OTP help

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my partner's OTP purchase.

The contracts were signed in July 2011, with a 42 month sunset clause. Last month the developer called my partner and wanted to speak to her face to face regarding the apartment she purchased.

I decided that I would go along with her as I was curious as to why he needed to speak to her face to face. He said that there had been some delays getting some permits and that he needed her to sign a new contract. He offered a $3,000 discount and an air con if she signed the new contract. We obviously suspected something was up, so we said we'd think about it. He sent an email (see below):

Hi,

As discussed, there have been delays in dealing with government bodies and therefore the builder will not be fully mobilised until Dec 2013, which has pushed the completion date out to March 2015. The bank requires a 6 month buffer on the contract sunset clause and the completion date, in case of unforseen delays in construction. Although your contract will not expire within the construction phase, the bank would still like to see it extended until late 2015.

I have attached the letter that we need to sign in conjunction with the new contract of sale. I would suggest we date the new COS 17th May 2012, as this would satisfy the banks requirement (new sunset clause Nov 2015), and as I understand, will not disadvantage your FHOG, but do please check this date for yourself.

I'm basically looking for some advice on this forum as the solicitor we were using has not gotten back to us (too busy etc). Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The solicitor we spoke to was going to send them a letter asking for the deposit back, as she believed that basically the project is delayed and that is why they wanted her to sign another contract. But she has been busy and hasn't gotten around to doing so yet.

I had a look at their website and it says that construction has commenced, so I guess I'm not sure now :confused:

The reason why they need to sign another contract is to satisfy the bank, and also because changing something like the sunset clause constitutes a large variation to the original contract that they need your consent to do so.

They mentioned that it was supposed to be 8 floors but they have reduced it to 5 (probably because they couldnt see them all).

So you think that we should just wait for the sunset clause to expire and then get the deposit back?

So the project is delayed, AND it's smaller because they couldn't sell them. You don't think it's gone up since you signed. Why are you even considering settling?

So the project is delayed, AND it's smaller because they couldn't sell them. You don't think it's gone up since you signed. Why are you even considering settling?

Hi Alex,

If given the choice to NOT settle, we'd take it. I guess that's what we are trying to figure out. All throughout the conversation he kept reiterating that "you must settle".

Hi Alex,

If given the choice to NOT settle, we'd take it. I guess that's what we are trying to figure out. All throughout the conversation he kept reiterating that "you must settle".

salesman
bovine excrement
just wants you to sign a new contract before they breach the prior one
$3k + aircon is not enough

If he's asking you to sign a new contract, it means the old contract is null and void....

Same thing happened to us last year (we were offered a "nicer" stove as compensation). We didn't sign the new contract and got our deposit back (and ran). I had to annoy the sales agent for a few months before they finally gave our money back but it was an excellent decision I must say :p

Same thing happened to us last year (we were offered a "nicer" stove as compensation). We didn't sign the new contract and got our deposit back (and ran). I had to annoy the sales agent for a few months before they finally gave our money back but it was an excellent decision I must say :p

Hi cimbom,

I actually came across your thread while searching for advice. Good to see you got your deposit back! :)

Back