people featured in magazines

So, why didn't everyone above a certain age end up with multiple properties if it was so easy and prices just kept rising?

Lets not include everyone in australia. Talking about people who are used as cover story in magazines only.

My point is a lot of the amazing numbers happened during the big boom years which is probably a once in a lifetime boom ( never having growth like that again most likely) it kind of makes for eye popping numbers which gives wrong impression to some casual readers. ( i.e. Make it look easy)

Most of the people from Somersoft were normal run of the mill salaried employess

Most had been buying property and renovating for some time. In most cases it was the renovations and add-ons that had increased wealth and hard work!!!!

Some of them are in the Interviews on Somersoft.

Chris

Ego stroking. :)

Yes if we're honest about it I think you'll find the people who approach magazines for an interview do it to stroke their ego. But there's nothing wrong with that, everybody likes to feel good about themselves and show off their achievements.

Yes if we're honest about it I think you'll find the people who approach magazines for an interview do it to stroke their ego. But there's nothing wrong with that, everybody likes to feel good about themselves and show off their achievements.

Um, what makes you think the people approach the magazines? It's usually the other way around.

Exactly Geoff

I was approached following a thread I put on here

I am pretty sure that is what has happened to most of the others from here.

There is absolutely no ego stroking in the articles. What is told is the good and the bad, what worked and what didn't.

I thought it was a good way to help others. I certainly didn't want or need the publicity

Chris

I was referred by another forum member who was far more successful than myself. I fitted in with the profile they required than he did.

He in turn had been approached based on posts in this forum n

Um, what makes you think the people approach the magazines? It's usually the other way around.

Oops I meant to say the magazine approaches them for an interview and they agree to share their story with the public to stroke their ego. But some also approach magazines for an interview for the same ego stroking reasons. There's no other reason. Maybe they want to help the media companies sell more magazines because you think they're doing it tough and need a hand to boost circulation.

I was approached thru here too. The writer was after a story which didn't require me to give info on the majority of my portfolio so I was happy to meet with him. During the interview he asked if I had any other properties. I'm glad I said nothing other than the topic in question as I'm surprised how many people from different circles saw that article.

I did it after reading about Donald Trump's theories on branding and then when I found out how much he and other speakers, like Anthony Robbins, make from giving talks I decided it wouldn't be so bad if I developed that career path for myself.

Like eks said, I am of the belief that a lot of the 'professional property investors' that are featured weekly in magazines and on TV happened to have property during boom times and you might call that investing but personally I don't consider 'hope for external factors to make me rich' a viable investment strategy, and nor do the super wealthy. My theory is if they can get paid for being in the right place at the right time, with what I have set out to achieve, so too should I.

I think they're inspiring for newbie investors. It makes you realise that people of all walks can achieve big things in property and it's a great way to start reading up on things - even if the articles are all fairly repetitive. I still enjoy reading peoples stories in API.

just wondering what your thoughts are.

magazines like YIP or API always features "everyday investors" sharing their success stories.

question is, where do they find these people?

Hang around here long enough and you'll find out! I've had a couple of emails from them, I think they must randomly select people as my story is nothing special at all.

Yep I have received an email as well

Havnt really done anything so declined

I would almost consider going in it if it was about a specific project we undertook - renno, subdivision, development
But probably not for a portfolio review - for reasons like geoffw mentioned

But after what beach girl said I'm wondering if even the one property story would be a good idea.
Beach girl, if you had your time again would you still do the story?

actually would like to see an issue just about the downside of investing. kind of like I lost my portfolio and detail what happened (i. e. over leveraged or buying poorly.)

shouldn't always the sunny side in the cover. reckon it will actually sell more because it's not the usual I got 10mil portfolio on 5000income

A former forum member was featured on TV this week, unrelated to property investment. The story was not very flattering but it was something that person initiated, and really showed guts.

Back