Opps...The Bank "lent" us an extra $250,000

As I have said I'm still pondering the issues and thought the forum would able to offer some constructive advice or share their experience.

One thing I am certain is that it is not Fraud as some suggest. That would imply that I deliberately deceived the bank in order to obtain a financial advantage and this is simple not the case.

But it would be if you keep it.

Keeping money you pick up on the street is also stealing. Stealing by finding I think is the term.

A person who finds a thing, and does not make a reasonable attempt to find its owner also commits the offence of stealing. This is sometimes referred to as stealing by finding. A reasonable attempt to find the owner might simply be handing the item in to police.

Or advising the lender??

Interesting huh?:)

Kristine & Sailor are right (unfortunately) :mad:

There is a legal concept 'Theft by Finding' which would likely cover this situation. It is exactly the same as if you saw someone drop their wallet and you picked it up and kept it. Basically you are required to make 'resonable' attempts to locate the owner of the property and return it.

If on the other hand you found a 'fifty bucks' on the ground and no one around (ie didn't see who dropped it etc) you would be quite entitled to keep as there is no reasonable prospetc of finding owner of property.

In the current case it is quite obvious who the property belongs to.

As a long term bank stock shareholder it annoys me to hear about these stupid bank blunders which continually get made.

Jase

If interest is being paid it is not theft by finding.
Am I responsible for other peoples errors.????????????............I don't think so.
you are not honour bound or morally bound to do anything since you are paying for the privilege of borrowing funds. You are not stealing .

Getting extra pay in your salary or finding money in the street are very different situations where you may have a moral or legal duty.
As Les suggested I would be reading the mortgage documents very very carefully.............................................................in the Bahamas:D

If interest is being paid it is not theft by finding.
Am I responsible for other peoples errors.????????????............I don't think so.
you are not honour bound or morally bound to do anything since you are paying for the privilege of borrowing funds. You are not stealing .

Getting extra pay in your salary or finding money in the street are very different situations where you may have a moral or legal duty.
As Les suggested I would be reading the mortgage documents very very carefully.............................................................in the Bahamas:D

Redsquash,

A 'financial advantage' does not have to be a straight monetary one (ie cash or deposited salary), it can be access to loaned funds which one is not legitimately entitiled (ie regardless as to whether one is paying interest on those funds or not).

I have previous experience working as a Fraud Investigator for the AFP both as part of ACTPolicing and Eastern Operations.

This situation is only different in that the person receiving the extra loaned funds did originally intend to deceive in order to receive them, but once that person realises their 'windfall' 'the banks error' whatever you want to refer to it as if they don't then make reasonable attempts to bring this to the attention of the lender than they are being deceptive by 'ommision'. Remember an overt act is not always required to break the law but in some instances the mere 'omision' or not doing something can be enough.

Jase

If it was me, I'd notify the bank. Chances are they will find out within a couple of months anyway, and take it back.

You have the option of looking good to them by notifying them of it before they find out, in which case they should be greatful. Or if they find out themselves, you run the risk of irritating them, and then there probably are ways they can make your life more difficult in regards to your other loans etc.

I just don't think it's worth the potential hassle for the interest you'll save in the next few months before they find out (assuming they don't reverse the interest saved once they find out). They'll find out sooner or later and you'll be back to the normal LVR/limit's etc. so you may as well look "good" in their eyes than "bad".

Just my two cents :)

Cheers
Steve

Why didn't you just ring the lender as soon as you became aware and ask them to fix it up instead of putting it on offset against a different property? Or why didn't you pay it to the correct loan yourself?

I think it is clear what the right thing to do is.

Integrity and courage are easily defined as doing the right thing at the right time.

Anything else is just trying to rationalise or defend your decisions.

Call me old fashioned but I cannot believe there is anyone on this forum that would not contact the Bank immediately upon noticing the error - if the boot was on the other foot there would be all types of screaming and gnashing of teeth.

