Paint and your new property

Greetings one and all

On the weekend I was at a bbq and the subject of property came up. The bloke I was talking to was a painter with many many years experience (so many that he paints because he likes to not because he has to.. semi retired) anyhow he gave me an anecdote that I'd like to share which may save you a bit of dosh.

He told me that painters get the short end of the stick because by the time they get to the property most of the money has been spent. To meet the demands of the owner / developer for cheaper rates the quality of the paint decreases. His suggestion was to wipe the wall with a rag soaked in warm soapy water. If there is any paint on the rag then a poor quality paint has been used and you'll be up for painting costs sooner rather than later.

I have filed this away for future reference.

Hope it helps you :)

Which brands are considered good quality paint?

I'm doing some repainting in our PPOR and washed down the Taubman painted walls (4 years old) with sugar soap and the water ended up the same colour as the walls. Is this what the painter meant?

Sharyn

Yep sure is.

I will see if I can find out which paint he recomends. I recall him saying that most people use paint that costs $16 square meter whereas he uses one that costs $26. But I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)

The qoute "pay cheap, pay twice" comes to mind.

Cheers Punchy.
I always ask tradesmen what they recommend - esp repairers as they would see lots of different types.
Sharyn

I have been painting for 25 yrs and don`t know what you guys are talking about, taubmans is definately one of the top brands...it`s all I use, then again all brands have cheap and expensive ranges, also all paints have improved over recent years.
As far as washing a wall???, I suppose it depends how hard you wash it and what you wash it with, any water based paint will wash off if you scrub it long enough.

shazza said:
Which brands are considered good quality paint?

I'm doing some repainting in our PPOR and washed down the Taubman painted walls (4 years old) with sugar soap and the water ended up the same colour as the walls. Is this what the painter meant?

Sharyn

I think it must depend on the line within the brand. My neighbour is a painter and he's a good bloke. He recommended Taubman to us before.

We've used cheap paints and I know it's not worth it. They're just not as opaque as the good quality paints. We had to use three coats to cover a wall instead of the standard two.

Good tip tho.

Jireh

markpatric said:
I have been painting for 25 yrs and don`t know what you guys are talking about, taubmans is definately one of the top brands...it`s all I use, then again all brands have cheap and expensive ranges, also all paints have improved over recent years.
As far as washing a wall???, I suppose it depends how hard you wash it and what you wash it with, any water based paint will wash off if you scrub it long enough.

I'm only assuming its Taubmans because we have little tins of touch up paint which has a Taubman's label. So I dont know what price range its in.
I just washed the wall down with warm water and sugar soap solution and I dont like cleaning that much to be scrubbing it too hard!
Sharyn

markpatric said:

Well markpatric. I guess you equate time in as being equal to being knowledgeable?

I qoute Shazza "I'm doing some repainting in our PPOR and washed down the Taubman painted walls (4 years old) with sugar soap and the water ended up the same colour as the walls. Is this what the painter meant?"

I am not a painter. I was only passing on info for others in the hope that it would benefit someone.

Taubmans - ALL of their lines are of the same high quality? or are some cheaper than others? if they are all of the same high quality then I assume that there is no reason for any to be of a different price?

Paints increased in quality over the years? I guess you would know more than me as I am in a different field to you. Is it anything like cars? I know which I would prefer between a fully restored 1960's holden or a 2005 model.

I am not seeing a lot of advice from you in selecting paints. Come to the party.

Ummm Punchy ...

Was that reply to markpatric perhaps a little bit punchy, particularly as markpatric said that Taubman's was the only paint brand he used?...

Regarding the washing water ending up the same colour as the walls:

I washed an entire house down recently which had been spray painted with Bristol paints seven years ago, and yes the water in the bucket became milky but the walls came up like new.

I recently washed just two walls down in another house which I had painted with two coats of house brand paint twelve months ago, and the water was definitely green and looking across the surface of the wall it was easy to see that I had thinned the paint by washing. I used sugar soap, warm water and a sponge. I made a note not to use house brand paint again, and when I repaint this house I shall do so with Wattyl which is what I had used for everywhere else except the green walls.

I also found the house brand paint grew mould in the plastic tubs (hermetic sealed lids) which I keep a bit of paint in for touch ups . The six month old paint remaining in the 10 litre cans really smelt like old socks, quite unpleasant to work with.

Sharyn, I would hazzard a guess that the type of paint may be more important than the brand of paint.

I prefer a 100% matt finish on walls, it is more forgiving of irregularaties, but the matt doesn't have the finishing qualities as even a low-sheen will have. Something to do with the bonding properties of the paint. Low-sheen comes up almost matt, certainly it doesn't shine or gleam, and probably has far better wearing and washing resistance.

