Planning Ahead - Buying for Retirement

G'Day

At the moment Mike and I are buying for our retirement.

Mike got the bright idea a couple of weeks ago so last weekend we scouted around our chosen area, saw some spectacular houses, and are now negotiating for the place I fell in love with from the internet presentation.

We figure that we are at least ten years away from 'retirement' and in that time property values could be expected to double. By buying now the properties will never be cheaper, and we can maximise the investment benefit of the other properties to ensure that we can pay out the loan on the new purchase without interrupting the income producing properties.

We will have plenty of time to continue to buy throughout the ten years and ensure a financially comfortable thirty years after the day to day working income ceases.

So, as potential retirees, what did we look for?

Well, we firstly decided that a three bedroom unit in Blackburn near the station was an admirable idea but one which I did not want.

So, we decided that to be beside the sea would be good. Brighton? Phillip Island? Brighton would be better, so we started there.

Inspected a couple of wonderful places, but I felt that sitting on the front porch facing Beach Road in my dressing gown was not going to be a good look, so we kept moving south.

Mordialloc? Great place, really bustling and vibrant, but fronting Nepean Highway and crossing the road to get to the beach was a bit of a chore. And the beach is very structured, very public; we kept moving.

Between Aspendale and Bon Beach, now there's an idea! So we drove every street, inspected a few knockdown rebuild opportunities, argued a bit, found a couple of modern townhouses but where to put the Nicholas Dattner dining table (seats ten), and where would the (futuristic) grandchildren sleep during school holidays?

Inspected a lovely house late in the day and went back the next morning to see a fantasmorgoricle modern development with views to Mt Martha but smack next to a level crossing. Ding ding ding ding ding! Never knew the train service was so efficient on a Sunday!

So the fantasy weatherboard has won the vote. Now to negotiate! Views of the water from two of the upstairs bedrooms if you lean in the right direction. A wonderful atmosphere, and a study where I won't have to share space with the washing machine. North facing family room, kitchen and garden, 50 metres to a lovely scrubby beach, and no road to cross between us and the sand. Heaven!

A choice of two railway stations about equal distance away, bus at the end of the street, and a local shopping centre just up and around the corner.

Hopefully, we can all agree on a price, and we will rent it until we are ready to move in. The Budget today has just about buried negative gearing but anything is a help and the most sensible idea is to buy another two or three small investment properties to help us pay the loan out when we are ready to move.

Mike is already talking about getting a sea kayak as the beach has barriers to block vehicle traffic, and a kayak can be carried down the road and lifted over the barriers. No mooring fees - it can be pulled up into the roof of the garage when not in use.

This is all very exciting! We haven't bought a house 'for us' for a long time. For 'the family', yes, but not just for us. Putting the destination in place now will give a focus to retirement plans, so although we will probably not set foot inside it between settlement and retirement, it will be nice to know that it's there waiting for us.

And this time, I intend to buy some new furniture! The 25 year old Gage Pine three piece suite has been reupholstered once, and the settee has lost all it's bungee straps which have been replaced with a sheet of chipboard. Yeah, it's all class at our place! So maybe that's another extra investment property to take care of the new furniture? Well, it's as good an excuse as any!

Anyone else taking the long term view (pun very definitely intended!) towards retirement?

Cheers

Kristine

As always, thanks for the entertaining post Kristine. I'm a bit further away from buying a retirement house than you, so I'm not looking just yet. I guess my concern would be that the place I want to retire to (on top of an isolated windswept cliff somewhere in Tassie, maybe on one of the islands, hmmm where's that map again) is probably not going to be an ideal IP. Is your new place going to be easy to rent out?

John.

