Photos emailed - OE6 VS Microsoft Outlook

I promise I am not turning this PI forum into a Technical Forum, but I know there are clever Somersoftians out there who know about this stuff.

I have finally changed hubby over to Microsoft Outlook instead of Outlook Express 6.

He likes it very much but one thing he misses is when he is emailed multiple photos (jpg images) in OE6 he could look at them by scrolling through the email.

With Microsoft Outlook you have to open each on up indivually which is a pain.

Does anyone know how I can configure M Outlook to be like Outlook Express with looking at photos??

Oh yes it is Microsoft Outlook 2003

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
Petal,

I don't know if you can. I'm using Outlook 2007 at work now, and I can't find any option there to allow that. Also, see this comment by an MS Outlook MVP (although I'm not sure if it specifically relates to Outlook 2003).

Why did you get him to switch from OE to Outlook though? Unless you need to connect to Exchange Server, I think Outlook is a PITA. For my own personal email, I use Mozilla Thunderbird these days. It supports inline display of JPEG attachments.

GP

Last edited:
Hi GP,

Thanks for that. Pity, it looks like he will have to open each photo individually.

I switched him over as he sends emails out professionaly and I couldn't (or couldn't work out how to ) put a logo into his signature block. Also we had had some bad experiences with losing business emails when OE6 made us do that compression thingy. Another reason was OE6 makes the emails too fat, i.e. it is 11gb in OE6 and on 4gb in Microsoft Outlook.

It is a shame though that he can't look at photos by scrolling within the email itself.

Some things advance and some retreat I guess :eek:

It is a shame though that he can't look at photos by scrolling within the email itself.

Some things advance and some retreat I guess :eek:
Well some do prefer it that way, as inline images in HTML can be web bugs that allow tracking or acknowledge receipt when the image is fetched (ie. the sender knows you've viewed the email, and thus that the email address is a valid one, when the image is requested from their server).

Thunderbird does block image loading in preview unless you specifically allow it on an email address or email by email basis.

GP

Hi Petal,
If you want the photos in the main section of the email you must insert them from the drop down menu at the top. If you copy & paste they will be inserted as an attachment instead.

Got to - Insert>Picture>from File

InsertPicture.png

Regards
Steve

If you have broadband internet you should switch to GMail you can store about 12GB which is more then enough for most and you never ever lose your email as its stored on googles servers. No software to mess with and all the forwarding options and multiple email gathering functionality you could ever need. It also lets you view pictures all in a line like you want.

Application based email is going the way of the dodo in my opinion

I'll take email clients over web email interfaces any day.

I do use Gmail but only access it with the Thunderbird client (unless I happen to be travelling). I'd much sooner have local copies of all my emails so I can back them up and view them without having to connect to the Internet. Much faster too.

And I don't think Blackberry will be very happy if web email interfaces become the only option.

GP

I do use Gmail but only access it with the Thunderbird client (unless I happen to be travelling). I'd much sooner have local copies of all my emails so I can back them up and view them without having to connect to the Internet. Much faster too.

And I don't think Blackberry will be very happy if web email interfaces become the only option.

GP

Gmail has an offline feature via Google Gears, which is quite cool. :)

GP

Its a personal preference thing I guess, i have more faith in googles servers and backup systems then my own and with always connected broadband the whole thing is seamless. I travel a bit and to be able to always have access to all my email is fantastic. If I need documents I just email them to my self and I have an online copy.

Back