Our sacrifice no more..Yay!

So what's something major you have had to sacrifice in order to invest in property? delaying the big trip, lifestyle changes, the dream car etc

For us..it's a huge one. We have lived at home since we got married in 2002! coz we are low income earners and we were also able to claim PPOR CGT exemptions for a ocuple of the houses we sold over the years. It was good but a bit tough when baby no 1 came along.

We've been talking about moving out forever and finally we are in the progress of moving into our own home. I am so happy since I actually quite like this house too. It's going to be so weird. Even got phone connected already.

and more....no mortgage! well still a little but that will be paid out soon. Can't believe it took us 6 years to get here.

But we did move into an IP coz it makes sense since it was very cheap and to buy a house like that now would cost $500k. We built it for $310k 2 yrs ago.

It's good to achieve this just before my big 30. I know it's not a huge achievement compared to many here but even lil things will motivate people.

Nice one Sue! I shuddered when I read this sentence:

"We have lived at home since we got married in 2002!"

I love my mum heaps, but I couldn't live with her again. It would drive me insane.

Mark

Nice one Sue! I shuddered when I read this sentence:

"We have lived at home since we got married in 2002!"

I love my mum heaps, but I couldn't live with her again. It would drive me insane.

How would your Mum hold up Mark? ;)

It's good to achieve this just before my big 30. I know it's not a huge achievement compared to many here but even lil things will motivate people.

Don't undersell yourself, that's a great achievement. Its always nice to have the inner glow when a long term plan pays off! You are indeed well ahead of many people.

So what are your plans re IP's after this?

how can you say it's not a huge achievement?

you own your own home before your 30!!! i just set myself up for another mortgage that is again out of our comfortable living standards.

we've had 3 kids in a renovated 2x1 (with a halved sleepout for 2 extra rooms) so we could afford this new place we're building. we bought it in 2002, again, which put us outside our confortable living stadards. now the old mortgage is nearly equal rent in the area.

so i'm hoping for this scenario again...

Well done Sue! Thats a great achievement!

Living at home and being a married couple since 2002 is a huge achievement in itself! My parents come to visit our daughter for 2hrs and overhears my hubby and i having a bit of a 'debate' and can't help but interfere and start taking sides and yelling at me :mad:....

Having said that, we built our first house back in 2004ish and sold it to get rid of our 'bad' debt and concentrate on producing 'good' debt......so i guess initially our biggest sacrifice was selling up our PPOR but now that we've been renting for the past 4yrs we're used to it and we don't see it as such a sacrifice anymore....just something we could do without until we're in a really good position to buy/build our PPOR with minimal debt and build ourselves a nice portfolio of debt-free properties bringing in a bucketload of rental income :D

So i can't really think of a really big sacrifice...just lots of small things that i wouldn't consider a huge sacrifice.

It's really weird actually...I'm so stupid...walked into the house and first thing I thought was what are we going to do with all this space! It's not even a big house.

Our bedroom is 3m x 3m and fits a double bed, huge desk, pc, laptop, fax, print, copier, a bookcase, 2 filing cabinets and a cot that hasn't been used for abt 2 yrs. We've never ever really had a 'marital' bed. It was weird to buy a nice bed. First thing i need is a separate office...the paperwork spills onto the bed and floor..it's crazy.

Hmm thinking about it now, no wonder our friends kept asking how we manage to live at home...it just became the norm. Drawback I guess is you can't walk around the house in the nude lol

buzz - I still have 2 IPs left that I will never sell coz they're +cashflow and good LVR and good tenants from day 1. But I'll keep building houses for re-sale and maybe pick up another IP in the next 6 mths for tax. But don't think I'll have time to do anything with 2 babies.

That's definitely one of the best things about having your own place.

Mark

Till your kids start saying things like, 'Hey Mum, wobble ya bum!' and then it looses its appeal.

Congratulations Sue, that is a great achievement. I think we appreciate things more when we have to sacrifice for them, and you will really want the space when your 2 lovely bubs arrive.

It is sometimes easy to get caught up in the 'what's next' thinking, your post reminded me of the line in Max Ehrmann's Desiderata, 'Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.'.

By the way has your morning sickness eased off? You are sounding more positive lately, so I hope that is the case.

Congrats Sue,

Yes the jokes can fly
But I probably hasten to add that the sacrifice was for Mum and Dad
and with the little ones you have
It may someday come time when you too will need to repay the favour.

Lots of joy and luck in the future.

Our bedroom is 3m x 3m and fits a double bed, huge desk, pc, laptop, fax, print, copier, a bookcase, 2 filing cabinets and a cot that hasn't been used for abt 2 yrs.
Good lord, how does anything fit? Our bedroom is 4.3x4.3 ... but then again so are 3 other rooms in the house. The others are bigger ...

Rooms bigger than about 4 metres wide start to get really weird, I originally set up my bedroom in a room that was well over 5 metres long, realised it was just tooooo big, and ended up with a bed, two very large desks, cupboards, TV, stereo etc all in the one room, and nothing in any other rooms except the kitchen and bathroom!

rumpled - yeah we sleep between the desk and the wall. It also had BIR. I can't believe we will have a bigger master bedroom 4m x 4m with a WIR and ensuite with just a bed in there. I feel so spoilt lol

The ironic thing is that I build new houses all the time.

Louise - MS has eased off but have the stretching pains, hips and back..sigh..I don't look huge but really feel the weight with 2 ..always breathless, no appetite, heartburn and I'm only half way. How are you feeling?

The ironic thing is that I build new houses all the time.

Louise - MS has eased off but have the stretching pains, hips and back..sigh..I don't look huge but really feel the weight with 2 ..always breathless, no appetite, heartburn and I'm only half way. How are you feeling?

Hehe, I wonder sometimes at my 'need' to provide tenants with space and facilities I have never had myself. We put up with just about anything - that domestic blindness sets in and we just forget about the problems at our PPOR.

My MS has been diagnosed as hyperemesis gravidarum and is not getting better even now I am past that first trimester. I am sooo skinny and rely on zofran to get through each day. I am on SS a lot to take my mind off it a bit. I am really struggling but the baby is doing very well.

I hope this pregnancy thing isn't contagious (mine turns 1 in a few weeks). I just sorted all the outgrown baby clothes in the cupboard, declared I have enough clothes and linen for 3 babies, and then someone wished me triplets ... apparently ours is really cute, and the world needs more cute in it. Or something.

oh no that's terrible. poor you. yeah apparently the more sick you are the more healthy bub is so i uess it's good...it will probably ease off around 16 weeks. Mine did just the past few weeks though I still vomit once a day but at least the all day nausea has gone and I do have more energy.

i was advised - to avoid the morning throw - the secret is eat something before you even get out of bed, preferably a gingernut, but i couldn't face them so ate sao's. still felt nauseous but really helped in not throwing up.

i lived on sao's for the first 6 months and couldn't stand the smell of anything cooking.

Back