Great post. We have been considering the same thing lately. We live in Mandurah and love hanging around the marina/cafe precinct. Our dream is to have the sports cruiser in the marina and have just a short walk to hop on and head out for a spot of cruising. ie. cruise around to one of the public jetties where we can tie up before enjoying a meal in one of the waterfront restaurants/cafes, or great family fun days with our futuristic grandkids swimming/picnicking etc, or maybe just cruise out into Comet Bay, drop anchor and enjoy a few coldies with our freinds as the sun sets over the Indian Ocean. Bring it on :D

The sports cruiser is virtually do-able now but the luxury apartment isn't an option right now as a PPOR as our kids are still young (5 & 2) and need a big backyard etc and also the mortgage would kill off furture investments. But we keep thinking it would make sense to buy an apartment now (either finished or off the plan) to secure our "spot" and have it as an IP until we are ready to move in (say 15 yrs). The downside as we see it is that we'd never get to live in the apartment when it was new (emotional/irrational I know :eek:). In 15 years we'd definitely have to factor in a major update/renovation. The upside is we believe it would be a very sound investment even if we changed our minds about living there in the future anyway.

But, you gotta have dreams, then you gotta have a plan and you gotta take action or you never achieve anything (unless you're just plain lucky and I don't believe in luck).

Flatout

About 3 years ago, my friend and her husband purchased a 3 bdrm appartm. overlooking water off the plan with the idea to retire there in future. Unfortunately (or fortunately) when the apptm was completed they found they couldn't maintain it as one of their IPs, due to cost of strata ($2K a quarter) and other reasons. Their children are only 12 and 15 but they have sold their PPOR and moved in. They absolutely love now, it but I wonder how long before it becomes too small for the 4 of them and doing without a garden. I have other (single) friends who are moving out of their apptms looking for courtyard homes with a small garden as they are sick of high rise living.

looking ahead

I believe circumstances change dramatically, as the years roll by.
Planning is essential otherwise there never seems to be a result, but we learn to adapt or change depending on our circumstances.

Our Initial purchase was a block of land a very short stroll from the beach and golf course on Phillip Island. We built a double storey house so the children and grandies can visit over Christmas dinner and possibly all stay together until New Year celebrations enjoying each others company and the beach.
The beach water is shallow with large sand banks, so safety for the future littlies is ensured. There's a surf beach close at hand (5 min drive), general store 5 min walk, immediate area has flat land for easy walking, beach faces North so no blusterly winds and there's no carparks in our residential area, so we have a lot more privacy than Cowes. Hospital in Cowes (just in case).
But it's not the place we would like to be all year round.
It currenty lets out as a seasonal rental (summer holidays & bike events) and is cost effective, only because we purchased it back in the 80's. Thankfully capital growth has been very favorable on the island.
Our big draw back is Melbourne's weather, I'm afraid that Queensland offers a more suitable climate during the winter months, so we have also purchased in FNQ, near Bundy. Ideally I'm sure Vicki would much prefer Noosa, but for now, we currently we have a ideal block of land 1500sqm very close to the Pacific ocean with 15 kilometers of sandy beach. It's also in a green belt area far enough south from the stingers, so you can swim all year round. Currently it's sporting a little 3 bedder, which is located in the bottom corner to maximise the abity to build for views at a later date.

In the future, I'm guessing that the possibilty of renting will become more to the forefront for us and every retiree.
We can reside in Noosa for six months or come back to Melbourne or live in other desired locations (overseas) without having to actually own it. I'm guessing money tied up in property will be far less valuable than the disposable income with which you can do what you want.
We have never been renters since we were married and have lived in our PPOR for close to 26 years. So I'm guessing that will take some adjusting.

Subsequently our thoughts have changed from a huge beachside McMansion
property in Qld to building three units overlooking the sunrise from the Pacific ocean, thereby we can retain one of the units for personal needs whilst still getting returns on the property itself. The payoff being less privacy but we also can get better facilities.

Circumstance may change, but keeping an open view is imperative.;)

cheers
Timm

Kristine,

Thanks for starting this thread. We have been thinking about this as well, being of a certain age.

