Petrol to go over & stay over a dollar

Here's a snapshot of the US futures market's prices for crude oil for the next two years.

Suffice to say that the price of oil is expected to drop slightly, but remain over that magic US$35 mark...in fact over US$37 for the entire period.

http://cdfa.aghost.net/index.cfm?show=62&subtype=crude%20oil

Oh and Matthew Simmons has had some interesting things to say about Saudi's claims they can maintain their level of oil production over the next 50 years: http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/files/Hudson%20Institute.pdf

(And he's not ramping oil prices as a certain person has claimed - he's calling for transparency in the market so that industries can begin preparations for moves to alternative energy sources should the Saudis be stretching the truth).

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi acey,

Now if Simmons is correct, and the Iraqies have the second largest reserves that are realistic, I'd sure want to be in control of their oil fields. I wonder who else thinks so :rolleyes:

bye

Hydrogen cell efficiency up to 8%...needs to reach 10% to be commercially viable

The latest from the alternate energy area:

"Capturing sunlight to make enough hydrogen fuel to power cars and buildings has been brought a step closer by a British research company.
Hydrogen Solar says it has managed to convert more than 8% of sunlight directly into hydrogen with fuel cell technology it has specially developed. For an energy source to be commercially viable, it must reach an efficiency of 10%, which is an industry standard.

Hydrogen power, a renewable energy, has the potential to replace fossil fuels...The Tandem Cell technology developed by Hydrogen Solar uses two photocatalytic cells in series which are coated with a nano-crystalline - extremely thin - metal oxide film. The key to the process has been the advances in novel coatings brought about by recent developments in nanotechnology."

Although its potential has been discussed for decades, advances in nanotechnology are helping to make the promise of hydrogen power more feasible.

Last year, General Motors (GM) said it planned to be the first to sell a million fuel cell vehicles in the next decade.

Other automotive giants have also championed hydrogen fuel.

DaimlerChrysler, Ford and GM have spent about $2bn on fuel cell cars, trucks and buses. The first products came out last year, and many UK cities have deployed hydrogen buses.

Ford's Chairman William Clay Ford Jr went so far as predicting fuel cells would end the reign of the internal combustion engine.

But there have been a number of technical and financial stumbling blocks - including taxation - which have prevented its large scale adoption, and Dr Auty thinks there need to be more political will to push the technology forward.

"There is a chicken and egg issue here," he said.

"Who is going to build a car before they have filling stations, and who is going to build stations before we have the cars. "It has to be strategically thought out and driven by government. There is a political will in US, but I think the UK is a bit behind the pace."

More at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3536156.stm

Cheers,

Aceyducey

The perception with doomsayers that the Human race is about to hit the wall is founded from fear and self-interest. So it is great to see positive posts about the future here.

When and how this technology will be viable we don’t know yet but we get through each Crisis because like the infamous statement that “only six computers will ever be built and they will be too expensive for all but mega rich countries”, only the truly insightful can even glimpse the future.

Congrats to Acey to helping the forum to be part of this glimpse. Time to buy desert plots with lots of sunshine? Rockhamption again! :eek:

Regards Peter 147

Here's the other side of the discussion....

Crude oil, which rose above $US46 a barrel on the weekend, may fall to $US30 a barrel next year as concerns about supply disruptions in Iraq, Russia and Venezuela ease and the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries boosts output.

Speaking in Jakarta, OPEC president Purnomo Yusgiantoro said: "There is a psychological premium in the market of $US16 a barrel because of Yukos, Iraq and Venezuela. If the premium disappears, the crude oil price will stay at about $US30 a barrel next year."

Venezuela, Iraq and Russia supply about 17 per cent of the world's crude oil.

OPEC was pumping 30 million barrels of crude oil a day to stem the rally in prices, Mr Purnomo said. The increase had nothing to do with a shortage of oil.

"The world is already oversupplied by between 1.5 and 2 million barrels a day but the price is still high," he said.

