Pets?

Hello all,

What is your opinion of pets in rental properties? I see both sides of the story here:

a) They might chew fittings like curtains, or leave the place smelling really bad.
b) It might attract your property to a much broader market.

What's everyone elses opinion here?

Also, is it possible to say ppl with pets rent for $x extra?

Gee, I had this exact same dilemma about two weeks ago! One of my properties, a new townhouse in Brisbane, and it had been vacant for about ten weeks. The PM phoned me one day and said he had sourced a tenant, but they had a dog. I had made the stipulation previously ... NO PETS. Anyway the tenant signed the lease with this condition included. I then received a fax from my PM, on behalf of the tenant, about three weeks after the tenant moved in. It was a plea from the tenant that their son was missing the dog etc. I showed the fax to my wife who immediately said "no way" (or words to that effect!!). I ended up allowing the dog but I had the tenant sign an agreement with several stipulations. My wife thought I was being taken for a ride. She reckoned that the tenant had every intention of getting the dog in there eventually anyway! That is my wife though, she says she has no interest in my "wealth creation" strategies but when something like this happens she suddenly wants to crucify me!! I know it is hard to find a rental property if you have pets. We experienced this when we rented in between moving from our old house to building a new one. We had two Golden Retrievers. But we did find something, and we did not allow the dogs inside etc. I suppose it depends a lot on the tenant. If they are doing the right thing, and abiding by my "conditions" and there is no damage to my property, I am not happy about it, but I am willing to tolerate it.

The Fester

Pets can cause the obvious problems. I've often let property to people with pets. Usually it has been on run down properties. and with dogs, with properties with run down back gardens. So far (touch wood) I've had no unresolved problems. The last tenant with a pet I let into a recently renovated house (new carpet and painting). She struck me as a very neat and reliable tenant - back up by cross checked references. She was with me about 2 years - kept the place imaculate and left the place imaculate.
Its horses for courses - the right people for the right property. and having good WRITTEN and VERBAL agreements with the tenant. Having good communications and assessment.
Life is worth living - for everyone. But you have to make the judgement on the individual PERSON applying. I've had far worse damage from PEOPLE. Minor pet damage has always (so far) been satisfacorily resolved.
Must go
Just A MUM

Hi DT...

A very worthy discussion, but you may find it useful to do a quick search on the topic. There was a fantastic discussion including ideas for additional rent... etc... with regard to pets.

hope this helps.

asy :D

Don't short change yourself geoff. you buy a piece of land for deve. while the DA's going through council, you can keep the grass down and earn an income!

Jas

Ah, I did say I wouldn't allow tenants to have horses...

So you're proposing I house tenants on a piece of land? :D

Originally posted by Jas
Don't short change yourself geoff. you buy a piece of land for deve. while the DA's going through council, you can keep the grass down and earn an income!

Jas

Yeah, I'm sure Deve would love a piece of land, wouldn't you deve?

asy :D :D

Hi,

I was contacted recently by my property manager in Brisbane regarding a tenant in another unit wanting a dog. My response and my PM's response was:

Hi Susan,

I've received a phone call from Darren but wasn't home. He mentioned something about giving permission for the keeping of dogs.

As far as my own unit is concerned I'd like to maintain a "No pets allowed policy". As for the keeping of animals by owners or tenants in the other units I'm willing to be a little more flexible and consider it on a case by case basis.

Firstly, I would like all the tenants consulted for their views. If they are agreeable and the landlord is agreeable then I would also agree based on the following proviso:

Since this matter concerns a dog the following points apply to dogs.

1. The dog should be vaccinated.
2. It should be desexed.
3. It should have undergone and passed behaviour training before it is allowed on the premises.
4. It should be obediance and noise trained. Barking dog complaints are one of the most common complaints the Council receives.
5. It should be registered with the Brisbane City Council.
6. The dog owner and other tenants should receive a copy of The Brisbane Dog Code. Include a complaints procedure such as:

If your neighbour's dog is causing problems, you can take the following steps:

(1). Approach the dog's owner as soon as the problem arises and state your case clearly and politely.

(2). If the dog's owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you could contact the Dispute Resolution Centre on 1800 017 288. This service provides free mediation which is impartial, confidential and available after hours.

(3). If these methods do not work, you should contact Council's Call Centre on 07 3403 8888. Council cannot accept anonymous complaints but your identity will remain confidential unless the issue proceeds to court.

(4). Contact the Strata Manager or a member of the Owners Corporation.

7. The dog owner and other tenants should be informed of the noise guidelines by the BCC. Noise Guidelines:
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/home_garden/good_neighbour/guidelines/animal_noise.shtml

8. Permission should be granted on the basis that such permission can be revoked at any time to resolve a dispute. Any lot owner can do so without prior consent by other lot owners. This should fast track the resolution process.

9. The dog owner can get further info about dog behaviour training at a free seminar:
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/home...rking/complaints/training/organisations.shtml

The above steps, I feel, need to be addressed so that everyone concerned understands that permission is not granted lightly and that, in the event that the dog creates a nuisance the tenants will know the complaints procedure and the dog owner must be prepared to remove the dog from the premises should any lot owner revoke permission.

Regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Please be advised at no circumstance would we persue a potential client if we were not confident that they have served us sufficent references and condition reports. We have also spoken with the residents in the block and owners advising them of the situation and we have agreed in the best interest of the residents and owners we have included a special clause which states that if we have complaints of noise from the dog through the correct procedure we will terminate the lease.

I hope this confirms your response in your e mail.

Kind Regards

Your Property Portfolio Manager
Susan L

Over the e\years I have changed my mind about pets.
While I was initially against pets and had a no pet clause in my leases, I've come to the conclusion that tenants with pets are probably better than tenants with small children.
I've had both and I know our dog and our cat make less mess than our kids!
By the way, in Victoria a no pets clause in a lease is unenforceable.
I know you see it in your leases, but if you go to the tribunal and the pet is not causing damage, you can't get rid of either the pet or the tenant. If the pet is causing damage, then you can get the tenant to repair / reiinstate.

Back