Over Coming Sea Sickness

I used to be OK until I had an ear operation, now I get sea sick when the boat is not moving forward.

I find by taking a ginger tablet for a few days in the run up to a trip does seems to calm the vagus nerve which is "the main culprit" for sea sickness.

The vagus nerve loves ginger and most herbal travel pills are basically just ginger, I take Blackmores and they are not very dear.

No boat involved we just went in off the wharf . Sea conditions were not ideal with a bit of surge etc . Goggles had fogged up a bit and trying to get bouyancy right , mo Jo together etc . I'm only a beginner ha ha .

Hmm ok this doesn't sound right to me.
How long were you in the water for before being sick?
Is this the first time you have been sick underwater?
How did you feel prior to being sick?
Any headache or just nausea?
Compared to your other couple of dives how was your air consumption prior to being sick?

I have vomited underwater numerous times and it can be interesting. Keep your reg in and purge as you spew - reduces the risk of a chunk getting stuck in the system.
Once you are more comfortable you can remove your reg completely while you hurl, but I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner.

I used to dive with a guy who couldn't sit on a stationary boat. We used to drive up to the site and he would be fully kitted up. As soon as the anchor dropped he would roll over the side.

In a moving vessel try and sit at the back of the boat, central, and low (but outdoors). Focus on the horizon.
On a stationary boat is when you are most vulnerable. Not much you can do. Try and be central on the boat (of possible) and focus on the horizon - or try and stay busy.

As for medication - if ginger works "a bit" start loading up on it the day before. Ginger tea, the night before etc. and then on the day go crazy with the stuff.
Ginger is the only thing I have heard of which works for severe seasickness (if anything does).

Blacky

How does that even work?

How does work with the water coming in and the vomit going out?

Do you throw up the same bits over and over?

Seems a pretty horrible experience to me

Nah, you can 'purge' air through your reg which flushes the chunks out and gives you fresh air to suck back in.
Your reg can get 'stained' with the flavor of last nights dinner though. Which affects the rest of your dive (if you choose to carry on).
Once you get more experience with this, you can remove your reg and chuck into the water - so your reg doesn't have pukey taste. Its actually pretty cool watching last nights dinner float around you - and having all the fish come in close for a free feed.

Unfortunatly if you are underwater and need to chuck - you have not many options but to chuck. So you have to make to with what you have.

Blacky

(if you choose to carry on).

I should add in the ultimate diving safety tip I learned!

Any diver can abandon/abort any dive at any time without the need to give any reason!

If you don't feel comfortable for some reason, abort the dive. You don't need to give excuses.

Generally chunking mid dive is a good reason to abort.

Blacky

Thanks Blacky .

We did two short dives that day with a lunch in between .
As you would well know there is a lot to learn as a beginner . I was slightly cold and just a little nauseous after the first dive . No headache . I was not expecting to be sick . It came on me quickly and I think I hurled twice under the water then came up to complete the job and swallowed a little seawater in the process . I admit I was flustered . My air consumption was normal before but I was breathing heavily afterward .

Sounds like ginger will be my best bet .

I was in Fiji over New Years with the family and spent hours snorkelling near the resort and had a great time ! I havnt bought any gear yet but planning on doing so this week . Also joined the local club and will be diving with members for a start . Really looking forward to it .

I recently went on a cruise and have a weak stomach. I took a Maxalon tablet 4 hours before sailing and took one every 8 hours til the end of the cruise 10 days later.

Thanks Blacky .

We did two short dives that day with a lunch in between .
As you would well know there is a lot to learn as a beginner . I was slightly cold and just a little nauseous after the first dive . No headache . I was not expecting to be sick . It came on me quickly and I think I hurled twice under the water then came up to complete the job and swallowed a little seawater in the process . I admit I was flustered . My air consumption was normal before but I was breathing heavily afterward .

Sounds like ginger will be my best bet .

I was in Fiji over New Years with the family and spent hours snorkelling near the resort and had a great time ! I havnt bought any gear yet but planning on doing so this week . Also joined the local club and will be diving with members for a start . Really looking forward to it .

Interesting. It indeed maybe motion sickness if you are susceptible to it.
If you feel sick underwater try and get in the habit of chucking underwater while purging. No - its not nice, but generally people will try and 'rush' to the surface. Be patient - spew till your heart is content, and ascend when you are controlled and relaxed. Your buddy/instructor should be on hand to assist your buoyancy while you are concentrating on emptying your stomach :p

The fact you were feeling unwell at the end of the second dive should have been sufficient to abort. Generally getting back in the water wont make you feel any better. Good lesson for next time.

It could also have been impacted by your ascent speed. If you had no other symptoms (no headache etc just nausea) then this is unlikely. But note it for future dives. Ascend very very slowly - especially the last few meters. A lot of instructors train you to use your bc to ascend. This is a terrible plan. On the way up you will need to be dumping air from your BC and using your legs and those big attachments on your feet to ascend along with the most valuable buoyance control device you have.... your lungs. Exhale heavily on the way up to slow your ascent.
You may have experienced minor DCS in your ears. This will result in nausea - often accompanied by dizziness and often (but not always) ear pain. Hence why I mention it.
Slow your ascent speed right down especially in the last 5m.

