Please help me with discretionary trust.

Dale,

I think a few of us are becoming concerned with these strategies. Now the talk is about a property investors trust. Which sounds no different in principle to a unit trust with all the units owned by a hybrid trust. Great for NSW investors as the unit trust gets the land tax thresholds but not something new. Why the deviation ?

It was quite ironic as I was reading your post my secretary said "we have a bill for Gatherum-Goss, are they a new client" It made me laugh. I thought we had unknowingly made the coup of the century. Alas, just a bill made out to you for one of our trusts. I figured you might be such a great guy your paying our bills for us now.

Hi Guys
I have read this thread with great interest, my partner and I have been struggling with this same question of how to structure our IP's.
I had read Chan & Naylor's advice and thought 'Great idea'. Now i am concerned.
Obviously, in the end, we have to make our own descisions but they can only be based on the advice 'professionals' give us.
At this point the advice seems to be equally divided for 'trust' or 'no trust'.
Frustrated
Ponyfire

Hi Ponyfire

We are very much at the point you are at but from what I understand from this thread trust are the go but question is which trust is the right one... The 'Ed Chan trust' is a new option here and I still can't work out if it's just clever marketing or really something to look into.

Of course you can only get the 'Property Investor's Trust' at one place and while I know this is a friendly and cosy place (Somersoft this is) it would be great to hear from Dale, NickM, Mry and others as well as Ed Chan what the full story is about the 'new' trust ... very confusing as we'd like to set up a trust for property investing in the next few weeks.

Oh well, on the upside there is something exciting going on in the word of accounting ;)

kaf

Back