Pest Control - What do you do ?

Hi all, just had a pest control job done to our home. 45 minutes later and ... $315. I asked if termite inspection was included and this was an extra $295.

My wife saw 3 small cockroaches last week and started panicking. Last time we did this was a few years ago when we purchased home. So I thought we best take care of these little suckers. Prevention is better than care (this is me thinking).

Searching any pest control sites puts the fear of god into anyone so I will not even go there.

Just curious what others do when it comes to general pest control.

No doubt this will be an interesting topic.

We get the roach guy in every 1-2 years to put that gel around. Normally just over $100 & takes him 20 mins (small apartment)
But then my wife found a place in Chinatown that sells the gel so now we do it ourselves when it's needed :cool:

*Spiders - we don't do anything; just remove the offending spider if any appear (wife is borderline arachnophobic). The previous PPoR had 5 massive gums along the driveway overhanging the house. In summer (now) it was guaranteed to have one or three Huntsmans wandering around from room to room. We just collected them in containers or on the end of the broom and returned them to the offending trees.
Daddy long-legs and anything under the size of a 5c piece that isn't a white-tail get a free pass. Occasionally do a surface spray on outdoor repetitive webs - bought a 3lt bottle set-up from Bunnings for that.
*Ants - put down Ant-Rid if any appear. Gone in a few hours.
*Flies - impossible to keep out with 2 smaller kids constantly in and out. I take great glee in swatting them when they enter my life.
*Cockroaches - only seen one since being here and it was outside.
*Rats and Mice - we have a cat who is a handy hunter of mice (leaves the odd present at the back step), but have never seen any mice indoors.

I wouldn't waste my money on a pest control guy - the offenders are back in a few months anyway..get resourceful and solve the issue yourself is my tip.

Last edited:
The only issue I have had has really been with cockroaches, my new PPOR had them big time at night, which amused the cats playing catch but not pleasant in the kitchen.

I tracked them down to a huge nest in a retaining wall, nuked the nest (next day there were a couple of hundred dead cockroaches everywhere across the outdoor tiles) and since then no problems at all.

Moral: treating the symptoms (ie pests) is no good, they just breed and come back. Treat the source.

I get a company called Blake's Pest management on an annual basis. They actually call every year to make the booking.
Pest's droppings and dead cells may attract other pests. They also do damage to electronics and furniture. I would rather nip them out before even they start!

Has anyone had their house sprayed for spiders and if so how long does it keep them away for?

Found 3 white tails in the house this month and we have a baby on the way so wife is getting paranoid about them attacking the newborn... (One of the white tails was on my wife's back which hasn't helped her fear of spiders).

I have crows giving my orchard a hammering at the moment . They seem to go for the red plums first and then the green ones . Later on it will be the apples .

I have seen a crow with a stick in its mouth getting grubs out of a log and also on occasion getting into chooks eggs in the chook house . That's pretty smart for a bird...

I like birds but my tolerance for these crows has a limit and my .22 magnum has had a workout lately . Got 7 before breakfast the other morning :)

Shawn

My tenants complained of bees yesterday. PM organised an apiarist to go around and collect the bees for free - unfortunately they weren't bees and we are now paying for European wasp nest removal. Quoted under $200.

My tenants complained of bees yesterday. PM organised an apiarist to go around and collect the bees for free - unfortunately they weren't bees and we are now paying for European wasp nest removal. Quoted under $200.
Is it your responsibility?

Back