Opinions on reno/reval

Hi All,
I have a question. I am considering renovating the outside of a property that I have. I have already done the inside. The outside really needs a paint and I want to paint the roof and put in a new shower inside.

Now I don’t want to do the work at this point in time unless I know that I can get a reasonable revaluation done after the work is complete. The thing is Im having trouble deciding whether the reval will come in at a good price or not. Here are some of the things that are influencing me,

Pro's
- The market where the house is located is currently still strong. Dunno for how long though. A strong market will help the valuer to come to a better valuation than a downward trending market
- Currently there is a tenant in the property (coming to the end of their first 6 month lease and they are happy to allow me to do the work while they are there
- The tenants really wants the new shower

Cons
- I called up a heap of real-estate agents and I got all different ideas about what it might be worth after the work. When I look on line at similar properties that are selling at about the price I want my reval to come in at, I find that many are better than mine in terms of renovations (i.e. new kitchen etc) mine has an older kitchen). So I look at those and think, that I may be a little over zealous with regards to what my target revalue is. However, my place is normally always in a better location and its a corner block (which seem to be worth a little more).

Ive already lifted the rent from $80 pw when I bought it to $150 now. Will that assist me in my valuation? I believe that this will have little to no bearing.

I don’t really want to get a valuer in their now to give me an estimate before the work is done as I don’t think that they will envisage the end product and I think they would be conservative under these conditions.

I suppose the down side is not that bad i.e. low reval. However, I'm doing this to take advantage of another opportunity so I sort of need to be careful how I allocate these funds at this point in time.

What do you guys think.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Panda

Hi Panda

The revaluation will be difficult if the work is not already done. However it is amazing what a coat of paint will do!

I have just had a deck/external paint added to PPOR and the place looks fantastic. My revaluation should be interesting as the market is cooling here in Gladstone.

As always you should do your due diligence with the numbers (crystal ball stuff) cost/return/reval etc. Sometimes you just need to take a risk and be amazed at the results.

Regards

Panda,

What's the downside in having a reval done - a few hundred bucks, less the value of the knowledge imparted? And the potential upside? It's your call, but I know what I'd be doing. :D

Thanks,
Yeah I think I will do the reno and see how it goes. The down side is not that bad and the up side is good. So I wont lose as such.

Thanks for the comments,

Cheers,

Panda

Back