Acrylic paint is funny stuff, some doesn't cover very well at all, but other brands will give good coverage with one decent coat. However as I mentioned, I am coming to the conclusion that low-sheen does a much better job all round than 100% matt.

cheers

Kristine

Washing walls??

My old man's a painter, and his old man. I did my time with dad when I was a young lad and petty much learnt all I needed to know.... But, I still can't mix colours like Dad does. There's a knack to that.... buggered if I know........

Anyway, why are so many people washing walls, and with Sugar soap. It is only usually necessary if you have removed wall paper, or there is mould present. Most of the time all that is needed is a light sand and patch up. That is of course unless the current paint is blistering or peeling off, and then it will need more than a wash anyway.
As for paint quality, you get what you pay for. Good quality paint is nicer to use, covers better and gives a better finish. But I think that is obvious.

Punchy I would say after painting literally thousands of houses would give you some knowledge......buy only well known brands and top lines.
Taubmans ....generally is the best brand, among others such as berger,dulux, I stay away from bristol and solver but they arent too bad and yes paints have improved unlike cars they are less toxic, resist marks better, easier washability, cover better and last longer.
Another hint if you have problems with mouldy ceilings/walls add mould killer to the paint, it works real good, just ask them in the shop, doesn`t cost much.
Kristine matt is good but it doesn`t wash and resist marks as well.
Also semi gloss enamel is good for doors and frames if you don`t like the glossy look, but again same applies.

Punchy said:
Well markpatric. I guess you equate time in as being equal to being knowledgeable?

Theres something seriously wrong if it doesnt.

I know two painters and they both use and recommend Taubmans. They both say Sugarsoap is usually too harsh for paint unless its stained badly (cigarette smoke, mould...etc..) or for dirty house exteriors.

Hi everyone,

Marcpatric,
I, too am a painting contractor and your advice is right. You need to stick with the top brands. Brand though does not mean that they don't all make a budget line and even though the budget lines are not as washable they are okay to use. You can look at two sides of the coin eg: You have a set colour for your IP and each time the tenants move out you could quickly go in and roll a coat of paint over the dirty walls. The second idea is to use a better quality and to have the tenants wash the walls before they leave.

The cheaper quality paints in Taubmans are Ultra coat low sheen or the tradex range. The more expensive ones are Living proof silk and the ultimate is Duraclean. Exterior(Sun Proof Max) In Dulux they have the cheaper contractor series or the professional range and the best quality is dulux 101. Exterior(Weathershield )Always ask for the premium range in most brands and you can't go wrong. The trouble is with most people that when they go to buy a tin of paint and the person behind the counter says that will be $200 they get a shock and automatically try to find a cheaper product.

Put simply buy the best and do the right preparation and you will get the best results.I hope this helps.

Househunter

I just thought using sugar soap was standard preparation for painting. I'm just trying to ensure that I get a good end result but if I can get away without using it- cool.

Great discussion on brands too. As an amateur painter its hard to know with so much variety out there.

cheers Sharyn
BTW I used low-sheen Dulux 101 am very happy with the results.

Apology

Sorry for well being punchy. Please accept my sincerest apology. Geeze not even a month and I am breaking new years resolutions to not let my mouth show me to be such a muppet. at least I am getting better.

My experience with paint is that it seems to be an art. That was what I was trying to say but it didn't come out right at all.

So once again Sorry.

Sincerely Punchy

Yes good advise Househunter.
At the end of the day if your tenants will knock it around or you are selling probably cheap brands are the way to go, paint is getting very expensive these days, even when only paying trade price.

Dulux recently launched it 101 Advanced range. It's probably the best interior paint on the market at the moment.

Taubmans improved its LivingProff products. The teflon in the paint cures towards the surface, rather than throughout the paint, so its surface is more durable.

Wattyl has also indroduced the ID range. It's a bit of an underdog, but also a great product.

Low Sheen is the most commonly used wall finish. It's more washable than flat, maintains excellent 'inperfection hidding' qualitites and looks nice too.

Any of the above paints will last years and years. I spent almost 10 years selling paint at Bunnings and wouldn't use anything else.

BTW. Buy the right paint for your area. Dulux paint sold in Victoria is not the same as Dulux paint sold in Queensland. The different environmental conditions mean that the paint is made for that location.

:D
Isn't this funny!I was just talking to someone about paint the other day!

I was recommended taubmans and I found it an absolute breezed to paint with! We stuck with the silk acrylic range but changed to the easycoat in the kitchen. Both were extremely easy to use and came up an absolute treat. I would fully recommend it anyday.

Mainly because it was so easy to paint with.

My 2c.
Steph.

P.s. I have HEAPS still to paint. 5 rooms down, 4 to go!

Funny! I disliked Taubmans over 30yrs ago and have never used it since.

Looks like I must dump that prejudice. :eek: Must be some others there too!

T

Back