Panania - Former Bankstown Tip

Hi guys, we're looking at a property in Panania which is somewhat close to what is apparently the 'Former Bankstown Tip' according to Google.

I've been trying to get more information on this, but haven't been able to find anything. Does any know anything about this former landfill and how long it has been since it was last used?

Cheers thanks

i have been living in the area since 1997 and know nothing about a tip in Bankstown.

im just going to have a look online now

Hi, I found out it's actually called Kelso Waste and Recycling Centre (or Kelso Tip), located on the western end of Bransgrove Road in Panania; wedged in between Kelso Park and Killara Reserve. It's been in operation since 1953 and will be closed in 2017. Currently receiving 20,000 to 80,000 tonnes of solid waste (general household waste) and inert waste (i.e. construction material) per year. A total of 1.5 million tonnes has been landfilled here thus far.

Went out for a look this morning and about one truck per 5 minute go in there. Distinctive landfill pit smell around Bransgrove Rd and Lawson St adjacent to Killara Reserve. Will be avoiding any properties in this part of Panania from now on...

Last edited:
Hi, I found out it's actually called Kelso Waste and Recycling Centre (or Kelso Tip), located on the western end of Bransgrove Road in Panania; wedged in between Kelso Park and Killara Reserve. It's been in operation since 1953 and will be closed in 2017. Currently receiving 20,000 to 80,000 tonnes of solid waste (general household waste) and inert waste (i.e. construction material) per day. A total of 1.5 million tonnes has been landfilled here thus far.

Went out for a look this morning and about one truck per 5 minute go in there. Distinctive landfill pit smell around Bransgrove Rd and Lawson St adjacent to Killara Reserve. Will be avoiding any properties in this part of Panania from now on...

Well, thats a bit of a panania in the ar$e...

Yes... And we were quite close to purchasing as well. Oh well, the hunt goes on!

May I ask why that is putting you off? If the property there is cheaper and the tip is scheduled to close in 2017 it might be a good buy in the medium to long term.

May I ask why that is putting you off? If the property there is cheaper and the tip is scheduled to close in 2017 it might be a good buy in the medium to long term.

Well, it does actually smell in the area that I was looking in. Not constant but as soon as the wind blows in the right direction you definitely get a whiff of that sour pungent landfill scent. And today was pretty cool as well, imagine what it would be like in the height of summer with 40 degree days and dry, warm breezes...

It might be a good investment in 10-20 years time. However it's going to take time for council to redevelop the contaminated land once the tip closes in 2017. I think I'm better off putting my money somewhere else, especially since it's going to be my first home.

when I was a boy....

I grew up in that part of the world.

My memory may be wrong, but I reckon they developed a whole set of townhouses down near the end of Horsley Rd on land that used to be the tip. This would be going back more than 20 years I think.

<edited to correct street>

I grew up in that part of the world.

My memory may be wrong, but I reckon they developed a whole set of townhouses down near the end of Horsley Rd on land that used to be the tip. This would be going back more than 20 years I think.

<edited to correct street>

Yes that's correct, it's a complex called 'Panania Greens'. Selling for about 490k these days for a 3 bedroom townhouse.

Back