Overdose

WinstonWolfe;705439]Bond prices go up cos people flee assets reliant on leverage like stocks and property. Why? cos people lose jobs and credit markets tighten to manage risk. Bonds are basically risk free because govts can print as much money as they want and always pay it back. The only check on this is the bond market, which doesn't buy bonds from govts that print excessive dollars.

Don't confuse bond prices with bond yields. When bonds go up, yields come down. And they are the lowest they've been since the depths of GFC

Yes its interesting, but dont forget the hedge fund speculative eliment.
They are all over this trade at the moment, so what proportion is fundamentally driven and what proportion is the speculative eliment?

Nothing is clear cut in this environment. The trouble with zero interest rates is it costs effectively nothing to borrow. Hence it makes it 'easier' for me to speculate with borrowed money (at zero % interest rates) and run tight stops.

Thats why you are seeing so much chaos in the market.

The trouble with zero interest rates is it costs effectively nothing to borrow. Hence it makes it 'easier' for me to speculate with borrowed money (at zero % interest rates) and run tight stops.

Thats why you are seeing so much chaos in the market.

I'm not very familiar with the US lending market but I believe that the 0% interest rates are only for institutions which borrow money from the fed.

They borrow at close to 0% and lend at 6% or more
not a bad return for doing nothing :)

Private borrowers aren't that lucky and banks these days are reluctant to lend money for housing, they demand 30% deposit etc etc
http://www.businessspectator.com.au...uble-di-pd20100825-8MSUW?OpenDocument&src=kgb

Media watch

4 corners was just sledged on Media watch for broadcasting "Overdose", on the grounds it was a political polemic with clear bias and no coverage of alternative points of view. Thoroughly dissed.

4 corners was just sledged on Media watch for broadcasting "Overdose", on the grounds it was a political polemic with clear bias and no coverage of alternative points of view. Thoroughly dissed.

Yeah watching it now. Tis true it was very one sided.

Hi, did anyone else notice the word "if"?

"if GFC 2 happens"

if I had a billion dollars
if pigs could fly

All in the same category, don't you think?

Hi, did anyone else notice the word "if"?

"if GFC 2 happens"
if I had a billion dollars
if pigs could fly

KYL

I think a GFC 2 of the same magnitude as GFC 1 is unlikely
but a double dip and suffering when the stimulus money runs out is likely.

And looking at the US, UK & Europe the money's run out so there isn't much more they can do to stimulate their economies. Ofcourse they can keep on printing money but that's inflationary.

The only ones who can still afford to spend money right now are China and Australia could benefit from it. If not, our kids will have a hard time repaying the labor debt which is on the way....:eek:

The only ones who can still afford to spend money right now are China and Australia could benefit from it. If not, our kids will have a hard time repaying the labor debt which is on the way....:eek:

You Lib supporters will blame Labor for anything! Is it a pre-requisite to be a huge girl's blouse sook if you want to support Liberal? I've never come across a bigger bunch of crybabies in my life.

Some dude: 'Hey, did you hear about the earthquake in Zimbabwe? Crazy!'
Liberal supporter: 'Yeah, that damn bloody Labor, if they hadn't been elected, that earthquake would never have happened.'

Note - I am not a Labor supporter. I don't support any party. In fact, if it was up to me, I'd scoop up every single politician in existence, fly out over the Pacific and drop them in the water and leave them for the sharks. Then I'd feel sorry for sharks due to the inevitable indigestion they'd suffer afterwards.

I am not a Labor supporter

Really?
That's what many say, they're too embarrassed to say who they voted for. :D

I'm a liberal supporter but I think it could be a good thing that the previously independents (and now dependents) went with Gillard.

Collectively they'll spend big time so we'll have jobs for a few more years till the world recovers.

Some dude: 'Hey, did you hear about the earthquake in Zimbabwe? Crazy!'
Liberal supporter: 'Yeah, that damn bloody Labor, if they hadn't been elected, that earthquake would never have happened.'

Everyone knows this and Liberals are responsible for the landslides. (Next time we have elections it will be a Liberal landslide...:D )

Last edited:
In fact, if it was up to me, I'd scoop up every single politician in existence, fly out over the Pacific and drop them in the water and leave them for the sharks. Then I'd feel sorry for sharks due to the inevitable indigestion they'd suffer afterwards.

Our luck would be that they land on one of those people smuggler boats and be back to our shores within days courtesy of our navy.:eek::D:D:D

Back