Perth heating - new builds

I was talking with a building company today who advised they don't put gas points in as the comulsary vents lowers the energy efficiency of the house. Was wondering what people are considering as an alternative heating option. I guess electric heater?

I was talking with a building company today who advised they don't put gas points in as the comulsary vents lowers the energy efficiency of the house. Was wondering what people are considering as an alternative heating option. I guess electric heater?

Hmm now you have me thinking - I don't know if my 6 star plans do have a gas point and vent.
However they do have reverse cycle air con ducted so yes that could be an alternative heating option.
The idea though behind all the star efficiency is less need for heating and cooling so I guess builders might not be putting them in as standard anymore.

the wall vents and ceiling vents lower the star rating of a house by about half a point.

you're not meant to need heating in winter though, with your north facing windows and concrete slab for thermal mass......

and for a minute there I was looking at this thread about the heating market in Perth - guess you see what you focus on :)

ta

rolf
Well yes, that's happening too! I'm getting requoted for plans drawn three years ago and prices are up from $185,000 to $200,000 per unit. Have been warned prices will increase as market is heating up so prices could increase again before we start.

Do any builders quote a fixed price? I'm pretty sure my bank (Nab) wanted a fixed price for finance approval but being 3 years ago I could be wrong.

the wall vents and ceiling vents lower the star rating of a house by about half a point.

you're not meant to need heating in winter though, with your north facing windows and concrete slab for thermal mass......
Does it actually make a big difference? I'll keep that line in mind for tenants since I don't spoil them as much as Westminster.

Well yes, that's happening too! I'm getting requoted for plans drawn three years ago and prices are up from $185,000 to $200,000 per unit. Have been warned prices will increase as market is heating up so prices could increase again before we start.

Do any builders quote a fixed price? I'm pretty sure my bank (Nab) wanted a fixed price for finance approval but being 3 years ago I could be wrong.

Does it actually make a big difference? I'll keep that line in mind for tenants since I don't spoil them as much as Westminster.

Lol :)

Westminster villas have one split wall system which is reverse cycle in the living area. This was a 5 star energy rating property. If they are cold in the bedrooms they can start wearing some attractive flannelette PJs and pop an extra quilt on.

Gwelup is 6 star energy rating and much nicer area so they get ducted reverse cycle air con.

Highgate will be 7.5 stars (bloody nimbies) and have a split wall system.

And yes fixed price is possible from most builders. I have fixed price for all mine. The 6 star energy compliance has increased some costs but I think a 15k increase over 3yrs is not too bad.

Lol :)

Westminster villas have one split wall system which is reverse cycle in the living area. This was a 5 star energy rating property. If they are cold in the bedrooms they can start wearing some attractive flannelette PJs and pop an extra quilt on.

Gwelup is 6 star energy rating and much nicer area so they get ducted reverse cycle air con.

Highgate will be 7.5 stars (bloody nimbies) and have a split wall system.

And yes fixed price is possible from most builders. I have fixed price for all mine. The 6 star energy compliance has increased some costs but I think a 15k increase over 3yrs is not too bad.
Yes, I don't think the increase is too bad, would really like a fixed price as I think prices will be rising again very soon! Will push for it!

Yes, I don't think the increase is too bad, would really like a fixed price as I think prices will be rising again very soon! Will push for it!

What has surprised me most in the past few years is the spec level increases - first home buyers expecting stone benches, china basins, porcelein tiles, wooden floors.
And they are quite affordable too - I built my PPOR in 2003 and we have plastic toilets/basins/blah blah everything. My spoilt tenants live in luxury :cool:

Yer! I want to be your tenant. :) another change is hot plates and ovens going up to 900mm from 600mm as standard. Over the years I've managed to get two porcelain sinks upgraded. Half of a toilet.... Wonder how long till he finishes job??!! :) being married to a plumber the plastic annoys him more than me.

Yer! I want to be your tenant. :) another change is hot plates and ovens going up to 900mm from 600mm as standard. Over the years I've managed to get two porcelain sinks upgraded. Half of a toilet.... Wonder how long till he finishes job??!! :) being married to a plumber the plastic annoys him more than me.

I asked for a new toilet for Mother's Day but the super duper $149 model from Bunnings doesn't fit the holes we have. So I have to put up with the plastic, non soft closing, pee magnet toilet.

I want to be my tenant too.

Back