also, but how does a liberal government (please don't let this thread turn into another liberal vs labour'a'thon) who must be seen to support big business change this?

Mum's friends and rellies who are SF retirees retired 20 to 30 years ago with what was, in those days, a nice nest egg returning much higher returns than they get today. Those who are still alive have given away a lot of the capital to their kids and grandkids and otherwise drawn down the capital and now have nothing left.

The Age Pension they can get ( as tiny as it may be) and the concessions that come with it.

Then they are not true "self funded" retirees and must fall below the asset level.

I have friends who are fully SF'd and don't receive a cent off the government, even tho they are full time carers of three school aged grandchildren

that would be my thinking too lizzie. self funded means just that.

what are these concessions worth to those seeking same? or is it more about an ideology of entitlement?

Then they are not true "self funded" retirees and must fall below the asset level.

Lizzie, we're talking about them getting *maybe* 40 or 50 bucks a fortnight from the Age Pension. The majority of the time, they apply to get the concession cards and whatnot. It's not for the pension itself.

Take into account the trend towards employing people on a part time or casual basis - not just here, but all over the Western world - the continual exporting of jobs overseas and a rickety economy.
No; wrong.

Didn't you hear the stats?... the economy is swimmingly, and there are 100,000 jobs created every month.

Update;

just announced on ABC news this morning; there is "an alarming increase in customers who are unable to pay their utility bills"

Last edited:
What is the income threshold to gain a seniors card (for prescription discount) for a person living on rental income

The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card is subject to an adjusted taxable income test which is indexed on 20 September each year. There is no assets test.

You should have an annual adjusted taxable income of less than:

$51,500 for singles
$82,400 for couples combined, or
$103,000 for couples combined, couples separated by illness or respite care, or where one partner is in prison
The adjusted taxable income limit is increased by $639.60 for each dependent child you care for.
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/commonwealth-seniors-health-card

Note - it's adjusted taxable income...
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...seniors-health-card/adjustable-taxable-income

I believe if you qualify for the card you will also get other benefits depending on where you live. Discounted council rates, discounted car rego, free/discounted long distance rail travel, discounted land line phones, etc etc.

Back