passionate accountant needed

OMG. Really?
I'm just a teeny, tiny, sole trading, sub contractor. Have been so for the last 6/7 years. Have just received a $17 000 tax bill. Where have I gone wrong. :(
Any 'passionate' accountants in Perth up for it?
Anyone please. Not necessarily in the West :)
please help!!

17k tax bill might not be bad. If you earned 300k it would be a great result.

Sounds like you havent been in the PAYG system or if so underestimated earnings for the year.

What caused the tax bill ?

The amount of tax isn't the issue. Overpaying tax and underpaying tax are equally bad.

Paying no more tax than necessary is the key element. That's what I do to add value. I regularly encounter SS users and review their prior year tax return. Its not uncommon to find errors - usually overpaid tax. Sometimes underpaid tax...In every instance they thought they were doing a great job.

Still battling it out with the tax dept. Not winning :(

Looking for a new accountant so this can't happen again this year. Tips for setting up family trust anyone?

To be honest not enough information. If payg type contractor a family trust wont help as the personal services income rules will apply.

So not sure another accountant will be able to help at all in that respect. Sounds like poor tax forecasting and planning for the tax liability. I dont think an accountant is responsible for that to be honest.

With the limited details provided not even sure what you are looking for or expecting.

To be honest coastymike, neither do I.
But have to do something!
I had been recommended to set up a trust a few years ago, however income was extremely low then (not that's it's that 'high' now) at the time. Now Im not so sure. I will have to investigate further....

To be honest coastymike, neither do I.
But have to do something!
I had been recommended to set up a trust a few years ago, however income was extremely low then (not that's it's that 'high' now) at the time. Now Im not so sure. I will have to investigate further....

So do you know how much tax you're "supposed" to be paying, so to speak?

If not, then how do you know its not a decent result?

It might be that you don't necessarily need a passionate accountant, but one will better communication skills.

It might be that you don't necessarily need a passionate accountant, but one will better communication skills.

SPOT ON...

Years ago I walked into my first CPA exam at Rosehill racecourse (how apt) and was stunned to see 300+ tables and chairs neatly organised into rows. Then when things started off I was further stunned to see that 80-90% appeared to be carrying foreign language dictionaries to assist with translation. Many asian, many foreign.

Unfortunately the very insular nature of accounting tends to appeal to introverts. However the best advisers are NOT introverts. They question, challenge and explore the accepted "rules". They argue, debate and enquire. I realised something that day - good English language communicators will be well demanded if the majority of those graduating lack these skills or posses low skills.

This explains why you see some accountants jobs in Seek with a income range of $80K and others are $150K +.... If you want someone technically strong you better be sure they have awesome language skills otherwise they may not understand the key issues and certainly wont be able to convert that into anything meaningful when giving written or verbal advice.

Seeking a passionate accountant ??? Good kissers only need apply ??

Yes One who will speak English will do me nicely.

Appointment please....Paul, ready for a headache?

One more. No prob. All client problems become mine. If I can assist I'm doing my job. If I cant I tell you in advance or refer you to one who can. One benefit of the free consult is to identify what your needs are.

Private mail below is preferred initial contact.

Back