Ordering home delivery online?

Hey, does anyone know of any websites that let you order home delivery from a range of restaurants in your area?

I used to live in the UK and this was pretty common, I guess a different demographic and population density, but a good idea non the less.

Would be interested if this is happening in oz, and if any of you are using it?

I don't know of any website like this.. I don't think it would catch on since its just as easy to order take-away over the phone.

Ordering your groceries online and having them delivered when it suits you - now that is a good idea! They do some things right in the UK :)

Dominoes pizza does. Never used it though! And I order groceries online, using Banana Blue - have been doing this from time to time for a number of years. Coles does it too. So we do it right here too!

Yeah, there is something in my area called 'Menus 2 go'.

It's basically a service that 'adds' home delivery to the local restaurants. Kinda like a concierge service. Many many restaurants to choose from, the order book is like a phone book.

I thought it was too expensive though. If you were paying restaurant prices why not go down there so you don't have to wash up and you can enjoy the atmosphere.

Its only been recently that you can order groceries online through coles.. and you have to pay $5-15 each time. They've been doing it (free) in the UK for years. Thats the benefit of high density living.

Do they deliver to South Australia Dave? Bloody hell, I was being good and just ate a salad for dinner and you talk about the best pizzas ever!

Yeah, there is something in my area called 'Menus 2 go'.

It's basically a service that 'adds' home delivery to the local restaurants. Kinda like a concierge service. Many many restaurants to choose from, the order book is like a phone book.

I thought it was too expensive though. If you were paying restaurant prices why not go down there so you don't have to wash up and you can enjoy the atmosphere.

So Menu's 2 Go deliver on the restaurants behalf then? Would you use them if they were cheaper?

Yes.

The one I saw seemed to only do expensive restuarants. If they did the fast causal / medium priced restuarants I might use them. They could still charge the same delivery fee, it's not like they profit from the food.

Yea thats the sort of market I was thinking of.. its just a side business idea I have been pondering on for a while.

Might do some better market reasearch :)

What would be an ideal delivery price for being able to order online and get your favourite indian/chinese/thai food delivered to your door?

I would be happy to pay the normal price I would pay for takeaway - which in SA would be around $13 for Indian, say $3 for rice, naan etc; then a delivery charge on top - $10. I dont think this kind of thing works in the normal metro area; in Noosa for instance, it is fantastic because people are on holidays, they may not have a car, are tired after a day of the beach but do want a good meal but not want to cook it. The business is great. They even deliver booze, plus grocery supplies. But most of the accommodation and restaurants are within a fairly small geographic area.

Bummer... I've used a really good cheap one before...so unbelievably awesome after drinking at home with your mates and everyone is too wasted to move...

But alas. I can't remember so cannot help you.

I would be happy to pay the normal price I would pay for takeaway - which in SA would be around $13 for Indian, say $3 for rice, naan etc; then a delivery charge on top - $10. I dont think this kind of thing works in the normal metro area; in Noosa for instance, it is fantastic because people are on holidays, they may not have a car, are tired after a day of the beach but do want a good meal but not want to cook it. The business is great. They even deliver booze, plus grocery supplies. But most of the accommodation and restaurants are within a fairly small geographic area.

I disagree Pushka... I reckon ti WOULD work in a resi area. Just gota pick the areas (and the food) I live in a tourist area and it is GREAT having Coastal Cuisine" (no web address sorry :( ) I would have used it heaps when I lived in Bris.
Working mums, just give in and order pizza coz it's easy. It would have been great to have a choice.

BrendanG...post this over at FBT and see what response you get :)

Yea thats the sort of market I was thinking of.. its just a side business idea I have been pondering on for a while.

Might do some better market reasearch :)

What would be an ideal delivery price for being able to order online and get your favourite indian/chinese/thai food delivered to your door?

Hmmm...

I guess it would be somewhere between the cost of a taxi trip over the same distance and the petrol/tyres/etc of getting it yourself. So, that would depend on the area.

Maybe one fee per order for up to 3 items then extra per item or something like that.

Hmmm...

I guess it would be somewhere between the cost of a taxi trip over the same distance and the petrol/tyres/etc of getting it yourself. So, that would depend on the area.

Maybe one fee per order for up to 3 items then extra per item or something like that.

yea I have a few different payment models I have been looking into, possibly a % on the order total with a minimum spend, or maybe just a flat rate in a certain area.

Or get the restaurant to deliver and just charge a fee for providing the online service etc.. I just want to cash in on all those lazy/drunk/busy people that spend so much time online :)

I already have a website in development that is capable of this, im just working out the best demographic to launch it in, possibly a few different ones.

I disagree Pushka... I reckon ti WOULD work in a resi area. Just gota pick the areas (and the food) I live in a tourist area and it is GREAT having Coastal Cuisine" (no web address sorry :( ) I would have used

You just agreed with me - you live in an area that is a tourist area! The average spread out suburb is not; and as a result cost of travel and time to get the order and then deliver it will blow out. Almost needs to be done on a one one one basis, which isnt going to work!

Back