Opinion Poll

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Good Evening Robert & All
I am still thinking Sans Souci will do well over the years.
I too like the idea of big blocks, old houses waiting for some cosmetic face lift (small scale), sit on the rent for a while, then demolish and rebuild, or perhaps develop.
Just need to get the 400K plus to break into the suburb...old weatherboard (2-3Br)house on land.
Did some more prospecting through Rockdale back to Peakhurst/Mortdale. Appears promising in parts.
Lots more high-rise apartment blocks breaking out through Rockdale either side of Princes Highway...maybe overkill / glut?
500m south is Kogarah??
Some nice, quality developments there, same infrastructure as Rockdale...who knows, maybe a few 'latte joints' and the place could take off ;>)
Cheers Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Parts of Kogarah are good. About two
years ago a small antique store opened
on the highway. My God! I thought, you've
got to be kidding. Well it does a roaring
trade, now has a coffee shop in there that
is full on the weekend. I once read
somewhere that when the antique stores
move in you know you have yuppies and a
suburb on the move! Lower rise
development is better too. Rockdale
looks very overcrowded to me and I don't
like multi-storey cookie-cutter high-rise.
To much competition for sales and
rentals.

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

I actually live in the Kogarah/Carlton area and am currently seeing an over supply in the unit market.

Rents have gone down and unit prices have gone down by 10% from their highs earlier last year. The rents have also dropped off for the housing market too.

From where I live to the train station 3 blocks of houses (11 houses in total) have been knocked down and have units built on them.

But I think if you move away from about 300-500m parallel from the railway line on both sides then you have a chance.

But that is just my thoughts on this particular area.

Cheers
Robert

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Just outside the St george area you have some other great suburbs that keep looking better and better, they are:

Narwee, Riverwood, Peakhurst and even Beverley Hills (southside)

All of these are under 20 mins by train to the city and 5-10 mins to the airport (direct!)

Then there is the new extension of the M5 motorway to consider which will knock 20-30 mins off travel time to the city Making it 20 mins to the city by car.

All of the above areas have excellent shopping and beverley hills esspecially has an excellent cafe scene, station, shops and cinema(s) also its 2 mins drive to hurstville, which in my opinion is becoming a clone of parramatta. I wont mention anything about the dodgey council... sorry Mr Dominelli.

All of this of course is just my observation and opinion. I'll Go check out the residex data on these areas and get back to you all

ciao
Sam

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Ahh the M5! My father has bought at Holsworthy a few years back, and the major influence was the M5 and new rail link to the Airport. and good 1/4 achr blocks still for under 250K, most still have the old Army houses on them. I think once the M5 is finished, there will be a nice jump in value around there, and not a unit block in sight! there are a few dulpexes going up, and i heard a rumor that the council will not approve developments like Units or Villa style buildings. and its a easy 30 min drive to pretty much anywhere in Syd. nice and central.

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Robert I agree. Holsworthy, Hammondville, Casula. Excellent shops, transport, medical etc. Approximately 35 mins by rail to the city, M5 to Airport soon to be complete which makes the city a quick drive too. Services second to none, property still relatively cheap compared to the rest of Sydney. Excellent capital gains over the last couple of years but still affordable. Glen Regent Estate in Casula has beaut walking tracks and green belts, no units, close to station, shops, schools but far enough out of Livepool and its hustle, still very affordable with quality homes ranging from huge to duplex style. Holsworthy has many new homes but mainly older style ex Defence houses - good rentals and still very solid houses, it is adjoining the new estate of Wattle Grove which is much like Glen Regent except it has a lot of army tenants and a shopping centre.

Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Hi

I can't believe how Holsworthy has grown. Lived there in the early 80's. What a dump.

But can now see what the area has to offer. Is there still a police presence in Sananada Park?

If that goes i can see that there is potential there.

Cathy

Back