Source: SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/15/1092508262703.html)

Bear in mind:

OPEC has set a target for oil to be priced at $US28-35 / barrel. The organisation has an active interest in talking down oil prices from current levels. If oil prices go too high many countries and companies will invest more in alternate energy sources thus jeapardising oil producer revenues in the medium term. Already we've seen a reported 8-fold increase in queries for LPG conversions for family cars in Australia at grassroots level.

Currently global oil reserves are historically on the low side. The US reserves are very low after their war & they are actively rebuilding them for security reasons. China is rapidly mechanising it's armed forces after a bit of a surprise at the US's easy victory in Iraq & in order to fulfil their own superpower ambitions...at the same time China is rapidly shifting to a more mechanised society, more automobiles, air conditioners, industry & computers - thus is experiencing both a huge leap in oil usage & requirements for an oil reserve (plus their main oil field is declining at 5% per year).

Many countries are on the downside of oil production. Their production is decreasing while demand is increasing - Australia is one example...we used to export oil, now we import 90% of our needs. A strong oil reserve is important for security in every country, let alone to meet demand!

Finally consider this - OPEC claims that the world is oversupplied by oil by 2 million barrels a day - that equates to 730 million barrels a year.....or 10 days global usage at current levels - that's not much of a safety margin for an industrialised world!

With the current oil demand curve, at current production levels we'll be back to a deficit level in only a few years....and no new massive oil fields like been located in the last 25 years (though Kazakhstan holds promise of one more and we can always pillage Antarctica - and I believe this WILL happen even if a war has to be fought over it).

Also bear in mind my personal biases - I like oil prices at US$35 or higher :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Here's an interesting piece in the SMH about how we're having a DEMAND lead oil shock, different from the last three which were SUPPLY led.

An interesting view on why there's not necessarily a recession in the future due to the shock.

Personally I won't be calling it a 'shock' (emotive term) unless oil is over $55 by the end of the year :)

The first three oil shocks were supply shocks initiated by the OPEC export cartel and prompted by revolutions and wars (the Yom Kippur war in 1973, the Iranian revolution and the Iraq-Iran war of 1979-80, and the first Gulf War of 1990).
The fourth, this one, is primarily a demand shock led by China. As an example: in the Yangtze River Delta there are three to four power cuts a week because the electricity industry is unable to cope with the explosion in manufacturing. More and more factories are therefore running on diesel generators instead; as a result demand for fuel is exploding.

All this makes the current oil shock different in character, but perhaps not in effect.

The first three oil shocks each helped cause global recession. The 2004 version might not do that because oil is a smaller proportion of the world economy and because China's explosive demand for energy and other raw materials is based on high consumer demand for cheap Chinese manufactures.

China thus demonstrates the truism that labour is a far greater proportion of the end price of a manufactured product than the raw material, so that cheap labour outweighs the impact of the commodity price shock.

As a result, end prices are not rising and central banks will not have to create recessions to retrench demand and control inflation as before. Then again, rates are rising and the US economy looks more vulnerable than it ever has to any kind of shock, given the lack of savings, and the record current account deficit and federal budget deficit.
Source: SMH - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/20/1092972754647.html

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Here in the UK unleaded is 80p a litre now and rising. More than 60p of that is govt taxes.

Hearing prices of $1 per litre makes me envious, even though I know that`s quite expensive for Oz.... it`s a hell of alot cheaper than here.

Storm said:
Here in the UK unleaded is 80p a litre now and rising. More than 60p of that is govt taxes.

Hearing prices of $1 per litre makes me envious, even though I know that`s quite expensive for Oz.... it`s a hell of alot cheaper than here.

Interesting point storm. I was in the UK 3 years back and thought 60p? humm thats x 3 so $1.80c a litre. :eek:

Here is Aus we can think about our world and say that $1.10 is bad but liveable.

We can forget the rest of the world is paying even more and that England, Europe, etc have a bigger influence on work economics than we do, so what is livable for us but be shattering for them.

Regards, Peter 147

Whine. Whine. Whine.

