Painting Quotes

Hi All,
Would be interested in replies for what would you expect to pay to repaint inside of property with only minor patch work as I have received a quote to paint my IP in orange at $5900,it is a 4 bed ex housing commission home so fairly standard . I used to do things like this myself until work injury so is it just me or do others think this is off the mark.

Regards,
Macca

Macca,

How many coats of paint have they quoted for and what products are they using?

As an example a very large 4x2 here in Perth with 1 coat of oil sealer and 2 coats of Dulux Wash and Wear 101 we charge 6k + GST which includes 6 hours prep time built in for patching and filling.

4x2 IP's which are empty that require just walls and ceilings can range from 5k + GST depending again on size.

You can of course get cheaper paints and skimp on coats but it depends on what you want the quality of the finish to be? With IP's we often find people want to reduce cost and want cheaper paint etc.

If they haven't broken down your quote into enough detail e.g. Prep, oil seal, main coat etc and have not specified the products to be used and area size etc then query it with them.

Doors and frames are normally 150+ GST each.

If you want me to review the quote for you to make sure they are not trying to pull a fast one drop me a PM and i will send you my email address.

Regards

ScottyB

sorry to hijack

if I were looking to paint a sub $150k pretty cheap and nasty property, one which the tenants might trash

ive been told to cut back on wastage/time, a good way is to pain the ceiling and walls the same matt white, and high gloss the skirts, this way, no need to cut in the walls to the ceilings, and you could lieterally paint the ceiling and walls in a day

will this look silly?

TMNT - Nope, we just did that to a rental that was trashed. House is in the bottom quarter of the market and tenants are usually welfare dependant, that is how we paint all of them now. we also use the same wood-like vinyl so that you can cut out a "plank" for repairs.

TMNT - Nope, we just did that to a rental that was trashed. House is in the bottom quarter of the market and tenants are usually welfare dependant, that is how we paint all of them now. we also use the same wood-like vinyl so that you can cut out a "plank" for repairs.

cheers, I didnt think so since so many wall whites are a matt and similar to ceiling paint, however, I did ask a professional painter that and he looked at me like I asked for his first born son

It is very successful to do that in smaller houses where there aren't large ceilings that show off sheen levels on the ceilings..

I have just done a large house in Dulux wash and wear low sheen / white ,I did all the wet areas in the same wall paint,(Bath,toilet,laundry,ensuite)but the other areas I did the ceilings in normal flat due to a higher sheen showing defects.

You can buy a wash and wear in a washable matt (Flat)that is reasonably successful,

Hi, I'd expect about $4500 - $5000 for the interior only (without seeing any pics it is a real guess of course!). However, one of my clients just had her whole house interior painted (kitchen, living x2, dining, hallways, office + 3 bedrooms) for $2500 which is extremely cheap!

If you need to cut costs, I'd source another painter for a quote rather than asking this person to reduce their price (you might end up with a sub-standard paint job if they feel resentful about the project).

Hope that helps!

i am in NSW and paid 3500 for
4 bed - 2 bath 1 garage single story house
Dulux paint
oil based paint on the doors and window frame
3 colours white,beige and whisper white
outdoor eves and garage door

the house had a medium prep needs

This was approx 1.5 years ago. The most expensive quote I got was 14K

Hi Macca,

I got a quote for $7900 for a 4 bed 1 bath in Orange. I found it very expensive. Furthermore, he said it would take him approx 150hrs. I currently have tenants that wont agree to be living with paint smell for a week hoping he uses another 2 helper (plus him).
Do let me know if you get a better quote. I am also looking for an handyman to do cosmetic reno of my property before I sell it.

steve

Back