Call the same bank, same branch and say you have $250,000 to invest !
Then ask what can they do for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redsquash,

A 'financial advantage' does not have to be a straight monetary one (ie cash or deposited salary), it can be access to loaned funds which one is not legitimately entitiled (ie regardless as to whether one is paying interest on those funds or not).

I have previous experience working as a Fraud Investigator for the AFP both as part of ACTPolicing and Eastern Operations.

This situation is only different in that the person receiving the extra loaned funds did originally intend to deceive in order to receive them, but once that person realises their 'windfall' 'the banks error' whatever you want to refer to it as if they don't then make reasonable attempts to bring this to the attention of the lender than they are being deceptive by 'ommision'. Remember an overt act is not always required to break the law but in some instances the mere 'omision' or not doing something can be enough.

Jase

All good points Jase and thank you for your input but you are making some huge assumptions IMHO.
I don't think you are necessarily wrong but in my view it is not cut and dry.

1 What financial advantage exists , since in return for the funds interest is being paid at market rate. Or put another way how is the bank being disadvantaged since the intention is to pay back the loan

Is a LVR of 188% a windfall.........not in my view but it is unusually high. You would be very surprised to find what courts deem reasonable and unreasonable.
Under what conditions must a person bring an error to another persons/companies attention.
When are you not required to do this.
I would be very interested to hear your reply on that.
I am not aware of a fiduciary duty to to inform a lender of their errors

With your experience I think people should listen carefully to your input , but not take it as gospel.
I look forward to your next post

Our Bank has kindly lent us an extra $250,000.
I mean, $250,000 more than they approved, $250,000 more than the mortgage documents, $250,000 more than the valuation and security with an LVR of 188%.

I think herein lies the rub. If you buy some thing from a shop and you are given more change than you should get, do you do the right thing and give it back????

If something is wrong, it is wrong and I think that it is incumbent upon us all, as honourable and morally well adjusted people to do the right thing.

If they had only allowed you $125K, would you have been this long pondering your options.........me thinks not!!

I find it rather disappointing that so many people on this forum would council you to somehow keep what is not yours to keep, and I fear that sometime or other this thing will bite you on the bum and cost you a lot more than it is worth.

It aint yours, give it back.

Karma is a wonderful leveler.

Cheers Chrisv

Ps. Keep us in the loop, I think we can all learn from this.

All good points Jase and thank you for your input but you are making some huge assumptions IMHO.
I don't think you are necessarily wrong but in my view it is not cut and dry.

1 What financial advantage exists , since in return for the funds interest is being paid at market rate. Or put another way how is the bank being disadvantaged since the intention is to pay back the loan

To me this is cut and dry. The financial advantage is the use of/access to the $250,000, which one is not entitled to. You need to understand that interest being paid on the funds makes no difference. The bank is clearly disadvantaged by being unknowingly placed at risk of potentially losing their capital. This is due to the fact the funds are unsecured. As you mentioned the LVR is 188%! How can you say that the intention is to pay back the loan! when these are funds that the borrower has no right to have and they have not notified the bank of its error. Merely servicing a loan (ie paying interest) in no way shows an intention to pay back the loan.

Is a LVR of 188% a windfall.........not in my view but it is unusually high. You would be very surprised to find what courts deem reasonable and unreasonable.
See response to point 1. Clearly 188% LVR is a financial advantage the borrower is not entitled to.

Under what conditions must a person bring an error to another persons/companies attention.
When are you not required to do this.
I would be very interested to hear your reply on that.
I am not aware of a fiduciary duty to to inform a lender of their errors
Under all circumstances (where the error has come to your attention) where not doing so would amount to some type of criminal offence by ommision.

E.g. You are expecting ATO refund for $3000 and ATO fool accidently types an extra zero and deposits $30,000 into your account. At the time the funds are deposited into your account you have not committed an criminal act at all, but once you realise the error and decide not to bring it to the ATO's attention (ie. decide to keep the funds, whether or not you withdraw them) you have comitted theft. Simple.

With your experience I think people should listen carefully to your input , but not take it as gospel.
I look forward to your next post

The law is not generally as complex as some would like us to think. Generally, if some action/behaviour seems wrong there will often be a law to cover it.