Whinge. Whinge. Whinge.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but there are people in this wide brown land of ours who have been paying well over $1 per litre of fuel for years.

Such as at Menindee where I am reliably informed that the going rate is currently $1.15 per litre.

Are we really a forum of city slickers who have never been west of the divide?

MB

Pitt St said:
Whine. Whine. Whine.

Whinge. Whinge. Whinge.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but there are people in this wide brown land of ours who have been paying well over $1 per litre of fuel for years.

Such as at Menindee where I am reliably informed that the going rate is currently $1.15 per litre.

Are we really a forum of city slickers who have never been west of the divide?

MB

Who you calling city clicker you Pitt St Farmer :p

Having spent two years in Bourke I'm amazed it is only $1.15. I remember paying $1 in 1988.

True Story, Peter (the bushie) 147 :D

Peter 147 said:
Who you calling city clicker you Pitt St Farmer :p

Ooops!

Caught out. :eek:

I'll have to remember to change my address on the user profile to something more Hicksville like. :rolleyes:

My brother moved to Menindee in 1990 and it has been over a $1 per litre in all his time there.

MB :)

Solution to Petrol Price

Hi,

Well, reading this thread . . . I can't solve the future deminishing oil reserve problem. However, coping with expensive fuel does have a solution. :)

Note: Current price $1.09 PL
As opposed to $0.89 PL a few months ago.

My current consumption is approx 60L per week. (Yes, yes work does involve a fair bit of travel.)

60L x $0.89 pl x 52 weeks = $2,776pa
Now: 60L x $1.09 pl x 52 weeks = $3,400 An extra $624pa

SOLUTION: BUY ENERGY STOCKS!!

Example:
01/07/04 WPL $16.78 per share
10/09/04 WPL $18.31 per share

This constitutes a 9% increase since 1 July.

Yes, energy shares do generally go up when the price of fuel increases.

The purchase of 100 WPL shares at the cost of $16.78 = $1,678 (Borrowing cost at 8%pa = $134) so total cost for the year (not counting dividends) = $1812.24

Profit to date: 100 shares x $1.53 = $153.00 More than enough to cover my extra petrol bill!

Annualised this translates to an extra $705 which is greater than the $624 pa petrol increase cost. (Includes cost of borrowing the funds.)

To be safe the purchase of 500 WPL shares on this basis would be more than sufficient to cover most any fuel price increase. (Leverage)

The logic is that as fuel prices increase, so does the profitibilty of energy companies. (And visa versa of course)

An interesting 'hedge' against costs eh?? :D

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

What about the buying and selling cost? You have to take off close to $50 for it, and also inflation then look at the ROI. WPL paid 46c (assume fully franked dividend) in the last 12 months and if they pay the at least the same
it is an extra $46 which would cover the buying and selling cost. :D

Also another bit that I am not sure you've taken into consideration. Assuming that the the price will go up, but at that same time the oil price will also go up, meaning that you might pay $1.20 per litre for the petrol, and at that time the profit has gone. :confused:

Also you have to buy WPL at the same entity as the car is kept and taxation should also help to reduce the profit.

After all of this I am still happy that you have WPL in the Navra Share Fund portfolio as whatever is the truth about natural shortage vs speculator driving up price, in the long term the price can go only in one way, up.

I personally strongly held this opinion as we 'develop' China and India (and maybe some other asian economies) into the manufacturing centres of the world (at our expense :confused: ) and their increasing need (together with their huge population who all would love to live having all western goddies, including cars) will underly the demand more than any half attempt by western countries to reduce their reliance on oil.

Obviously terrorism, local wars and shutting down Russian oil companies and having civil issues other oil producing economies makes some temporary difference, but the main trend will not be altered.

asy said:
Yeah, it's awful,

Never mind anything else, Petrol around here hit 92c today!!!

Lucky I filled up this morning at 81c... (Still high, but not as bad as 92!)

Interesting times...

asy :D

How good does that 92c look today?

Back