Also monitor your breathing. Breath deep, slow and regular. Most beginners either 'skip breath' (inhale more than they exhale) causing CO2 build up. Usually results in a headache and nausea. Or they hyperventilate (short sharp breathing). Neither breathing mechanisms work out well - and can result in the symptoms you speak of, though usually have other symptoms as well.
If you get a headache underwater concentrate on exhaling more than you inhale.

Anyway - load up on ginger and see how you go.

Enjoy the underwater world - there is nothing else like it.

Blacky

Best cure for sea sickness: go and sit under a tree.

Otherwise

Seek fresh air, go to the centre of the boat and scan the horizon. Aft of the boat is where the engine is and may cause motion sickness. The bow may have a pitching motion.

A sailing boat with the engine off is strangely easier on the stomach than a motor boat.

Many people swear by travel wristbands with pressure points on the pulse.

On a cruise ship choose a balcony cabin on a low deck midships.

I get terrible motion sickness, on occasion I have even been queasy on escalators! I had a lot of ear trouble as a kid.
I have found the best thing for me are acupressure bracelets. They are basically Velcro straps with a bead on it for each wrist. You can buy them at the airport and you put them on 30 mins before travelling.
I still can't read while wearing them but at least I can get from A to B with my stomach intact.
These might be suitable to wear while diving too. I can't recommend them highly enough. Good luck.

Motion sickness has been a problem for me ever since I can remember

Pursefattener, I too suffer from motion sickness. I have tried absolutely everything--from ginger, telling myself to toughen up & that it's all in the mind, to Quell, to acupuncture bracelets. You name it, I've tried it.

The only thing that works for me is Travacalm. You can get it over the counter. There are two types-a natural alternative and the drug. The natural alternative Travacalm does nothing for me. The drug is the only thing that works.

Here is what has worked for me over the years: never eat or drink before flying. Don't fly too early in the morning.

Try to sit up the front of the plane. If you're in a car, sit at the front so that you can see what's happening. That's really important for me. In a boat or a plane, it helps to stay looking outside.

Get some fresh air. If you're in the car, open the window. If you're in a plane, put the air vent right on your face.

When you do start to feel really ill, lie down if you can. Obviously sometimes you can't (eg in a plane).

When I fly, I simply take one whole or one half of a tablet and it is enough. Travacalm will make you drowsy, so not a good idea to drive after the flight. In fact, the bumpier the flight, the more sleep yyou become. On a long haul flight, I take one at the beginning of the flight. After about 8 or 9 hours, I get used to the plane and I don't need to take any more.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

There is one upside to suffering from motion sickness. I have no problems looking after someone who is sick and vomiting--doesn't phase me at all. I have some friends who can't stand the sight or the smell because they themselves have never vomited and they have to leave the room.

Here's my thoughts. I spend a lot of time on the water. Ive never been sick. I'm the guy who can eat and drink while knee deep in other peoples vomit.

But I noticed that drivers never get car sick. So if I get seasick passengers I get them to take the helm. Seems to work but in all honesty I don't get many people seasick on a sailing boat.

I think it is a disconnect between what your eyes tell you and what your inner ear is feeling balance wise. Somehow being in control and anticipating movement seems to help.

It is just my theory. Try it and let me know.

Eggs on toast work for some people I have heard. It works for
Our family friend. She loves deep sea fishing with her husband and reckons it works. Or call 1300 seasick I think it is. They will give you remedies

Eggs on toast work for some people I have heard. It works for

If I am taking someone on the boat who is assured to be seasick - I recommend KFC for breakfast. The more the better.
As they bring that up, chuck your line in - the combination of deepfry oil, plus chicken chunks, plus what ever else they ate makes for some amazing burley.

:D

So that's the reason blacky. We used to take a bucket of KFC chicken when we used to go deep sea fishing and sure enough I was the best candidate for providing burley :):D

Well , today I had two great dives . First dive was only a shallow dive in 5metres of water along the side of a pier . All good . Second dive we went offshore on a boat and did a dive on an old shipwreak in 14 metres of water called the La Bella .

I was queasy before I went inthe water and once down on the wreck I had to vomit through my regulator again . Then I felt ok and continued diving . After 40 minutes we ascended , carefully and then I was sick again . I got my fins off and got in the boat and a few minutes later I was heaving again .

Apart from all that I had a great time and saw some big lobster living in the wreck too .

Before I went I had been drinking lemon and ginger tea and took my travel calm
tablets as prescribed , but really I don't think I got any benefit from them . This week I'm going along to my GP for a chat and see what can be done .

At least I don't have to worry a bout putting weight on ha ha .

Back