Payment of landlord insurance claim

hallo

I have a policy with AON. I have recently had to make a claim and the agent provided the details. I was assured by AON that the settlement cheque would be made out to me and posted to my home address. However it was sent to the agent. I was then assured by AON that the agent would not be able to cash it or put it in their trust account as it was in my name - I would have to endorse it (which I did not) for this. However they seem to have put it into their trust account. I am currently objecting to some of the fees charged by the agent and am furious. Has anyone come across this situation? This agent charges 12.5% fees. When the tenant finally left, I was at the house and it stank and was filthy (had to spend $650 on cleaning & carpets). I cannot believe that they could have missed this during the inspections they will be charging me for. Any advice?

Sorry to hear you run in of drama's

What i would suggest to you is to asking "Why?" questions to AON + PM

To AON

-Why has the agent been able to cash the check into their trust, when you assured me they can't?

To PM

-The check was in my name, why did you place it in your trust with out consulting me?
-Why am i getting charged these fee's (the one's you are disputing)

So yeah im presuming you have a point of contact within AON for your claim, i would be emailing them. I do most of my contact via email as my faith in verbal agreements is quite low

Wow 12.5%!!
I usually organise all the claims to go throught the PM as they can get a quick turn around on the property. Invoices are itemised so you can see where the money is going. What is in your agreement with your PM about them organising contractors? Maybe it is time to renegotiate or get a new PM!

hi Gertie, your tenant problems are oh so common. seems everyone has a story about a reckless tenant experience. At least your insurer paid out, a mate has had their IP trashed and the insurer swears black and blue that it was not maliscious, the tenants were just pigs. So a 1 year old house now needs full repaint (smoked it up so badly in a non smoking house) new benchtops, new carpet, gardens replaced etc etc. It has been untenanted for 2 motnsh whilst arguing it, yet the insurer won't cover that as their definition of a liveable home is one that has power and water connected

That's why sooo many land lord insurance policies are just crap.:mad:

Agent wants to sell them to you. Commission to them! $$$
Then when you make a claim the ins co says NO WAY :p read page 312 of PDS:eek:

And still agent gets a cut $$$.
While you go without rent for mths and have to pay expense to clean/paint/re-fit anyway.

Then because of their lousy service you have to pay a weeks rent + to find another tenant:D Plus comission & lease fees.

My question would be going to the bank that accepted the cheque. Third party cheques are not supposed to banked without endorsement.

Back