PETER COSTELLO: What Wayne Swan won't say in his 2013 budget speech

Mr Speaker,
I guess by now you have all figured out I don't know what I'm doing. That awful truth has finally dawned on me as well.

Regarding the Resources Super Profits Tax (RSPT)

When I announced it, I said it would raise $9 billion in the forthcoming year - whoops! I had high hopes for that tax. I called it "the greatest economic change in our lifetime". Of course I had no idea what I was saying but the Liberals are always going on about GST which raises $50 billion per year so I thought I had better lodge my nomination for the greatest tax "reform" ever.

Last year, I came home with a wet sail declaring: "The deficit years are behind us. The surplus years are here."
Looks like I got the words the wrong way around.

In April, I said the revenue was down $7.5 billion. A week later Julia said it was down $12 billion. Then Penny went out last week to say it was down $17 billion. I leaked out a Treasury briefing on the weekend to say we were $26 billion down.

I want people to think I am cutting costs. I've told you every budget that I am about to do that. But when I see a state premier who is really cutting costs - like Campbell Newman -- I just take cheap shots. That's my default position, to attack expenditure restraint.

So how do I reconcile all this? Well I can't. And I don't have to because on September 14 I'm handing it all over to the Liberals. That's their job: to clean up my mess.

Loved it!

Read full article here

Cheers,
Oracle.

I found it hard to imagine TA as PM. He says the wrong things at the wrong place at the wrong time....
It's a dangerous place to be if he's in. On the other hand labour has messed up.

I found it hard to imagine TA as PM. He says the wrong things at the wrong place at the wrong time....
It's a dangerous place to be if he's in. On the other hand labour has messed up.

Come September it will be up to Australia to chose between a broken leg and a broken arm.

Which one will inconvenience us more?

TBH there are a lot of very good pollies in the Libs at the moment. They just have poor leadership and have made a number of very poor policy announcements (great big tax on business to fund women of the "right calibre" popping out sprogs is just the the latest). I am certain they will get in. But I hope they replace the current poor leadership team, which is frankly embarrassing, with one of the many talented people in parliament.

And then we have his offsider Christopher Pyne, who has been caught out in another lie this morning. He is the worst of the worst. Pyne said they didn't grant a pair because the Labor member said she had a sick 'family member'. Firstly, this makes no sense, and secondly, Warren Entsch wrote 'sick child' in his letter denying the pair, proving Pyne a liar (again).

We should institute a law that you can't run for parliament until you are 40. This would stop career politicians; they would have to get a real job first.

But I hope they replace the current poor leadership team, which is frankly embarrassing, with one of the many talented people in parliament.

I'm guessing you're a Turnbull man? He did lead the party, he didn't do it well. He got replaced.

im a turnbull man and the only reason it didn't succeed was due to the JH aftermath and due to the fact that he has cow manure for brains mps at the time.

I'm guessing you're a Turnbull man? He did lead the party, he didn't do it well. He got replaced.

I'm an anyone but Abbott, Pyne or their ilk man.

Turnbull messed up over Utegate and deserved to be slammed for it, but I have much more faith in his leadership ability, and his ability as a statesman on a world stage, than someone who is forever putting his foot in his mouth and being a general embarrassment.

Yes, he got rolled. Many in the party don't like his moderate views so Abbott's mentor Senator Minchin organised his replacement.
Turnbull was going to resign but Howard persuaded him to stay.

Turnbull showed he was poor at playing politics, which proves my point.

We don't need people PLAYING politics, doing things like running out of the chamber when a vote is taken. We need people with policy ideas and the intellect to deliver.

Turnbull showed he was poor at playing politics, which proves my point.

We don't need people PLAYING politics, doing things like running out of the chamber when a vote is taken. We need people with policy ideas and the intellect to deliver.

It is all well and good to say that. However, in an adversarial political system, the Nash equilibrium dictates that both parties have to play politics (for better or worse) otherwise they will get defeated at the next election. You cannot run Government from Opposition.

I'm an anyone but Abbott, Pyne or their ilk man.

Turnbull messed up over Utegate and deserved to be slammed for it, but I have much more faith in his leadership ability, and his ability as a statesman on a world stage, than someone who is forever putting his foot in his mouth and being a general embarrassment.

Completely agree

The most apt thing i can say about the circus that is Fed politics at the moment is that there is no doubt the useless ALP deserves to lose but an Abbott led Libs as it is atm doesnt deserve to win either. It will be the Stephen Bradbury of elections.

I was looking forward to voting for my Perth member to replace Stephen Smith despite me thinking Stephen is one of the best of a bad bunch but after his atrocious stunt with Abbott with the "How many illegal boats have arrived in Australia under Labor" nonsense im not sure i can trust him.

I was looking forward to voting for my Perth member to replace Stephen Smith despite me thinking Stephen is one of the best of a bad bunch but after his atrocious stunt with Abbott with the "How many illegal boats have arrived in Australia under Labor" nonsense im not sure i can trust him.

That's because the ALP has systematically tried to character assassinate Abbott. Every interview/news conference on any radio/tv station is always Abbott this, Abbott that.

That's because the ALP has systematically tried to character assassinate Abbott. Every interview/news conference on any radio/tv station is always Abbott this, Abbott that.

That's politics. The Libs do the same to Gillard.

That said, I don't like his politics, his style of politics, his juvenile activities or his general worldview. And that is because of factors far removed from the traditional Liberal party approach - refusing MPs a conscience vote for one.

That's politics. The Libs do the same to Gillard.

Well, I will let that one slide. Her record speaks for itself. The attacks on Abbott are hardly justified - he's not even the PM yet.

refusing MPs a conscience vote for one.

I think people need to get over this gay marriage thing. The lobbyists tried, it was put to a vote, it failed. Forget it.

Back