Open plan vrs Hallway

Hi All,

I'm considering removing an internal wall as part of a renovation to a small 2br unit. (see plan attached)

This would open up a small meals area into a much more usable space, however this will mean that the master bedroom will now be accessed directly from the meals/kitchen/living area.

Is the gain off approximately 0.8m to a 2.5m wide kitchen/meals area worth the trade off for the bed access issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, specifically or more generally about hallways versus open plan.

Cheers

Attachments

• Floor Plan.JPG
    Floor Plan.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
The wall really serves no useful purpose - its removal gives you much more space. I agree - assuming there are no structural issues, just do it!!

Cheers
LynnH

Yep, ditto!

The best thing about walls is demolishing them, (Slingshot 2007ish).
As LynnH mentioned be doubly sure that its not load baring and beware of BCorp requirements.

Cheers
SS

I'm going to be a party pooper and say no way .... not for me.
I like things separate. I hate open plan and would be turned off by that move if I was looking to buy, especially if I intended living there.

I hate looking into bedrooms and bathrooms from the living area. That little bit of space for privacy is not a big enough trade off ... JMO .... but I'm probably in the minority.

have to say i agree to an extent with Novar. Although my new place has an open sort of plan, it also has a bit of privacy for bedrooms similar to the current plan. I personally wouldnt like to walk back to the bedroom from the bathroom flashing my lovely legs at people cooking in the kitchen or watching tv in the lounge... You can also shut that area off from the living areas if one of the residents is wanting a little bit of quiet time..

Removaing the wall with the heater would add a nice touch though, and removing the actual door into the kitchen.
Up to you though, as either option has its advantages.

I'm with Carl and Novar. I would hate to have a kitchen (and a table with chairs cluttering up access) right outside my bedroom door.
But yes, remove the wall with the heater and perhaps the last metre of the long wall.
Scott

The market trend these days generally favours open plan. It'll make the place look a lot bigger and should add more value to the property (provided the walls are not load bearing which may bring significant cost).

Fin.

gotta remember that this is a unit - it is common not to have any hallways in units (bedrooms generally opening off loungerooms etc), so i think putting in a small meals area - a small round table with 2 foldup chairs - will only improve the value.

Have you thought about creating an opening in the wall and installing some nice bi-folding doors?

You can go up to 3.3 meters and have them all opening the one way. With a bit of glass in them, you get the light into the hallway while closed and also have the option of opening the space up when needed.

Cheers:):)

Mick

Last edited:
I think if it is not a load bearing wall, then remove it. The kitchen area will be much more attractive if it is big enough for a small dining set.

Hey,

Here's a quick render of what the space could look like with the walls removed. I'm not completely comfortable having bedrooms directly off a living area, but, if it was my dwelling I would certainly remove the walls if they are not load bearing.

Please excuse the noise and very poor lighting, it was merely a quick test.

Cheers,

axie

Attachments

• axie-reno-03.jpg
    axie-reno-03.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 105
I would remove the wall. I think the extra space more than makes up for the slight loss of privacy, but that is just me.

Wylie

If I was living there, I'd hate the lack of privacy if there was no wall. However if it was for investment or for sale purposes I'd remove it as it would give the impression of greater spaciousness.

The unit look svery small...even with a wall there doens't seem like there's much privacy and I suspect the hallway would be very narrow.

Yeah definately remove the wall. Open plan doesn't mean all the walls needs to be removed...you can still have walls to separate rooms but just half walls, the square cut through hole in the wall etc that will open up the house yet separate the rooms.

With an open plan house...you could have a bfst bar in the kitchen and stools if you get rid of that wall.

Doesn't really look like there's enough room for tables and chairs though.

If you get rid of the linen cupboada nd put a wall there you could still have hallway.

We have majority who would and minority who wouldn’t.

I wouldn’t, but this place is small, so any move to make it feel and look larger would increase sale value.

If wall is load bearing, cost of reinforcement added to other costs of project might make it value negative investment, so probably better value for live in option.

Back