Peter Spann Strategy, anyone made it?

I would also be very interested to hear it now, since he was advocating property trusts and the like how has this been affected with the current situation?.
These guys all jumped ship from real property for the stock market?, holy moly.

dont know but his listed investment company FXI has held up pretty well since july compared to the ASX200. Droping from around 72c to 64c compared the the ASX droping from 5200 down to 3700 odd.
So it just goes to show, even within investments different assets perform at different levels, especially over the short term.
PS no i dont own this stock, im weary with the whole theory behind this stuff.

Hi all,

In the latest API magazine there is an interview with a couple of property gurus, Jan Somers and Monique Wakelin along with others. They basically say their approach to property investment is the same as it always has been.

Pretty boring really, which is as it's meant to be.

bye

I regard all this option trading stuff as toxic.

I can only imagine what has happened to property investors that were using the share market to cover cash shortfalls on negatively geared property. The word implosion springs to mind.

And Peter Spann says its not for novices. Well apparently its not for Opes Prime, Lehman Bros, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch or Goldman Sachs either.

Smartest guys in the room indeed.

Are you sure they arent buying their own stock to keep the price afloat. I'm not saying they're doing it but its not uncommon.

dont know but his listed investment company FXI has held up pretty well since july compared to the ASX200. Droping from around 72c to 64c compared the the ASX droping from 5200 down to 3700 odd.
So it just goes to show, even within investments different assets perform at different levels, especially over the short term.
PS no i dont own this stock, im weary with the whole theory behind this stuff.

I would also be very interested to hear it now, since he was advocating property trusts and the like how has this been affected with the current situation?.
These guys all jumped ship from real property for the stock market?, holy moly.

Our strategy remains the same - diversify. We never encouraged our clients to sell all their residential property to buy shares or property trusts.
We did however encourage them to diversify into those assets, and yes, right at the moment they are performing badly, but ours was and still is a long term strategy and I am confident that in the long term those assets will out-perform.

In the latest API magazine there is an interview with a couple of property gurus, Jan Somers and Monique Wakelin along with others. They basically say their approach to property investment is the same as it always has been.

I have found that successful investors rarely change their strategy. Once they have found something that they are good at, works in most climates and is simple for them to execute why change?

Really it’s just a matter of emphasis and momentum. As in sometimes parts of the strategy are emphasised over others and sometimes you go faster or slower.

Actually I've always said as soon as you get excited about investing you're probably on the wrong track.

Are you sure they arent buying their own stock to keep the price afloat. I'm not saying they're doing it but its not uncommon.

Yes FXI is conducting a buy-back and the shareholders just approved its continuation at the AGM last week.

However the buyback price is a good proxy for the performance of the portfolio as we generally try to keep the price within a range of the NTA.

Hi all,

bye

Correct, they all say, except Reno King Geoff Doige, " Buy and Hold"

Reno Kings says everything: buy and reno, trade, develope etc.. but tha tis thier interest area so far enough.

Peter 14.7

There seems to be a lot of listed companies on the ASX that have share market purchase plan offers/buy backs/?? in place at this stage of the cycle,Nab has an offer from 24th nov--offer closes 12th december,$500-$1000-$5000-$10,000 lots for eligble shareholders at 20.00 per share with no entry costs,posted my application form of on friday,who cares about todays price,in 5 years time it will be different..willair..imho..
''This is not advice"...

I have found that successful investors rarely change their strategy. Once they have found something that they are good at, works in most climates and is simple for them to execute why change? .

So Peter, why are you constantly changing your strategy? You had a great strategy 10 years ago, but since you seem to be coming up with all these new schemes? Like those macquarie products, complete disasters.

I liked your original system, buy, renovate, redraw, hold buy shares with equity.. why change this?

I would suspect you must have lost millions perosnally in those macquarie products, and LPT's you have been pushing over the recent years, not to mention reputation as well.

I think you getting into bed with macquarie was your biggest mistake.

he wouldnt be the only one - I have dropped some large numbers with that macquarie rubbish... if only I had bought shares unleveraged, I would still have somehting. If only....

he wouldnt be the only one - I have dropped some large numbers with that macquarie rubbish... if only I had bought shares unleveraged, I would still have somehting. If only....

Of course I do not know what you invested in but presuming there were recommended by us...
[FONT=+mn-ea]We understand that people are upset by the (lack of) performance of these funds but… [/FONT]
[FONT=+mn-ea]Remembering that you were loaned 100% of the investment and gained capital protection, they actually performed exactly as they should have given the massive fall in the underlying investments and the dramatic fall in interest rates. [/FONT]
[FONT=+mn-ea]They outperformed their benchmarks and protected investors from significantly greater loss. This may be a bitter pill to swallow but it is the reality. [/FONT]
[FONT=+mn-ea]And you DO have something left. The average net asset value of the funds we recommended is about 82c. That is still significantly above what you would have had if you had invested directly in shares and if you were to move to our replacement product you would have that investment “reset” at current market levels at approximately $1 for every dollar you originally invested. [/FONT]

[you would have that investment “reset” at current market levels at approximately $1 for every dollar you originally invested. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR]

there's still zero net assets. the product was fine for the times and yes the cap garuantee has worked a treat, but either way it serves as a beautiful example of thinking from the boom days... too much debt and too much leverage. time to get back to basics.

time to get back to basics.

big.chart

I don't know much about FXI only what i have read,but the simple facts always speak for themselves,not many people have the skills to keep producing a lot of longterm-shorterm forecasts concerning so many variables with so many venerable institutions still hanging in the balance
btw i have watched Mr Spann speak..
imho..willair..

Actually, with respect, that's not true.

As I said on average the Macquarie Structured Product funds we recommended have an average net tangible assets of 82c

but how much debt is attached to that 82c? or are you saying the units are $1.82 with a $1 of debt? if so I agree that is excellent

I am in a couple of different ones. The multi strategy is in negative equity (well it's cap gtd, but net asset value is nil)

big.chart

I don't know much about FXI only what i have read,but the simple facts always speak for themselves,not many people have the skills to keep producing a lot of longterm-shorterm forecasts concerning so many variables with so many venerable institutions still hanging in the balance
btw i have watched Mr Spann speak..
imho..willair..

you cant use the chart with ASX200 as the comparison, you have to use the accumulation indexes so you are matching apples with apples.
The ASX200 doesnt include dividends, and dividends in most markets comprise a SIGNIFICANT % of total long term returns.

Back