Who is the Chief Financial Officer

Hi All

Am curious who runs the household in your relationship/family with regards to financial decisions, managing the budget, paying the bills etc ??

I know some couples that have separate bank accounts, not a crime, but I do find this odd. I would think it makes sense to combine/pool funds. Perhaps this is becoming the norm these days, don't know??

I am Chief Financial Officer in my household, however when it comes to making any decisions pertaining to larger items we always discuss prior to buying.

I don't have much pressure in terms of how I manage my household budget, however was discussing this with my g/friend, she has been hiding the credit card statement for years from her partner as he scrutinises everything, I would absolutely hate this.

MTR:)

The Mrs is CEO and CFO. She occasionally delegates payment of bills etc to her staff (me).

She is also the COO.

Actually reminds me, I need to prepare some capex's for some gear I want....

The Y-man

I have a bit of direct sales experience.

I teach all my mentorees, regardless of what you see and feel, ignore the woman of the house at your peril.

That goes right across all cultures, even those where the man of the house sends the woman to the kitchen to organise snacks and drinks ......................

ta
rolf

The minister for war & finance handles most of these things, I get to check the bill and confirm that I spent it. I didn't know my pin until they changed the system and could no longer sign my credit cards.

When it comes to the major expenses, I hold a double headed coin for the outcome that I want.

I'm definitely the CFO - and managing director - and tea lady.

Hubby doesn't even question anything, as long as the bills are paid and he can buy what he wants when he wants ... but then neither of us are extravagant or wasteful.

Big expenses - such as the new stone benchtops we just had installed - are a joint decision ... but my opinion have more joint than his :D

Last edited:
As the sole bread winner I dictate what money gets spent on, what gets bought and when, who can have what. I even control things like who gets what meal, when they get it, and if they dont like it they can go to bed hungry.

I prepare the budget, attempt to reinforce the budget, and he blows the budget (despite apparently being under thumb). Unfortunately until he hit 38 and started his own business he'd never had to worry about money or budgets - hard habits to break

As the sole bread winner I dictate what money gets spent on, what gets bought and when, who can have what. I even control things like who gets what meal, when they get it, and if they dont like it they can go to bed hungry.

Boot camp DaveM style:), I like it......just watch your coffee, you never know what's in it;)

As the sole bread winner I dictate what money gets spent on, what gets bought and when, who can have what.

Me too.

Having been in a relationship where all the money was pooled, if I was to shack up with a broad again, it would definitely be separate bank accounts and each person is their own CFO.

Just from the sidelines how many people are in your family?.

Me too.

Having been in a relationship where all the money was pooled, if I was to shack up with a broad again, it would definitely be separate bank accounts and each person is their own CFO.

I haven't seen ONE thread where you have NOT posted something in lines of having bad experience(s) with a broad/lady/woman/chick/female/b!tch/wh0re/gold digger/blahblah

I am the CFO in the relationship. Missus started off doing it but was pretty quick to handball the responsibility, prefers not to have to worry about it.

I am CFO, however we jointly decide on large purchases/expenses. We used to run to an agreed budget to get us to our financial goals, but once we achieved them we only do so now out of morbid curiosity. Bank accounts are all joint and investments are in the partner's name having the most tax advantage for that investment class. This system has worked well for us for 25+ years.

Joint account, I pay bills, credit card statements, change mortgage from one lender to another and etc without my husband ever asking the question... I tried to talk to him, but gave up... he is absolutely not interested in finances and reasons why I have to change or do things

I prepared budget but then it was always going different ways, now "we" decided what's reasonable amount for him to spend on weekly basis and he respects that, works great! He gets his money on Monday, spends on every day things, plus he manages to save for computer stuff, concerts and etc so works out great, I wish I thought about it earlier!

He never questions what I spend money on, or why I bought something for kids or house... so I do enjoy that part of freedom! Bigger purchasing decisions like buying new furniture or dining table we do decide together (of course I am still the one who decides on budget ;)

I'm the CFO! Hubby doesn't even have an EFTPOS card. Although I can spend whatever I want, whenever I want it, I don't & we always discuss large purchases, so he's got a say in it as well.

I am CFO in the home and our business. Although hubby is a genius at what he does, managing money leaves him stressed out of his mind. He would be hard put to tell you what we own in investments. I talk to him about our budgets and stuff but it goes in one ear and out the other, then he calls me asking which card he can use to buy lunch, lol. But it works for us and we are each playing to our strengths and make a great team.

Back