paying for a harbour view... only to have it blocked by new buildings

Sad though it is, did they really expect that nothing would ever be built between their apartment and the harbour?

a lesson for all - nobody owns the view.

if the proposed development complies then - imo - there is nothing the residents can do.

the only way to ensure your views is to either buy on the top of the hill, or buy right next to what it is you are viewing (so no one can build in between).

as for the salesman - spin city

I would never pay for a view unless it was unable to be built out.

The featured apartment block probably destroyed other people's views when it was built.
Marg

ANGELINA MOSER spent close to a million dollars on a unit in the hope its views of the harbour with boats darting across it would provide some visual stimulation to help her brain-injured son, Niko.

A million seems a tad excessive just to provide some visual stimulation.. a Nintendo DS with a brain training game is only a couple hundred $.

There is generally no right to a view in NSW if the structure blocking it is compliant with the relevant planning controls. however, the Land and Environment Court found, in Tenacity v Warringah, that there is a right to a view if the view is iconic. This is the line that the objectors lawyer is quite rightly pursing. The view of the bridge and the Opera hous is held by the court to be iconic.

There is another way, in the City of Sydney, (this particular case is in north sydney) to ensure your view is not built out. Buy into something that has a heritage building immediately between you and the view. Check to see if "transferable heritage floor space" (THFS) has been paid on the said heritage building, If so, the height, bulk and floorspace of said heritage building is FROZEN in perpetuity as these rights to a large building have been bought by a developer and transfered to another site. The normal building height can no longer be achieved. There is a heritage floorspace register so you can check if these rights have been sold off as part of your due diligence.

I'm not sure if THFS is available in other cities but Sydney has it for sure and it is losly based on an idea out of New York City.
Listening to developer saying it is alright because they own the land is a nonsense. A covenant on title would be the very least you would require to believe them.
those poor people whotrusted them.*sigh*

you can't feel sorry for folk who don't do their DD - regardless if they have a child who is in full time care. tha's just the angle to get your emotions playing.

i smell a TT or ACA special.

the samething happened in Canberra. Capital Towers was built about 15 or so years ago and boasted some incredible 180 degree views of the lake - so people bought into it.

About 12 months ago, many of those owners were up in arms as a new apartment building was being planned which was going to take the views of the southern basin away. As a result, many of those people who had 180 degrees of the lake complained and went to the media and tried to have a real song'n'dance about how they were told by the agents that the views would never get built out. They threatened legal action blah blah blah.

Now, as i sit at my desk, I occasionally gaze out my window and watch the new apartment building going up and slowly rising to its estimated 18 stories and slowly blocking the views of the southern basin (as planned) and I laugh to myself about those silly fools who believed what the agent told them - that the views would never get built out.

If they didn't want the views built out, then they should've bought the block front of them.

Oh well.

g

Oh please! I guess it's all relative, but I wouldn't exactly call that a great view of the harbour, and not that close. Of course at some point there was going to be another building (or 5!) built between her and the harbour! :rolleyes:

Back