Paying cash and Discounts

Most retailers will charge a surcharge when using credit cards.

If you are paying with cash do you ask for a discount, ie surcharge costs be deducted from our purchase.

I am curious if people do this??

I don't generally ask unless the purchase is a high end value, perhaps $2000+

MTR:)

It can't hurt to ask - even if using card.

My wife is ruthless with asking for discounts. When renovating she would always ask for some sort of discount and most of the time they'd knock some off.

Cheers

Jamie

Good for her, it does not hurt to ask.

With credit cards I think if retailers are wearing the surcharge then its probably reasonable to expect a discount if you are paying cash.

I don't do it enough and usually I'm after a good service not a discount.

Good idea to ask anyway!

For those in retail or service industries Good idea to offer it too. people feel nurtured and looked after when you offer a discount just for them.

Anybody seen the movie "the 100 foot journey"

A few pearls of wisdom from a wealthy elderly Indian restauranteur

"Only Europeans pay the first price" and

"I ask for a discount, not because I am poor, but because I am thrifty".

I also don't like asking straight up for a discount or asking if that is their best price. So I prefer to say I was only looking to spend x or I was hoping to get it under x (x usually being 10-20% below list price) and see their reaction. The list price is a starting point, at least doing it this way you are making a counter offer and they will either accept/reject your counter offer or meet you somewhere in between. Depends on the item if it is worth your time negotiating or not. An old friend of mine use to love the game of negotiating with the sales people, making counter offers back and forth, it was fun to watch.

I have a friend who asked me and my wife to come with him to come with him to help get a tv. Need the muscle to help carry it etc. Anyway little did I know he hadn't bought it yet. We went to Good guys, Jb Hi fi, Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, two random stores. Than we went to Maccas he used their wifi to compare prices on different stores. Than we went to one more place before returning to Good guys for him to finally haggle a price and then back out before going back to JB Hi Fi to get it $25 cheaper by paying cash...Worst *ucking day of my life and he took a day off work to save $110 he would have saved more money working and getting it on the weekend at the retail price.

I ask for discounts a lot, on normal things. Am happy to walk away too, which I did recently when trying to get down the cost of 2 x new suits! You'd be surprised how many places still take 5-10% or more off, especially end of month. I always pay credit card, unless extra surcharge is prohibitive - even after bargaining a better price. I don't come across a credit card surcharge (Mastercard) very often, find most retailers have it built into the price already.

I have a friend who asked me and my wife to come with him to come with him to help get a tv. Need the muscle to help carry it etc. Anyway little did I know he hadn't bought it yet. We went to Good guys, Jb Hi fi, Harvey Norman, Dick Smith, two random stores. Than we went to Maccas he used their wifi to compare prices on different stores. Than we went to one more place before returning to Good guys for him to finally haggle a price and then back out before going back to JB Hi Fi to get it $25 cheaper by paying cash...Worst *ucking day of my life and he took a day off work to save $110 he would have saved more money working and getting it on the weekend at the retail price.

I do similar but compare the prices online. I then take the ad of the cheapest one with me to a store and ask them to beat the price. Much more efficient :p

Most retailers will charge a surcharge when using credit cards.

If you are paying with cash do you ask for a discount, ie surcharge costs be deducted from our purchase.

It works ok if you don't book online,and find a better deal in travel companies for overseas travel,last time we saved over 200 bucks by paying in cash,and missed out on all the added on charges using any cards,cash works well in most businesses and most will drop 10% upfront sometimes more depending on the business model and how you talk..

Back