Pergola on top of unit block

Hi,

Our body corporate is planning to install a pergola on the balcony of the topmost units in our block. The reason being that when there is a heavy rain, the water leaks through the units downstairs.

I know that the best way to fix the leaks is to retile and redo the waterproofing on the top balconies. But the body corporate wanted a cheaper solution to this problem. So that is why installing a pergola that would cover the top balconies was mentioned. If that is the case, do we need an approval from council before we can install the pergola?

thanks
Romeo

Erecting a structure on a roof with water issues seems like a pretty dopey way to deal with the problem.

I agree. I'm not in favour of this solution. The problem is that previously, only one of the balconies in the topmost units were re-waterproofed and retiled and it cost the body corporate 14k and it still had water issues. The body corporate is wary of spending that kind of money again that would cost probably 30k for 2 balconies.

Hi,

Our body corporate is planning to install a pergola on the balcony of the topmost units in our block. The reason being that when there is a heavy rain, the water leaks through the units downstairs.

I know that the best way to fix the leaks is to retile and redo the waterproofing on the top balconies. But the body corporate wanted a cheaper solution to this problem. So that is why installing a pergola that would cover the top balconies was mentioned. If that is the case, do we need an approval from council before we can install the pergola?

thank.
Romeo
Yes. It would need to be council approved. There are all sorts of structural issie as to how it is attached and also the wind loads.

There may also be height restrictions as the unit block may already be at it's maximum height.

Bottom line they should get the waterproofing fixed by a reputable trady rather than shonkies. This seems to be a constant problem with strata blocks where they just get completely ripped of.

Cheers

I can see why they might be a bit gun shy after spending $14,000 to not fix the problem previously. Presumably the mob who tried and failed to fix the issue were tracked down?
How much have they budgeted for the pergola and its ongoing maintenance?

The body corporate is wary of spending that kind of money again that would cost probably 30k for 2 balconies.

Might be the only way,if the waterproofing did not fix the problem then a roof section over the entire area will fix the overflow problem depending
on the storm water flow rate, plus it may add value to the complex,plus they will have to bring all the materials on the roof by a crane-high cost job....

Back