Perpetually Upgrading PPOR Strategy

Refer to both Invstor & Yadreamin,
I know of a number of people doing very nicely out of this strategy. It certainly would however be easier without children - those I know doing it well present their homes as new (ie., look as thou they are professionally styled) while they live in them. Personally I'm fed up with tenants this year myself - after nearly 20 years investing with little or no dramas - I've had a bad run with tenant problems this year (although yes I still agree the numbers work). We have a farm where we spend alot of our time otherwise we might also have been doing the build, live in and upgrade thing.
Like any investment option - it's success depends on a number of factors including a market which rises beyond the cost of buying your block of land and construction on. Obviously there are tax benefits and disadvantages (interest not deductible).
However - I like it!

Last edited:
Personally I'm fed up with tenants this year myself - after nearly 20 years investing with little or no dramas - I've had a bad run with tenant problems this year (although yes I still agree the numbers work).
I'm feeling much the same way. It's not just the tenants though, it's the other stuff like, have a termite inspection done on house and inspector trips in ceiling and damages it, having to keep on top of property managers to make sure insurance claims aren't made for $50 items when you have to pay excess and you know your inurance premium will go up, spending hours going through correspondance with PM's to get issues sorted. Or changing PM's only to find the tenants issues are still not resolved and the mess is even more tangles. I have been tempted to either upgrade to a premium location with the thought of downgrading later or selling PPOR now, down grading and Putting a big deposit on a commercial property. Convincing hubby is not easy though!

Back