Over Coming Sea Sickness

Motion sickness has been a problem for me ever since I can remember . My Dad talks about me vomiting all over the dashboard on a family outing and later on I felt awful some days if I was stuck at the back of the school bus .

Last week I completed my open water scuba ticket but on the last dive I threw up about 8 metres underwater . It wasn't too bad and I'm sure the fish don't mind :)

I've tried taking quell and I've tried ginger which does help a bit . What else could I try ?

I have never been on a cruise for this reason . Not much fun if you are feeling nauseous all the time . I have read that if you are at sea for a while then your body will adjust eventually and the problem can be overcome . You would have to be pretty keen !

I joke sometimes that I get seasick in the bath !

Welcome any suggestions ...

When I first started working offshore, I used sea sickness patch. You still feel a bit uncomfortable but it works.

After two trips my body had adjusted itself.

There are tablets as well but patches worked better for me.

Please check with your doctor or pharmacist.

When I first started working offshore, I used sea sickness patch. You still feel a bit uncomfortable but it works.

After two trips my body had adjusted itself.

There are tablets as well but patches worked better for me.

Please check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Would patches likely still help while I am in the water ?

Just had a read about patches and I can forget those for diving . Are they even legal in Australia ?

I was working in a US vessel when I got the patch.

However following website mentions it as well. Apparently you have to consult your doctor as there are side effects which could harm some.

http://www.chemmart.com.au/wellbeing/a-healthy-you/holiday-and-travel/travel-sickness-what-to-do

Quoting

"Your pharmacist can provide advice about over-the-counter preparations that may help. These are usually most effective when administered prior to travelling. Some of these include:

Motion sickness medication designed to prevent travel sickness. Side effects may include drowsiness.
Antihistamines are commonly used to prevent motion sickness by reducing the stimulation in the ear.
There are some medicated skin patches worn behind the ear for at least four hours prior to travelling that can reduce symptoms.
Ginger tablets, which are good for those who don?t like the taste of ginger."

Heavily effected here too. In car almost every trip as a kid. Since being an adult, only if I'm sitting in the back and / or reading.

For ferrys , eg the ones that go to Rottnest wa or kangaroo island sa, best bet for me is sitting upright in lower deck. Standing or sitting on the top is instant reverse breakfast if it gets rocky.

There's tablets called Ginger Calm avail from pharmacy that help a bit.

Most of this is caused by inner ear problems causing imbalances. I've had about 7 grommets.

I get that part James S , however you should try throwing your guts up when you are several metres under the water . It's an interesting experience to say the least !

DT - I get bad motion sickness too. Sounds very similar to you.

No amount of telling myself to toughen up is going to make any difference either.

Lemon tictacs (seriously).
Most things with a high ginger ingredient - I like crystallized ginger or ginger biscuits.
Easy enough to get hold of seasick tablets.

The trick with all of this is to take it before you need it. Once you're feeling sick it's too late.

Stick with lighter foods, nothing too heavy. Stay cool (opposite of warm).

Back of the boat is usually the most stable.

Heavily effected here too. In car almost every trip as a kid. Since being an adult, only if I'm sitting in the back and / or reading.

For ferrys , eg the ones that go to Rottnest wa or kangaroo island sa, best bet for me is sitting upright in lower deck. Standing or sitting on the top is instant reverse breakfast if it gets rocky.

There's tablets called Ginger Calm avail from pharmacy that help a bit.

Most of this is caused by inner ear problems causing imbalances. I've had about 7 grommets.

I can't read either - I think it's something to do with only focussing on something close and not far away.

Strangely the grommet 'addict' in our house doesn't get sea sick - go figure - but her vestibular system has been very well trained with OT/Physio activities since 18mths

As an adult you do less vestibular 'work' so I would suggest getting out to the park and going on swings again.

Hi

As I understand it you vomited whilst scuba diving 8 metres underwater.

Were you on a boat immediately before the scuba dive or did you go straight from land into the water and then throw up?

Could the motion/seasickness be potentially caused by been on a boat first or caused solely by the diving?

Regards,

alicudi

I remember a trip on a private charter sailboat to Rottnest Island where I spent the trip there and back hanging of the side in agony with sea sickness.

Did not help that we boarded at 7am directly from a nightclub after a night on the tiles.

No boat involved we just went in off the wharf . Sea conditions were not ideal with a bit of surge etc . Goggles had fogged up a bit and trying to get bouyancy right , mo Jo together etc . I'm only a beginner ha ha .

I can't read on a car (great navigator!) without getting sick.

So I thought I'd be cactus on a boat - surprisingly ok.

Usually I find people are ok when the craft is going, but as soon as it stops, the problems start.....

I suggest going on a short test cruise - make sure you're not couped up inside. Try to be on deck where you can see the front and what's coming up - helps 1. to brace 2. takes your mind off being sick.

One of the most memorable cruises was coming back from one of the islands many years ago to Noumea in a storm. Huge waves (even in the lagoon) - with a couple of friends at the bow copping all the waves (and loving it), while everyone was a-chucking in the cabin out the back :D

The Y-man

I get that part James S , however you should try throwing your guts up when you are several metres under the water . It's an interesting experience to say the least !

How does that even work?

How does work with the water coming in and the vomit going out?

Do you throw up the same bits over and over?

Seems a pretty horrible experience to me

Back