Painting corrugated iron sheds

Hi there,

I'm currently preparing a greenhouse and carport for painting and I'm also considering painting the iron shed it's all attached to for a really neat looking job if possible.

The metal is all in good condition with no signs of rust, although the previous tenants have used it to test spray cans if you know what I mean and it looks untidy.

So what I'm asking is: Is it possible to do a nice job and make it look professional? Do I just prep the metal, buy a spray on primer thats suitable for smooth iron and then some kind of spray enamel in flat finish?

Thank you.

Yep, spray on a metal primer and a top coat of enamel. (Maybe you can find one that is self-priming?? and skip the primer only step).

Killrust enamel is self-priming, but in a spraycan it's around $15 per can. You can buy it in bigger tubs though and can use a spray gun to spray it. I just stripped & painted (by brush) our fancy screen door with it and it's come up a million bucks.

Alternately, you can wash and paint with Weathershield or Dulux Roof'n'trim. This is the more economical option!

Alternately, you can wash and paint with Weathershield or Dulux Roof'n'trim. This is the more economical option!

I painted an old galv shed around 20 years ago. Because it was old and weathered, the galv had none of the factory oil on it, so I just washed it with water, detergent and a stiff brush.

I then painted it using something like Wattle Solaguard. No primer. 10 years or more later, it still looked as good as it did when I painted it.

Do I just prep the metal, buy a spray on primer thats suitable for smooth iron and then some kind of spray enamel in flat finish?

Thank you.
You can buy a tar based undercoat that you thin down and just paint over the rust,then apply the finish ,just depends if the runoff goes into a water tank..

Thanks guys. I must say, I'd much prefer painting with it in a spray can but it's so much more expensive. I primed some of the steel this afternoon and it looked fantastic, waited for it to dry and then attempted the black, kill-rust gloss top coat. It looks horrible. There are these funny little particles forming in the paint, maybe from my brush or something but they stick out really bad with this paint. The brush is a second handie I've had in the shed for a year or so, it's possible the bristles are breaking off at the tips or something. I'm not really happy with it at all and can't even imagine a nice job on corri iron right now. I'm not very hopeful on this being a nice job whatsoever..

Jeremy, when I said spray, I meant with a spray gun, not a spray can. If you don't want to hire a spray gun then there are rollers designed specifically for corrugated.

I don't think I'd have used full gloss either. Low sheen or semi perhaps.

Thanks Al, but I'm not sure I've explained myself correctly.

I'm painting galv at the moment, it's beautiful and smooth with the metal primer I'm spraying on with an aerosol type can, but when I brush the top coat on it turns into a horrible looking mess, please see pics attached, first is taken a few cms below the top coat in second pic and looked just as the first example did before painting.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 464
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 458
Get a new brush and try the Killrust without primer- you don't need it. Brush on two coats and see how you get on. I also found that the solvents in the Killrust dissolved the particles of acrylic paint that I hadn't managed to get off of my screen door with a wire brush and I ended up with a similar bodgy effect, so be sure that your galv is very clean before you start.

I also don't think that black gloss is the right colour for your shed! Just paint it with Weathershield...

The secret to painting a gal shed or roof is to High pressure clean it first with water,
Buy a good 100% acrylic paint like dulux weathershield gloss acrylic or Solver Duraguard Gloss acrylic and using an airless spraygun,apply one thin coat,follow it off with a finish coat a couple of minutes later.
This will last forever and will look just like new.

That second photo, apart from the glaring brush strokes, looks to have bubbles from some type of liquid or moisture?

Thanks Al, but I'm not sure I've explained myself correctly.

I'm painting galv at the moment, it's beautiful and smooth with the metal primer I'm spraying on with an aerosol type can, but when I brush the top coat on it turns into a horrible looking mess, please see pics attached, first is taken a few cms below the top coat in second pic and looked just as the first example did before painting.
Looks like foreign matter from the brush or paint,your never going to get a professional finish you want with a brush :eek:

Thanks guys!

Just for the record, I haven't started the actual shed, this job is quite large and will take me a good few days (at least) to complete. I'm painting a shadehouse that turns into a carport that all attaches to a shed. So painting galvanised beams, large steel beams and loads of rebar.

I changed brushes and it now goes on pretty damn nice! (must have been residue or broken bristles from the old brush) We're happy with the glossy finish, my Wife says it makes it look 'more new' than any other finish. And I agree. I've taken back the other cans of primer as I also found the paint goes on easier without it, not to mention I'll save shedloads of time & cash by not using it, and if you really don't need it, it'd be pretty stupid to use it anyway.

Ok all done and it looks pretty good! Now onto the shed itself.

I went to the Wattyl store and they sold me a 10l tub of Solaguard in low sheen finish (Which I chose) I hope that looks good for what I'm doing, think it will. He pointed me toward a sponge roller that is shaped for corrugated iron, hope it rolls on well. He also said that the paint has no need for a primer, but because the metal is bare, I should still prime it. Do I really have to? The paint says "No primer required" And I don't want to waste time doing it if theres no need.

Thanks everyone.

He also said that the paint has no need for a primer, but because the metal is bare, I should still prime it. Do I really have to? The paint says "No primer required" And I don't want to waste time doing it if theres no need.

I didn't prime mine. The galv was old and weathered, so no factory oil residue on it. Solaguard shouldn't need it.

Back