Pocket GPS Navigators

Im dead keen on getting one of these too - Bruce be sure to pop over and give me a demo when youve picked one up.

RJ

Hi

Yes, it can be tax deductible if you are using the item to assist you in earning your income. However, it is likely to be depreciated for individuals rather thanh claimed outright; and, you should consider whether there needs to be a private portion allocated for the times you use it for personal reasons rather than for investing.

However, for individuals, the cost is probably not tax deductible if used for looking for new properties.

Dale

Can the GPS's be claimed as a tax deduction, if you have IP's already and are looking for new IP's?:confused:

Thx,

JB

Gps

There was a discussion on Sydney radio recently about GPS units being more accurate in calculation of the speed of your vehicle than the vehicle's speedometer. Apparently the Federal government law that govens the speedometer requirements of all vehicles in Australia states that a speedometer needs to have an accuracy of +- 10%. Has anyone here compared the stated speed on their GPS unit with the speed stated on their vehicle's speedometer? Does anyone have a GPS unit that can keep a log of the vehicle's speed travelling speed? Could this then be used to dispute speeding violations? :confused:

"There is no certainty, only opportunity"

GPS is a great gadjet

Almost 20 years ago when i first took up gold prospecting as a hobby and started using maps i wished there was a device that would tell me where i was plus be able to navigate me to a specific position. Reading a mates hunting magazine about 12 years ago i saw an add for a GPS unit. I purchased one 10 years ago and updated it 2 years ago. I use the silva multinavigator and its suberb. When i got the first unit 10 years ago i showed it to some fellow prospectors, they laughed and could see any benefit in it??
Gold mining is like fishing 5% of prospectors get 95% of the gold, winning formula for me Research, Technology, action. Prospecting for me these days usually starts by research into historical records, (most are now online) then its just a matter of plugging in co-ordinates and walking to the gold.

GPS is a miners best friend.

Hi Geoff,
Can u pls explain the reasoning here?
Thx,
JB :)
bradje

A company can buy an employee a laptop. The company can claim the laptop as an expense. And the cost of the laptop can be deducted from the employee's wages (pre tax).

So:
Company cost $1000
Takes $1000 out of employee's wages to pay
Claims $1000 in tax against expenses- but would have claimed the same if it had been paid to employee. Cost to company- neutral. (well, actuall, perhaps can claim back GST?)

Employee:
.Gets a laptop
.$1000 of the cost gets taken out of pretax dollars. So employee might have had to earn (for example) $1400 pre tax to pay for a computer the same.

HOWEVER
The employee ALSO gets to keep the receipt AND CLAIM THE COST OF THE LAPTOP AGAINST THEIR OWN SALARY. ATO know this, and have ruled that it's OK.

So the employee gets the laptop in pre tax dollars, and also gets to cliam the cost of that same laptop against their own persoanl tax.

There's posts in the forum, and rulings from the ATO. Double deduction.

My argument is, that if a GPS map device was work related, and if the company paid for it, it could be treated in the same way as a laptop.

Glad you like the idea Dale. Have I paid you back for getting my tax info back to you late? :D

I've got a HP 6515 combo PDA, Phone & GPS. The GPS runs Tom Tom, but you can also get other . It was a lifesaver on a recent trip thruogh Sydney (I'm from Melbourne). Just plugged in the destination address at Sydney airport & never got lost.

Works great & I only need to carry one device for everything. Also, because it is a PDA, it is treated in a similar way as a laptop for tax purposes as per Dale's & Geoff's posts.

Cheers

Dave

....HOWEVER
The employee ALSO gets to keep the receipt AND CLAIM THE COST OF THE LAPTOP AGAINST THEIR OWN SALARY. ATO know this, and have ruled that it's OK.

So the employee gets the laptop in pre tax dollars, and also gets to cliam the cost of that same laptop against their own persoanl tax....

Just curious, if the receipt is in the employers name as the employer placed the order, how can the employee use this to claim the cost against their own salary?:confused:

I've got a HP 6515 combo PDA, Phone & GPS. The GPS runs Tom Tom, but you can also get other . It was a lifesaver on a recent trip thruogh Sydney (I'm from Melbourne). Just plugged in the destination address at Sydney airport & never got lost.

Works great & I only need to carry one device for everything. Also, because it is a PDA, it is treated in a similar way as a laptop for tax purposes as per Dale's & Geoff's posts.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
A few questions if I may....
Does the GPS function by voice as well as a map, on the 6515?
Are the maps comprehensive for Australia?
Is there a good website to get info on it?

Thx,

JB

Just curious, if the receipt is in the employers name as the employer placed the order, how can the employee use this to claim the cost against their own salary?:confused:
The sequence may be wrong. From something dale posted a while back
dale said:
May I suggest that you consider a double tax deduction for the laptops?

To achieve this, you buy the laptop in your own names and then the company reimburses you the costs.

You will depreciate the laptops.
The company claims an expense for the reimbursement.

It is still simple, but, effective.

GPS Units

Good morning,
Realize this thread is a little old now, but thought I'd post and let you know that I just purchased a TomTom GO710.
Cost me $868.....marked price was $929, but if you tender a printout of a cheaper price elsewhere on-line, the larger retail stores will match or better that price.
Looked at the top-of-the-range GO910, but couldn't justify the extra cost involved.
Having toyed with the thing for two days now, I find it excellent, and is a real pleasure to use.
The only 'tiny' drawback is that, unlike, say, the Navman 520, this GO710 is shaped a bit like a partly-deflated emu egg. :D :D
But I love it !
Bill

Available @ Grays Online

Lot No. 0001-108790 View product catalog

Please note that you have to be a registered user before you can bid. Register Now!

(NEW) HP IPAQ RX5965 TRAVEL COMPANION GPS, ORP $799, WLAN, BLUETOOTH V2.0/EDR, INCLUDES TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 6 AND COMPLETE MAPS OF AUSTRALIA PRE-INSTALLED,...............................

current bid $414.

I use the NUVI 660 by Garmin and won't go anywhere without it. The only drawback is that you never really get to know how to get anywhere without it. When I go hunting for land, I pre enter the adresses to the favourites folder and away we go. It will also play my music from a SD card via FM transmitter thru the car stereo system, act as a handfree for the phone, peel the banana................you get the drift.

Can't live without it now. My fav directrix is Karen.:D:D

Cheers Chrisv.

How about a Samsung BlackJack with Next G sim..you can have TOM TOM installed and use it as a phone, PDA as well as a Navigator device :D

HTC TyTn ii (Titan II)

Phone, GPS, broadband modem all in one with a slide out keyboard.

The GPS software works very well. I even managed to find a free soduku software package to play on it!

Last edited:
Back