Our Journey Housesitting

Hi Everyone,
We have just finished up our first house sit in Woodend,Vic and just started our second sit in Gin Gin, Qld.
Woodend was a nice cozy place we stayed for a month. We had 2 dogs to keep us company, and a cat that came inside long enough to eat.Outside on the farm there were about 9 horses, duck and chooks.It was still a bit cool, so they said to keep the wood fire going all the time.They had just finished having a wetter winter than usual. Plenty of water for them, but we were still cautious, as they were on rain tank only.
Next we flew to Gin Gin, Qld where we are caring for an elderly dog, 3 cats, fish, 2 baby chicks inside, and about 30 heritage chooks outside.Stay for a week more, then we are off to Beenleigh, Qld to care for rescued baby wallabies, 3 dogs and cats.

Would we recommend housesitting? Certainly !
We have found that travelling to our "new home" takes half of our allowed monthly budget. They have all provided a vehicle for us, but we pay for the petrol. We keep our spending of groceries to the bare necessities, as we cannot easily take anything with us. We have been very good at scouring bargains in stores. Store and generic is sooooo much cheaper, and generally tastes the same.
We do not try to see everything in the towns we are at. We do a small bit each day..weather permitting.Come back home and have a cuppa.

Internet service in Australia is not as good as Canada (sorry).
The place in Woodend, we were supposed to be able to use the internet there. For whatever reason..we couldn't. Every couple of days we drove 15 minutes to a hot spot, so we could connect for free. Afterall we still our properties in canada to manage..with the help of our great supers.

Downfall:
1.Having to fit our food in a fridge, where the homeowners have not cleared a spot.I do not like using other peoples half used bottles of mayonnaise, ketchup etc.
2.In short house sits, you generally eat the same meals.
3.Costs of travel to get there, and then leaving to go the next.
4. Pillows in all sizes and shapes
5. Possibly not having anywhere to go, if your sits do not line up.

I like that I have not found a place where I would like to live permanently.That makes the next place exciting to go to.

Living in the country...remote places...no one locks their cars or homes.
I haven't done that since I was a kid.

It is so great seeing how other average families live.They believe people are generally good and trustworthy, thus using a stranger to care for their home and pets.
I like seeing different ways people use resources.
This lady uses hollow pieces of wood, and plants vegetables (tomatoes) in them.

Being homeowners, mature, retired couple,with animal experience has been a great asset.
I can see us doing this for a few more years.
Generally go after long housesits with a few short ones sprinkled in.

Wow! That sounds really cool!

Welcome to Oz :)

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on our beautiful country very much. Please keep us updated & keep enjoying the surrounds...despite the shoddy internet ;)

Gin Gin...a place i love passing through...tidy little joint though....

pretty boring if your a city slicker though..

suppose you can always sit on highway one and count the trucks that go past if things get real grim...:)

Any reason why you took on living in such a small place?

Good onya though....no way i could do it unless it was right next to the coast

hrmmmm something for me to research and consider when coming closer to retirement. I'd have a look into doing it overseas tho and hopefully longer then a month stay

Regards,

RH

Gin Gin...a place i love passing through...tidy little joint though....

pretty boring if your a city slicker though..

suppose you can always sit on highway one and count the trucks that go past if things get real grim...:)

Any reason why you took on living in such a small place?

Good onya though....no way i could do it unless it was right next to the coast

Hi,
We are not city slickers. Our town is a bit larger than Gin Gin though.
We chose this one, because it was in Qld, and relatively (5 hrs) from our next sit. It was available, and we had a 9 day vacancy between sits.Otherwise we would need to impose on my MIL.
Thought we would check out the "tunnel" if it ever stops raining long enough.
Maybe the place with the craters.
In Nova Scotia, we are always with 45 minutes of a coast. We're not really beach persons, so that helps.

That sounds awesome.

Did you go to The Village Larder in Woodend? GORGEOUS food!

Yes we did..but only for cappucinnos.(and free internet)
Being the tighwad :) I am, we do not go to restaurants any more than we need to.It is very difficult paying $3-4 for a coffee etc when we are used to paying $1.50 for twice as much in Canada.
Also there were places selling hotdogs for $5.00!!!
We had a favorite place where we paid $1.96 (in Canada) for 2 hotdogs,2 coffee, and 2 mini peppermint patties.

I cannot get over what you are charged for a donut, squares,cookies.
It is robbery:)
We generally pay $0.75 for these at our Tim Hortons coffee shop

I know there are sales everywhere, and being a local you would generally know where to find them.At our longer sits we may find them.

hrmmmm something for me to research and consider when coming closer to retirement. I'd have a look into doing it overseas tho and hopefully longer then a month stay

Regards,

RH

We do have a 5 month stay coming up 2 Nov-28 March, just a few minutes outside of Canberra.
I was there a few years ago, and propably have already seen most of the attractions.Hopefully there will be something new to discover.
Maybe a Subway in Belconnen???
Either way, it doesn't matter.
I can spend 5 months in snow and cold...or warmer weather in Australia.

Just on Canberra Kathryn, reminded me the National Library has heaps of (computers) free internet if you end up in town there. (Didn't require membership). Also every paper and magazine you could imagine.

I haven't come across a library that doesn't have free internet, however some of the smaller places will want you to join, it's just a wee bit of paperwork, no cost and you get a card. All the free papers and magazines too.

Generally speaking, bakeries will have half price (sometimes less) bread a day old.

Kathryn, your adventure sounds fun !
Did you organise your house-sits prior to coming to Oz or are you doing that as you go?
Where are you finding the house-sit places anyway?

Enjoy Oz and keep your posts coming.

Kathryn, your adventure sounds fun !
Did you organise your house-sits prior to coming to Oz or are you doing that as you go?
Where are you finding the house-sit places anyway?

Enjoy Oz and keep your posts coming.

Except for the house sit we are on now, we had them already organised.We googled House Sitting and joined the appropriate one for us.
We just have 1 month (last month here) to fill.

We are lucky our Canberra home owners have provided us with internet and taken care of all of the bills while we are there. They have also generously provided us a vehicle to drive while we are there.
I guess they see the value of us being willing to look after their 2 dogs, home and property.

Today we took a trip to Bundaberg, Qld and saw the sugar cane being harvested.They have carparks with cover sails...which is new to me.
Also visited the mystery craters on the way. Probably an effect from a volcano.
Yesterday we went thru the Boolboonda tunnel which is between Gin Gin and
Mt Perry.
Not sure what tomorrow will bring.

Rob used to always talk about 20c pineapples..and today we bought one for 39c. A bit small, and not quite ready to eat.
Bananas were 89c kg..which is a lot cheaper than Victoria.

What...!!!:eek:

No trip to the Bundaberg Rum factory? Shame on you two. :D

See ya's.

Well, we took your advice. Since today is our last day to sightsee before heading to Beenleigh, Qld tomorrow, we took the tour.
It was nice, but not worth $50.
We did get a couple of free drinks with it.
The liqueur is very good, and Rob liked the "draught" drink.

Back