Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

Most dual occs like that are illegal in sa. Without approval its a risky buy

Wow,what a dumb move advertising the fact what you are selling is illegal to do, and a even dumber buyer following the $$$$$ signs,one can only hope a smart conveyancer picks it up.

I was looking at Melbourne for IP but looks like it is getting too hot, so I am looking at Adelaide (mainly because I used to live there so I have some knowledge of the suburbs) as it looks like the prices have stablilsed and possibly hot money from eastern states will be coming in.

In terms of budget, we have quite a bit (say 600K for example) as we had decent equity gains from my PPOR in Sydney and my first IP already had some gains just after settlement. I need to spread my wings to avoid land tax.

I am looking at Adelaide on a number of angles. There are those CF neutral to CF+ properties at way north (Elizabeth etc) or way south (Morphett Vale/Hackham/Christies suburbs etc). However they are far far far away from the city. Even with the duplication of Southern expressway I am still not that convinced that it will drive significant growth given the chokepoint is still the South Road near Flinders all the way up to city.

Then there are beachside suburbs which are expensive but suburbs next to it is much cheaper, there are potential that that they will increase as people want to get to live closer to the beach. Of course there are those blue chip suburbs on the Eastern Adelaide.

I am looking at schooling in Adelaide and I was wondering for all current Adelaideans, whether you think there will be increasing demand for parents to send their kids to good public schools (Glenunga, Marryatville, Norwood-Morialta, Adelaide, Unley, Brighton etc) by living in catchment areas? When I was growing up there was no catchment exist and I went to a school which if I do the same now, it would not be possible. Schooling in NSW is now a big deal and people are quite keen to ensure their kids go to a good school by buying in catchment areas, I am trying to ascertain whether there is a big enough market in Adelaide for this. I cannot remember this was ever a talking point when I grew up. But if there is a trend on this, then I could see more CG growth on suburbs within catchment in good schools. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi Edison,

The schools thing hasn't really taken off in SA like it has in other cities. I think it's worth looking for areas of government improvement and spending. If this improves the amount of owner occupiers vs renters in an area, then it'll naturally increase in value.

I think the schooling is going to be a factor that will continue to increase in SA. Whilst I don't think it's a huge factor now, I do have clients who are buying specifically in catchment areas in the schools mentioned.

A few of my Chinese friends have already bought in Magill, Tranmere etc - zoned to Magill Primary School and Norwood morialta high.

A few of my Chinese friends have already bought in Magill, Tranmere etc - zoned to Magill Primary School and Norwood morialta high.

no doubt.

a lot of Chinese have also bought in Beaumont in recent times, and I've been told a major reason for that is the zoning to Linden Park Primary

Coming from an Asian heritage I can assure you that Schools are a major factor when buying property for me, my relatives and circle of friends. Do a principal's visit/open day to Glenunga International and you'll see the number of Asian students there. I can assure you the numbers are no where near for a school in the northern suburbs.

PS: my kid is 2 years old and I've already waitlisted him in Prince Alfred College. We are also in the catchment area of Glenunga International. Keeping our options open (and depending on our financial situation) when the time comes on which school to enrol him into.

I think the schooling is going to be a factor that will continue to increase in SA. Whilst I don't think it's a huge factor now, I do have clients who are buying specifically in catchment areas in the schools mentioned.

I think it already is. I know people who were paying a lot extra to rent in the Grange catchment, and a friend has just bought in the Campbelltown catchment area for their school. I think it's already a reasonable factor, and only will get more significant

Thank you for all your responses. Looks like that there is a growing number of people in SA care more about the schools.

I never knew Linden Park Primary School is so highly rated. Looking at it, it is an IB school like GIHS.

Whilst Adelaideans are definitely not as competitive in nature than say a Sydneysider, looks like it is starting to catch on. One thing I do like is that those catchment boundaries are finite, and I don't see those suburbs have a lot of supply of properties as they are probably against development of units etc (except Adelaide CBD itself). So I think there should not be oversupply.

So one strategy is to look at properties that are in the lower end but in good catchment area for High School (and Primary School if possible). With my budget I think I should find some houses that fits in my budget, may not be in GIHS catchment area, but maybe say at Norwood-Morialta area (say Rostrevor).

Let me know if my thinking is incorrect here.

Whilst I knew about PAC being a great school, I never knew you need to be in a queue for it! There are surely plenty of other great schools (eg St Peters, Pulteney, Pembroke etc) but I guess there are still a lot of people in Adelaide willing to send their kids to private education.

PS: I am also Asian heritage so it could be me having strong bias on education, not sure if this is the best way to buy an IP, but it worked in my favour in buying my PPOR 7 years ago.

Different city is in different part of the cycle. 2 years ago Adelaide was at 6 o'clock whereas perth would've been at about 9. Adelaide is always behind the main cities when it comes to the growth cycle. As a result things are usually less volatile here.

What I can gather is more and more investors coming into Adelaide mainly because of affordability and for metro cashflow neutral/positive properties.

I can remember going to a Margaret Lomas talk at the Perth Property Expo 4 years ago. She said Adelaide was the next hot spot and that Perth was not a good place to invest at that stage of the cycle. She always seems to be pumping Adelaide and I guess she has to be right sooner or later.

Most Searched Property Locations in 2014 from Realestate.com.au

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/h...every-state-for-the-last-three-months-2014-12

1. Parkside (SA)
2. Unley (SA)
3. Engadine (NSW)
4. Norwood (SA)
5. Albert Park (VIC)
6. Unley Park (SA)
7. Cherrybrook (NSW)
8. Holland Park (QLD)
9. Bella Vista (NSW)
10. Ringwood North (VIC

4 of the top 6 in Adelaide

Bear in mind that this is for realestate.com.au only. I might be wrong, but I think domain.com.au is more popular in some states.

Bear in mind that this is for realestate.com.au only. I might be wrong, but I think domain.com.au is more popular in some states.

my explanation is that Adelaide being a much smaller city has fewer "suburbs of interest", thus the search queries are more concentrated amongst a bunch of popular suburbs. whereas in sydney and melb etc there are far more suburbs available to choose from so the searches are spread more thinly across the board.

my explanation is that Adelaide being a much smaller city has fewer "suburbs of interest", thus the search queries are more concentrated amongst a bunch of popular suburbs. whereas in sydney and melb etc there are far more suburbs available to choose from so the searches are spread more thinly across the board.

Makes perfect sense

So I bought a double maisonette in April in Pennington for $380k which was ex housing trust. Last month I noticed major work being done on the street and found out government was subdividing all the maisonettes to sell individually. First 2 popped up directly next to mine and was advertised for $250k each. I thought no way and put in an offer for $205k each which I thought was properly priced considering they are noe subdivided and these were smaller and not as well fixed up as mine. Just found out both sold for $240k and $241k.

Some nice gains there for me ;) Will be good to see what the others go for when they eventually go up.

My first success story.

Wow,what a dumb move advertising the fact what you are selling is illegal to do, and a even dumber buyer following the $$$$$ signs,one can only hope a smart conveyancer picks it up.

Seen a house like this other day in salisbury downs well it was a house + granny flat rented separately. I questioned the agent and he said it was perfectly legal?

Back