I'm not a lawyer but as a Police Officer with 12 years experience in the AFP (last 2 and 1/2 in ACT Prosecutions section, and fraud investigation experince) I have a good practical understanding of both ACT and Commonwealth Legislation.

Cheers

Jase

Last edited:
I don't know what it is called, but what if ACA/TT came to your door with cameras and reporters?

If you think you'll look like a crook to Mr Joe Average on the TV then you know what to do.

To me this is cut and dry. The financial advantage is the use of/access to the $250,000, which one is not entitled to. You need to understand that interest being paid on the funds makes no difference. The bank is clearly disadvantaged by being unknowingly placed at risk of potentially losing their capital. This is due to the fact the funds are unsecured. As you mentioned the LVR is 188%! How can you say that the intention is to pay back the loan! when these are funds that the borrower has no right to have and they have not notified the bank of its error. Merely servicing a loan (ie paying interest) in no way shows an intention to pay back the loan.

See response to point 1. Clearly 188% LVR is a financial advantage the borrower is not entitled to.

Under all circumstances (where the error has come to your attention) where not doing so would amount to some type of criminal offence by ommision.

E.g. You are expecting ATO refund for $3000 and ATO fool accidently types an extra zero and deposits $30,000 into your account. At the time the funds are deposited into your account you have not committed an criminal act at all, but once you realise the error and decide not to bring it to the ATO's attention (ie. decide to keep the funds, whether or not you withdraw them) you have comitted theft. Simple.

The law is not generally as complex as some would like us to think. Generally, if some action/behaviour seems wrong there will often be a law to cover it.

I'm not a lawyer but as a Police Officer with 12 years experience in the AFP (last 2 and 1/2 in ACT Prosecutions section, and fraud investigation experince) I have a good practical understanding of both ACT and Commonwealth Legislation.

Cheers

Jase

HI Jase, nice reply and I am now more aware.
However, you wrote
The financial advantage is the use of/access to the $250,000, which one is not entitled to.
This is an assumption and not fact. The author of this thread said it was a mistake , but that is just a guess.We don't know for a fact , why the bank has given this amount, just as we don't know why banks sometimes reject our applications.What if a disgruntled employee approved this. That is not a mistake. My point is we We don't really know
Maybe its a mistake ,probably its a mistake , but we don't know it is a mistake for a fact.

Thus if your premise is wrong then your logic is wrong.
The bank is not disadvantaged as the amount has been approved and all collateral documentation is in their hands.
if you can prove its a mistake then consequeces follow according to your work based experience.

It is not up to an individual to validate company decisions.
one might say with all the resources and checks a Bank has it would be inconceivable that such a large amount of money could be lent by mistake.
I have never heard of this so even if I think its a mistake , I must be wrong. !!

I seriously doubt anyone would go to jail.
How do you know the borrower has no right to have these funds.Do you know the thinking of the approving officer?

Are you aware of famous legal case where a boat advertised for sale, which could do approximately 15knots could in fact only do 5knots.
The court ruled that 5 knots was an acceptable figure and the contract could not be rescinded based on the advertised speed of the boat.
I think the outcome is ridiculous , but what I think is irrelevant.
So I repeat that an LVR of 188% to me is not excessive although unusual. I wonder what a court would think. not even double.

I pretty much believe what you have written , however you are applying
your general knowledge to this specific case using several incorrect assumptions IMHO.

Originally Posted by redsquash
So I repeat that an LVR of 188% to me is not excessive although unusual. I wonder what a court would think. not even double.

Personally I would find an LVR of 188% extremely excessive. I doubt you would find one financial insto. anywhere, ever, that would give you 188% LVR if you were up front and honest about the transaction and they had all the facts.

Even "rich" people would'nt get that sort of LVR unless they backed it up with other financial assets ie. for a stand alone investment of $xxx for 1 IP, it would be impossible to get 188% LVR (in current times anyway).

Cheers
Steve
PS If anyone ever finds an insto. like this - PLEASE let me know :D

Back