Oven blown.......who pays?

Just wondering who pays for this?
Got a call from PM saying that the Oven blows and need replacing.

I was under the impression that when the landlord rent out the property, it's working, and if tenant break it later, tenant fix it.

I was a tenant once too..........

I see this as a fixture so it would be up to the landlord to replace it.

Unless you can prove that the tenant caused the breakage through misuse, though I think that one would be rather hard to prove.

gess, basic stuff, stop whinging and replace or fix it, all claimable...........no big drama surely?

seriously, some punters who own rentals should do one of two things:

flick the property and put the cash in the bank or

get acquainted with basic landlord requirements of who is responsible for what.

Just wondering who pays for this?
Got a call from PM saying that the Oven blows and need replacing.

I was under the impression that when the landlord rent out the property, it's working, and if tenant break it later, tenant fix it.

I was a tenant once too..........

Do you actually know whats wrong with it.
Has an electrician looked at it or just your agent.
Might be something simple as a burnt out element.

You must attend to this immediately to ensure the oven is safe.

An electrician will be able to give you a quote to repair, at which time you may find it more economical to replace the oven.

You are responsible for repairs to any part of the property unless you can prove the tenant deliberately caused the damage. Things wear out - it's a fact of life and unfair to blame the tenant. This is why you are allowed to claim depreciation.
Marg

more economical to replace the oven?.....hmmmm, okay,

It depends on the age of the stove. If the oven is 20+yo and costs $300 to fix then it will probably be better economy to just get a new basic stove.

Mine, a newish oven, blew an element recently. It made good sense to have it repaired. Cost me $280.

Lets hope for your sake that the tenant doesn't issue you with a breach notice then try to hit you with bills for resturant or takeaway meals because they can't cook....

Then you refuse to pay and you end up at VCAT and or the Tenancy tribunal.

ahhh the joys of residential property ownership .. they did mention all this at the seminar right??

If it actually blew up then it might be quite expensive.

If, as I suspect, it is a blown element then you can fix it yourself for under $100 or get an electrician to do it for a bit more.

If you ignore it then the tenants are within their rights to get it fixed and forward the bill to you.

If this makes you feel unhappy or angry then I suggest that being a landlord may not be your cup of tea my friend.

Back