PM dramas (lengthy)

Hi all,
Though I would relate recent happenings in my small world. I have been letting out a large house in Brisbane for the last 2 years through a PM who was part of the agency I purchased the property through. At the beginning of Feb I received a handwritten note on the bottom of the monthly rental statement saying my tenants were intending to move out soon. They had a fixed term lease until 22/05/2012 so I gave her a call and found that she had previously told the tenants they could vacate early with 2 weeks written notice, that they had given this notice by email, which she had missed, so they had just handed the keys in....
(It gets worse)
I asked her to re advertise immediately which she did using the sale photographs prior to my renovation 2 years ago(yep lime green walls and orange carpet) and bumped up the rent some $65/week. I didnt find out until later that the rental increase of this much absolved the previous tenants of continuation of rent payment until a new tenant was found, discussed in this thread:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77023&page=2

I also found on the last rental statement that she had paid a plumber to fix the same laundry taps twice in consecutive weeks costing me around $185 each time and taking the money from the rent.

This is the point I contacted Russell Peter from Pure Rentals after recommendations on this forum. Russell contacted the old PM, got professional photographs done and re-advertised properly.
(It still gets worse)
Russell had organised an open house the first week to gauge interest, I get a phonecall from Russell (who was showing a couple through) to tell me someone had broken a vent in the surfeit at the back of the house, poked a garden hose into the roof space and turned the tap on (for more than a day by the look of the damage to one of the bedrooms). The prosepective tenants understandably headed for the hills. I left work in a daze, rang insurance, police, and raced down there. All this just after my wife lost her job so I wasnt in the best state of mind.

Luckily I was covered for malicious damage except the carpets (although the builders put a large industrial de-humidifier in immediately which seems to have saved the carpets anyway). If I can figure out how I will post photo's of the damage.

(It now gets better)
I got a phonecall from Russell today who has found a new tenant at the $65/week increase. I am not sharing for any pity vote (although a testing time it has been), I have just been to Roma post flood and the devastation out there put things in perspective. It is more about sharing some of the pitfalls and giving a decent PM a bit of a wrap. So far Russell has:
Organised the transfer of management from a somewhat "cool" ex PM, secured the hoses etc to stop a re occurance, organised a company to save the carpet, conducted multiple open houses, given great advice about a future rental strategy, answered calls from insurance assessors etc who are wanting access, taken multiple calls from me up to 8pm in various states of coherancy, and taken a call from prospective tenants who had placed an application with the old PM 3 weeks ago and had not heard back....

All in all a total of I guess 10 - 12 visits to my property for the same flat fee (although he has not yet received a cent). Thumbs up mate :cool:
My mistake was not monitoring the old PM closely enough picking up the increasingly sloppy service, this has cost me somewhere in the region of $5000 a figure minimised only by Russell's hard work post event.
Oh and the wife has a new job at twice the money ;)

some pics of the damage.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 108
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 112
Others will disagree, but I would now lodge a claim against your former PM for any lost rent, because of their incompentence. Ask your new PM to be a witness, if needed. He can detail all the mistakes from former PM.

Or...do nothing, like most here, and just pay for it.

What authority did the old PM have to tell the tenants they could leave early? That is really poor.

Without even a phonecall to me was a very strange move indeed. I can only guess she realised the place was under rented and was using it as an out to re advertise...

Others will disagree, but I would now lodge a claim against your former PM for any lost rent, because of their incompentence. Ask your new PM to be a witness, if needed. He can detail all the mistakes from former PM.

Hmm I can imagine another 5k being eaten up in the solicitor flagfall alone...

With the hose, dont think it would have been the former tenants, they got out of a lease with no penalty. The only disgruntled party I can see is the sacked PM....

i disagree with a lot of what you say. but if after reviewing the situation i thought i had a better than 50% chance of succeeding i would go the old PM. i think most here would actually agree with your post.

With the hose, dont think it would have been the former tenants, they got out of a lease with no penalty. The only disgruntled party I can see is the sacked PM....

I wont comment on who or what the go was with the hose, but on a completely unrelated matter ;) I found today that if I fax a cover letter and copy of the rates notice to the residential tenancies authority, they can tell me the status of the bond. Apparently as of 9.30am this morning the ex PM has lodged a dispute over the ex tenants bond. I have not been in contact with her at all :confused:

Back