Perth and WA getting progressive!

Make that 3 hours & 10 years due to lack of daylight saving... we have the brightest non sun bleached curtains in the nation tho :D

LOL - I don't expect to be there before end of March, so I'll stick with the 2 hours. ;)

What's with no daylight saving, anyway?

Actually... don't answer that - no need to derail my own thread. :eek:

Costco's lobbyists have usurped democracy.

Since when did 2 votes AND a referendum mean nothing?

I dont care either way, but it's just proves how much Australia is a monarchy and not a democracy.

no DST because it's stupid. if you want to take advantage of the sun, get up earlier and come home earlier - dont mandate it.

Since when did 2 votes AND a referendum mean nothing?

I'm with you Aaron, to go against a clear Referendum result is not on.

The Liberals need a big kick in the pants on that one.

They asked the people in the state what they wanted, and 63% said bugger off. 37% said they wanted it.

It looks like the minority got their way, and the 63% can go hop it.

On daylight savings, they asked us officially three times via a Referendum, with three distinct NO's, and then arbitarily imposed a 3 year "trial" anyway and then asked a 4th time, to which the majority of the state said NO for a fourth time.

It won't be long before they come asking for a 5th time, they obviously aren't getting the answer they want.

Still, that's better than getting a resounding NO and then saying bugger it, you're all going to have it whether you like it or not.

It's fantastic not aligning with what those cod wallopers do over in the east. We should be aligning with the Indians and Chinese and Japanese.

We've got about 2.5 billion people in our time zone.

The cane toads, cockroaches and Mexicans can play ball with PNG. Don't include us in your basket case economies.

Try pulling that one as a retail or office employee.

Rooster

i did, and do, and encourage it.

i was an office employee for many, many years and we have had a little thing called "flexitime" here in WA since the late 80s - whereby you can work 6-3, or 7-4, or 8-5 if you like....

bounce it back over to you, now.

How about Daylight Saving below the 26th Parallel in WA only?

Attachments

• 26th.JPG
    26th.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 74
We've forever got the govt telling us what we can and can't do with our businesses and lives.

I reckon if you own a shop and want to open late to try make a buck, then who's right is it to tell you that you can't?

Same deal if I'm at a cafe having a sandwich and want a cold beer with my sandwich. Well here we have the govt telling me I can't be served. I want the beer with the sandwich. The cafe owner wants to sell me the beer. But big brother say's no.

i want an SP5 ground to air missle launcher.

i want to buy it.

i have someone who wants to sell me one.

but big brother says no to that, too....

i was an office employee for many, many years and we have had a little thing called "flexitime" here in WA since the late 80s - whereby you can work 6-3, or 7-4, or 8-5 if you like....

Why am I stuck working 5.30 - 5.30?

i want an SP5 ground to air missle launcher.

i want to buy it.

i have someone who wants to sell me one.

but big brother says no to that, too....

I thought we were talking about trading hours/terms of retail outlets.

My point is that those undertaking the risk to engage in enterprise should have the option to choose when and what hours they trade.

Yep, I understand how flexi time works.

Unfortunately for a major part of the workforce, flexi time is not an option.

Think school teachers, Police, etc.

I'm all for flexibilty with work hours. Many employers can't or won't consider it.

I also think DLS is great too. My partner works in an industry where flexibile work hours isn't an option, so to be able to head to the beach in the final part of the day is great come this time of year.

Rooster

We've forever got the govt telling us what we can and can't do with our businesses and lives.

Someone has to be the boss.

I reckon if you own a shop and want to open late to try make a buck, then who's right is it to tell you that you can't?

Ummm, the Parliamentarians who make the rules.

if I'm at a cafe having a sandwich and want a cold beer with my sandwich. Well here we have the govt telling me I can't be served. I want the beer with the sandwich. The cafe owner wants to sell me the beer. But big brother say's no.

You seem to work on the premise that if you want it, you can get it ?? Aaron succinctly put paid to that notion with his missile example.

You obviously have never been through the incredibly painful process of applying for and being granted a liquor licence.

The hurdles one needs to jump over to get one have all been put in place by the "concerned local community"....of which you are a member.

What you "want" is highly irrelevant in most matters.

Unfortunately for a major part of the workforce, flexi time is not an option.

Think school teachers, Police, etc.

I know I'm about to offend somebody, and we're getting off-topic, but these have got to be the worst two examples.

School teachers, 7 hours days with a break every 45 minutes, 12 weeks of school holidays a year plus annual leave and sick leave. I know the arguement is that "there is a lot of planning that goes on outside of class time" but from the school teachers I know, (there are a number of them, good friends) this is often untrue. (Soiurce: father-in-law, teacher 25 years, good friend, teacher 15 years)

Police officers may not get "flex time", but their shifts can be quite favourable, pay great penaltys and come with many benefits. Also, the best sick leave policy i've ever come across, plus favourable annual leave, stress leave and LSL conditions. (source: father, WA police officer 30+ years, brother, Fed Pol 2 years, Dad's cop buddies, hundreds of years cumulative experience)

I thought we were talking about trading hours/terms of retail outlets.

My point is that those undertaking the risk to engage in enterprise should have the option to choose when and what hours they trade.

and you're also talking about granting a liquor license to someone who's only goal is to sell it to you.

Police officers may not get "flex time", but their shifts can be quite favourable, pay great penaltys and come with many benefits. Also, the best sick leave policy i've ever come across, plus favourable annual leave, stress leave and LSL conditions. (source: father, WA police officer 30+ years, brother, Fed Pol 2 years, Dad's cop buddies, hundreds of years cumulative experience)

Whats the sick leave policy?

How much annual and LSL do they get, and over what period do they have to serve to get it?

I believe they cant get income protection or life insurance - is that correct?

Back