Planning permit lodgement

hello all,
as a newbie to development, I was just wondering... if I were to purchase a property,is it possible for me to lodge a planning permit application for a proposed subdivision on it, during the, say 6-mth settlement period? Even if the title is still under the previous owner's name? i guess the intention is to save a bit of time with the planning process.
thanks!

In Queensland, the IDAS form that you have to submit has a section where you stay who the current owner of the property is and show or declare that you have their permission.

Delayed settlements are an underrated technique in my book. Just make sure you don't do anything that can't be undone. If you had a delayed settlement with early access and started a reno or demo on a property, then the contract fell through, you would be in what is known as a pickle.

thank you for your input Jeremy. Is IDAS similar to a planning application in melbourne?
To those there who are familiar with the melbourne planning system, do councils require that your name be on the title certificate before you can lodge? Or as jeremy has suggested, perhaps showing a signed contract of sale would be means of saying you have permission to lodge an application?
thanks again.

I believe (someone will correct me if I am wrong) but you can make the application provided you have the consent of the owner.

I do quite a few in NSW on this basis.

In Victoria you do not need the owners consent. If you are lodging the town planning application during the settlement period all you need to do is supply a copy of the sale contract as proof of purchase. This always works.

Cheers
Oscar

Back