Passive Income Methods.

I self published a set of 10 books with a colleague. We sold half our first print run very easily and covered costs of $20k. We then (very reluctantly on my part) signed it over to a publisher and produced the second set of 10. So far I have recieved about $250. It is pathetic.

Louise

I self published a set of 10 books with a colleague. We sold half our first print run very easily and covered costs of $20k. We then (very reluctantly on my part) signed it over to a publisher and produced the second set of 10. So far I have recieved about $250. It is pathetic.

Louise

Where did u print the books? Did you print them in China or Malaysia where cost of printing is much cheaper there?

I've written a very small book and am currently setting up a website to sell it via the net as e-book. :)

regards Jo

Where did u print the books? Did you print them in China or Malaysia where cost of printing is much cheaper there?

We got Hero Print in W.A. to do it. My husband is a graphic designer so we were able to use a trade printer. There were 10 seperate titles, so a small print run of each. With this quantity, it wasn't worth having them printed overseas initially, though we planned to go that way. The website for our books is www.littleflowerbooks.com , if it is still up as it has been a while since I have looked. I am very disapointed with the whole thing since the publisher has taken over. Not happy at all.

Louise

just out of interest ..Bankwest may well be going up for sale...

I hope not, I have closed all my CC/Bank accts with other banks and pretty much haver everything with BankWest.. I have their 8.25% telenet banking acct - first time I heard of the 9% - already printed the application form heh.

Unless your James Patterson, Dan Brown, John Grisham, etc etc - the major players, you don't get much for books.

I wander if Shakespeare has any bloodline in this day and imagine the royalties!

We got Hero Print in W.A. to do it. My husband is a graphic designer so we were able to use a trade printer. There were 10 seperate titles, so a small print run of each. With this quantity, it wasn't worth having them printed overseas initially, though we planned to go that way.
How did you promote them?

I have some kids books (counting, ABCs etc) on my website with printed versions available through Lulu, but Lulu's colour prices are so obscene they are $US16.95 for a tiny little book, we're talking a Mr Men size book here. Unsurprisingly, they don't exactly walk out the door at that price, but I left them there anyway. I was thinking of getting a run of 500 or so printed of just one of them so I can at least sell it on eBay and in some of the local shops for $5 each or something and just see how that goes, but I admit I haven't looked very far into it, I just got reminded lately when I had some business cards printed.

My father has had some books published through a big publishing house, he's had no end of trouble and only gets a small cheque each year. He's had some luck selling through Lulu but he has black and white books on there not colour, so the prices work out quite reasonable. As far as I know they are only promoted by him through word-of-mouth and on my website.

We printed a brochure and did a mail out to all catholic primary schools in Australia. We had a really great response from this. We also did teacher inservice workshops in our local area and the word spread.

BTW, the Little Flower Books are emergent readers (for age 4 - 6) designed to integrate age appropriate religious education with early reading. We both taught in the Catholic school system and identified a need for this.

It cost us just under $20 to produce a set of 10 books (printing cost, of couse we didn't pay ourselves:D) and they retail for $50. It was not too hard to cover the cost of the first print run. The publisher did the second set. I have no idea how it is going as I hear nothing. I will eventually recieve $1.50 for every set sold, but I am not holding my breath. I never did this for the money. I especially resent the loss of control/direction and lack of communication since giving over to a publisher. If it were my choice, I'd have continued to self publish and promote. They are currently only available (so far as I know) through www.connorcourt.com.au.

Louise

Sounds pretty cool! Its amazing what you know in retrospect, people put so much stock in selling to a publisher without realising how hard it is and how bad the deal is for the author, but self-publishing fails completely without promotion, which you seem to have done quite well. The mother-in-law is writing a book that her clairvoyant has said will make her millions. We are sceptical, especially because we are IN this book and we haven't read the draft.

I've started a new mini book series lately but keep getting sidetracked by the baby (she tends to steal my pen and paper when I'm drawing) so I haven't even finished the first one. Far less politically correct though, and again I have the full book online free (and no print version because I have at least half a dozen pages I need to slip in). Newborns, babies and toddlers will round out the set. And I need to do a better cover for it but ... not finished ... hrm.

http://giraffian.com/pregnancy/pessimists-guide-pregnancy :cool:

Any update?

You're making $1,000 passively each week - I'm sure there are many who would love to hear your story.

Jamie.

He's passively disappeared!

I looked into Affiliates. Can't see how anyone can make money out of it.
Selling on the net is a hard slog. I've sold 3 books....2 were to friends.:eek:

Good News though: My Mortgage Broker has offered me a job!

Watch out Rolf.:cool: he he he Soon I'll be raking in the money, just like you!:p

Regards Jo

Yes quite easy,
when residential gross property ylds are approaching interest rates buy property and fix the interest cost, when listed share gross ylds are above both RBA and 10 yr bond rates buy shares. Easy, at least in theory.:D

Build up the IP equity, then use it to buy a business big enough to support full management and provide you a healthy after-tax income with minimal input.

Then buy another one, and another.

Of course, it's never really passive; you'll always need to be involved at some level, but the amount of hours is your choice, and when you do them can be too, for the most part.

Even blokes like Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Donald Trump - as rich as they are, they still work pretty hard, but the difference is plenty of cashflow and choice.

it's more being able to do (a) while (b) earns you money.

a) = find more investment opportunities
b) = existing investments.

of course it could be

a) = play with kids
b) = current and existing investments

or

a) = sail around the world
b) = the world

Back