Our problem is that we are too attached to the house we have lived in now for decades. Every now and then we toy with the idea of moving; then we admit that we just couldn't move. It's not that our house is so fantastic. I'm sure we could find a nicer one, that would suit our lifestyle in the future, but we just can't make that decision.

If we could only be more objective about the whole thing!

RK

Our problem too rkordic. We do love the Adelaide hills where we've settled for years now. Problem is that its too cold in winter. We've bought in Qland and would like to retire there but can't see us making the move. We just love our location and proximity to city, beaches etc. Just not the cold! Ideally we would spend 6 months in Qland and 6 in Adelaide hills but would we be able to hold onto 1 house not being rented for 6 months>?

i'm looking forward to moving as have never felt an "attachment" to our currently love 5bed, 3bath, 2living and pool house. i don't know why, but realistically we can't move until the older kids have left home (15-19) and we no longer need so many bedrooms. we're also tied to newcastle because the older kids are hubby's and he shares custody ... otherwise we could be anywhere in the world - just the three of us.

therefore, i'm not making any purchases for retirement but am buying ip's as fast as i can afford to be in a position to take advantage of the next boom and these, combined with our mortgage free ppor, will fund us where ever we go.

G'Day

Well, finally - after three sets of full negotiations - a signed and exchanged contract!

All the location points we wanted, with a few bonus points such as close to the Senior Citizens Club (planning ahead, remember!), a park, launching facilities, a great sandy beach with viewing platforms, 500 metres to Safeway and the Station, all on a full size block with a very rentable house.

This house has been for sale for a while, but as it is one of the original cal bungs in the area (with a large extension and good water views from the second storey) Mike was not at all interested in even inspecting it.

However, once we did (about 6pm last Sunday with the light fading fast) he realised that location, location is what it is all about.

He could even sell budgies at the front gate, and it's close enough to the water to carry the kayak!

So this important piece of the planning jigsaw is now in place. Well, all I have to do is to organise the finance (piece of cake!) and it's ours!

In the meantime, the negotiations - the hard work - has been done, and as a lovely treat it actually is quite exciting to be able to buy a property not reliant on access to work, proximity to schools, or anything else but what suits us!

Just wanted to share ...

Kristine

PS: Irene, if you're reading this, thanks for all your hard work in pulling the deal together. We look forward to waving to you as you wizz past on your morning run down 'our' street to the beach. Nice to know that we will have at least one friend in the area, so thanks for making the vendor happy and the buyers happy. Well done!

Hi Christine and Mike,
congratulations on your new purchase and hopefully it all works out as you planned it.

Do you mind sharing with us where you actually purchased?

Have a great Sunday and I am looking forward to meeting you again at the next Somersoft dinner.

Congrats on your purchase!!

My retirement plan (about 20 years away!) is hopefully my children will invite us to live with him :) and they will stay at home forever. I love a house full of people.

Hi Sue, Thanks and also to Rolf

Yes, we love to have a house full, too, and Mike loves to cook for a full table, which is why we have bought about 50 metres to the water, and a four bedroom house!

The idea is to tempt the children, and evenually the grandchildren, to come and stay - not just for dinner, but for at least some weeks each year and to really enjoy their inheritance while we're there to enjoy it with them.

The bonus for us will be the opportunity to make friends in the neighbourhood with like minded people. Chelsea is an interesting mix of old and new, residential and commercial, with all the amenities of a well established infrastructure.

It is inevitable that childen leave home, and so they should. But where ever their careers and travels may take them, it is good that we can continue to offer them the opportunity of a 'home base' with us - with the added benefit of the beaches, and commuting from a reasonable distance if need be.

We don't want to be darning the socks of fourty year olds, but we do want them to feel loved and wanted even if we no longer live in a dormitory suburb.

We look forward to long and happy summers and invigorating winters by the sea side. We are so fortunate here in Melbourne, such a diversity of housing and so many opportunities. Mike is from Norfolk, and had a Dart (catarmaran) which he used to sail on the Broads. Hopefully this will give him the opportunity to have a small boat (never mind the kayak, I don't want to be counting, waiting for him to roll back right side up!) and to indulge himself after a long and productive working life.

