Outside dunnies

Travelbug,
As you have said your interest is travelling, have you never eaten breakfast in a motel room?
Slim:)

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to think of one. So the answer is-
NO!!

I go to the eating room (usually called dining room or buffet).

I have stayed in apartments that have a small kitchen but they haven't been right next to the bathroom.

Ok thought of one. In China I made 2 minute noodles and ate them in the room. It was near the bathroom (as the whole room was only 4.5 X 2.5m).

But think of a bathroom next to a kitchen where you are there more than 8 hours. You HAVE to go to the toilet and it will smell. I wouldn't want that near a kitchen. What if you are making dinner and someone uses the bathroom. I still stand by my YUK!!!

My first house had the loo outside on the stair landing. Out the back door, turn right to the loo, or left to go down the stairs.

The airlock was supposed to be the main house back door and the loo door, but someone moved the main back door to the top of the stairs, so there was no airlock. This was such a common thing in queenslander style houses that it was not unusual and you still see it now in unrenovated houses.

It would not stop me buying a place to rent though, as it can always be changed when we are ready.

We have three queenslander houses and all three have bathrooms straight off the dining area. I always cringe when I think of having someone over to eat and having to use the loo just one wall away. These doors have fancy breezeways over the doors so they are not airtight either.

Whilst I don't like the idea, and would change it if I lived there, we have had no problems renting these houses. Probably because people who live in Brisbane, were brought up in old houses and are used to this set up.

Of course, when the houses were built, the loos were not in the bathrooms, but down the stairs and down the back yard, so they were not designed this way.

Back