online shopping versus retail store

I know ... sheesh ... I know I should try and shop in store to support the community ...

BUT

I'm buying some outdoor furniture - went to 3 stores to price - can buy it online (in Australia) for 1/3rd less including shipping (save $500).

Bought daughter an Ipod Touch for 1/3rd less than at Dick Smith (save $100).

Bought books for various family member from A&R online as there is no decent bookstore left in Newcastle now that A&R and Borders have left town.

Bought some really cool novelty items for the kids online as they are not
available anywhere else.

Will buy magazine subscription for inlaws online.

Bought some really lovely pendants from the online mall Etsy for myself, mum and grandmum.

I did buy a some quality home made stuff at the local farmers market that is not available in retail stores ... but the only retail shop bought items for Christmas this year I can count on one hand.

Sad in a way as the shops are struggling - and I haven't been an online shopper until recently - but let's be realistic too ... savings of nearly $1,000 all up and no days of trapsing around or packed shopping malls

This is why I don't think commercial retail property in the Eastern States is a good idea. There's not many businesses out there that can cope with paying $3,000 per sqm p.a when there's less tourists and international students due to the high A$, more online shopping which takes away business and also squeezes margins, high cost of labour due to Labour's backward labour laws...

Have almost completed my Xmas shopping and have purchased a lot online.

Some items might be from overseas, but other items like the last 2 delivered this past week were from Borders and Dymocks (both were the cheapest I could find the item for).

Australian retail needs to expand to online or just go online if that's what it takes.

Things change and everyone inc. business has to be flexible.

Last edited:
I've been shopping on line for years, and I love it.

We also bought our outdoor setting on line but physically collected it from the north coast when we were there on holidays. At that stage, there was no delivery from this particular seller.

There has been a lot of press because Westfield Chermside has introduced paid parking if you stay more than three hours (I think). Where I work at Carindale, they have been changing the parking layout because we will be paying for parking from March 2012.

If they really were only trying to discourage commuters parking all day, catching a bus to the city and not spending money in the centre, they could simply use a system where a docket is exchanged for free parking, but it clearly is not just for that reason. If I cannot fit in the staff car park I will have to pay $20 to park whilst I work a full day. I would actually rethink my job there if that happens.

I've emailed Westfield personally and signed a petition. Business is apparently down at Chermside since the paid parking was introduced several weeks ago, so I'm hoping they realise they may not lose money immediately because leases are locked in, but once those businesses pull out after their current lease runs its course, or go broke, Westfield will possibly have trouble filling empty stores, and it will trickle down and they will realise they have shot themselves in the foot.

I guess the timing is probably good for them, because the Christmas shopping will mean people will not boycott the centre to the same extent as any other time of year.

Westfield is also pushing their on line presence... maybe hedging their bets.

Interesting times ahead.

It's adapt or die. We decided to go online in a big way 5 years ago. More than 50% of our sales are now completed online and our turnover has tripled in the last 5 years.

we are getting together with the family for christmas, we are a little time poor these days so bought everyone a cook book online the prices were great and the books were very nice. I hate shopping malls with a passion unless im specifically after something so this is great for me.

Good hot food businesses when you need to eat there are then are less affected by online - so are products that are not easily shippable and are of a more exclusive / personalised nature.

If a whole lot or retail shops become vacant, rents may need to fall a little, however there are always plenty of room for converting shops to offices (non retail) businesses if the price point is right. In eastern suburbs or Melbourne many traditional shops in side streets that were once milk bars or bakeries are being converted to offices with a shop front. To the renter this is still more cost effective than moving into a large office complex, and they have street frontage if wanted and ground floor access for deliveries. Not everyone can or wants to work from home, and within this market of ex shop turned offices, you'll struggle to find many decent ones vacant. It is just a transformation of using floor space for slightly different purpose. Demand is still there.

The next generation are going to be so online savvy, it will be intersting.

Speak to business brokers and they will tell you how hard it is to sell some retail businesses at minute. No one wants them even if it is presently making a good return.

It's adapt or die. We decided to go online in a big way 5 years ago. More than 50% of our sales are now completed online and our turnover has tripled in the last 5 years.

I can very much see how some businesses have improved.

The www has more customers 24/7, than foot traffic.

Take a biz as simple as a pre loved designer clothing store that sells on consignment.

One woman I know has one, and business has increased since going online (sells much less through the physical shop).

She keeps the shop open mainly to source clothing.

I am always very busy and the last thing I want to do when I get home is go out again.Its is so much easier to sit down relax and buy the presents online.

I understand we should buy local,but the more I try and buy local,the more I relize I can get it cheaper online.

Supercheap now have an online store,but when I went to buy online with them,I found out I couldn't pick it up at the local shop and had to wait until they delivered it.

Well Lizzie, aren't you a godsend? Recently I've been through all the brick and mortar outdoor sellers without much luck. Hopefully this is more fruitful. :)

It certainly is easier to compare. Just google "online outdoor furniture" as there were a few more places.

I go online shopping too- usually for books or things I can't find at the normal shop. I bought myself a few birthday presents yesterday- an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner (eBay), a yoghurt maker (eBay) and a bottle of perfume (Strawberrynet). We also just purchased Christmas presents for our interstate nieces and nephews from online bookstore Fishpond.

I also buy a lot of plants online- eBay, Daley's Fruit, etc. It's good for when you're looking for things that aren't stocked at your local nursery or Bunnings.

However, for clothing, I always shop at the retail outlet!

Myer had a special event at selected shopping malls. As I had been eyeing something for a few months and my friend who could get a discount was there. I went to a popular shopping mall at 8ish pm. The parking was a shock, there were no parking spots at all! People were leaving their shopping in their car and returning to the stores. I managed to find a parking spot. Grab what I wanted.. and what happens? Nobody is available to take my payment. :( about 20 minutes and 2 queues later I get my item. It's 9.15pm and I just want to go home!

Spoke to some leasing people for Chadstone and Northland (VIC) recently, they quoted ''temporary/short-term'' leases at these sites as being a minimum of 50k per MONTH (even higher for 5x5 leases) !

Not sure how retailers make any money with leases this expensive?!

Spoke to some leasing people for Chadstone and Northland (VIC) recently, they quoted ''temporary/short-term'' leases at these sites as being a minimum of 50k per MONTH (even higher for 5x5 leases) !

Not sure how retailers make any money with leases this expensive?!

lol....and that excludes outgoings...

For most businesses to remain profitable rent has to be ~10% of their takings. At those insane levels that number goes up to 20-30% - and that's when you start to go bust.

I try to support local, but even when I ask for service and can't get it why would I bother? My biggest problem with online shopping is when mistakes are made, some have good customer service but some are terrible

My dad owns a small Mitre10 store in Adelaide. They, and their retail neighbours, are doing it tough.

I dont care if I can save $150 online, or even at a larger store - I will always buy from a small family owned business first - even if I have to go out of my way.

I should also add that a lot of the stock in their shop is purchased from other small local manufacturing businesses. Thereby supporting jobs in their local area.

Back