Me, well I'm joining www.redhatsociety.com and intend to dress outrageously and to laugh my way into disgraceful old age!

That is, once I'm off Cohen's and sherry is back on the menu again!

Cheers

Kristine

Tree Change

Philip and I are are looking forward to a 'tree change' rather than a 'sea change' for our retirement. We have recently purchased a 4609 sqm block of land on the Atherton Tablelands for our future retirement in maybe 5 or so years. At the back the land slopes down to a gully with natural bush (with resident wallabies, parrots and who knows what else?) which leaves less than half an acre of lawn to mow. It's a lovely spot with views northwards to Mareeba. There's plenty of rainfall and no need for air conditioning on the Tablelands.

By the way, 'Bricks & Mortar', Bundy is not FNQ - Bundaberg really is in Southern Queensland. 'FNQ' is north of the Cardwell Range which is north of Ingham.

Cheers
Shirley

Far North Queensland

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the geography lesson, I stand corrected, and will remember for that for the future, but considering we are southerners (or mexicans as some of the locals like to call us :D ) all the way from Victoria.......It certainly seem far enough north. ;)

Atherton Tablelands sounds good, pretty countrside, dont know about the mowing though.

cheers

Timm

Hi Mexican Timm
I don't actually mind mowing, especially with a ride-on mower. I'll keep the welcome mat out for you in the sunshine state! I think it's going to be a cold winter - only 12 degrees in Townsville this morning. Bit chilly for us!
Cheers
Shirley

12 Degrees

Shirley said:
Hi Mexican Timm
I don't actually mind mowing, especially with a ride-on mower. I'll keep the welcome mat out for you in the sunshine state! I think it's going to be a cold winter - only 12 degrees in Townsville this morning. Bit chilly for us!
Cheers
Shirley

Agree about the winter,
Mornings start at 5 degrees here, but 12 does sound mighty low for Townsville
We really look forward to heading up north usually do our inspections during the winter so we can thaw out
I think we'll miss out this year
Got to renovate my daughters first property.....priorities :(

addios amigo!

Timm

Top 100 retirement hotspots...

Hi...

I just bought this book...

"The best 100 places to live in Australia and New Zealand -
The Penguin guide to retirement hotspots by Rick Osborn"

Great book.

Great insight into where Australia's population will be moving for retirement. It is also an excellent guide for investors.

So where are the baby boomers moving to?

Anywhere it is... clean, green and blue !!!!!!!!!!!

Understand the consumer and you will profit ;)

- Ross on the Gold Coast Age = 35

Bricks & Mortar said:
we are southerners (or mexicans as some of the locals like to call us :D ) all the way from Victoria.......
I'm that sort of mexican too- but MrsW is a true Mexican- from Mexico City. Not many kids in Australia are lucky enough to have indigenous North American blood.

geoffw said:
I'm that sort of mexican too- but MrsW is a true Mexican- from Mexico City. Not many kids in Australia are lucky enough to have indigenous North American blood.
Too true!

But my kid is lucky enough to have indigenous Australian blood, so I'll see you and raise you! :p

Kay already has him tagged for Bangarra dance company down the track. She's a ballet girl from way back who's looking to live the dream vicariously methinks...

Kristine, major congratulations to you! Sounds like you're already living the dream. Well done!!

Cheers,
Mike

Buying for retirement is definitely a strategy I am considering.

At this point I can see myself retiring on the coast, walking distance to a couple of point breaks in varying directions, some for the mal riding, some for short boarding, a place to catch a fish, a place that doesn't become a madhouse in school hols, a place that won't get built out, a place that isn't unbearbly hot in summer and not too cold in winter, where I can run my dogs on the beach and is close enough to an airport for my world travels.

That's it for starters, I'll make a short list from there.

Back