Opinions on Boarding House

Hi, dose any one here own or be familiar with boading house? Is it a good investment in terms of capital growth/or cash flow? What return rate you would expect for boarding house? I'm currently interested in a boarding house in the inner west of Sydney but I don't konw to much about this type of IP. So any comment or advice is welcome!:)

Thanks.

A lot depends on the quality and types of the tenants.
Is it student or traveller based or for those on govt pensions etc?

Need to consider:
- Implication of it being a commercial loan (int, lvr, resale)
- Implications of it being commercial insurance
- Property zoning
- Expenses
- Who will PM it for you (resi PMs don't like boarding houses)
- Regulations & whether the property conforms (eg fire, room size, bins, people:toilet ratio etc)
- Whether the premises is actually licenced
- Common area maintenance

I've got a licenced 6 room share house. It is great for cash flow but it has numerious downsides as I've listed above.

Thanks for your reply, everyone!

A lot depends on the quality and types of the tenants.
Is it student or traveller based or for those on govt pensions etc?

It got a mixed type of tenants. A couple of pensioners and several young people. However, no student. The selling agent told me it has a very low turnover rate at 2 or 3 move in/out per year.

This boarding house currently contains 10 rooms and 4 self-contained unit at the back. However, the size of rooms are quite small, most between 9-10sqm. Some rooms can only fit in a single bed and another one or two small furnitures. The interiors including fixture and fitting are all in an old state. It only has a call-in only telephone and no Internet connection.

I've got a licenced 6 room share house. It is great for cash flow but it has numerious downsides as I've listed above.

Great helps!Twitch.

The boarding house has a residential 2C zoning and both neighbouring property are 3-story unit complex. (However, even with the 2C zoning, council only allows a maximum floor space ratio at 0.5:1 which seems no difference with a 2A zoning :(

Quite surprising the boarding house is managed by the same selling agent who only requires a 5.5% GST incl. management fee.

But the figure looks not so attractive. It shows a gross annual return at 7% and the figure will be reduced to 6% if the outgoings (council, water, electricity and insurance) are deducted. Considering the agent management fee and other maintenance/repair cost the nett return will be below 5.5%. I heard some boarding houses can get as much as 10% gross return.

The only plus is it has an approved DA to demolish the existing 4 self-contained unit and then rebuild a two-story 9 self-contained unit. That could increase the future return.

It's a business not a passive investment.

Yes. unless we pay extra to get it managed by agents.

Martin, use the search feature. This has been discussed many times before.

I searched the forum and found several threads are quite useful! thanks!

Back