Point Cook Vs the East

Aside from location and better infrastructure, parts of the east side command much bigger land and much better houses.

Many houses in, for example, good parts of Kew are going at around $2,500-$3,500/sqm. Not long ago the all-so-mighty experts people were throwing at me were talking about how Nth Melb will boom. Last I checked that place sells at around $6,000-8,500/sqm. Nth Melb is cheaper but that's because the avg house is what? 100sqm?

so the land size doesn't count?

Just the house size?

I am talking about the land size

Of course you've got to compare like-for-like properties. And in that regard, just saying Kew houses look much more spectacular with the double bricks etc. But let's not even get into that

i know its off topic. But for those that are in the area

but has anyone gone to mosaic tapas bar or the newer gypsy road tapas bar

ive been hearing a fair few negative things about mosaic recently

bad, will never go back unless under new management

i know its off topic. But for those that are in the area

but has anyone gone to mosaic tapas bar or the newer gypsy road tapas bar

ive been hearing a fair few negative things about mosaic recently

My husband and i went there after it first opened, service was very slow and rude,over an hour just for the entre, no apology, food very average My husband actually met the owner through friends the next day, told the owner about the shocking service, owner didnt care, said its a money spinner any way and that he hardly ever has to go in there, well good luck to him I say. He shouldn't have sold Melissa's, that's booming, maybe because it's under better management, maybe he should sell Mosaic before it really dives to someone who actually cares, it could be brilliant. Has anyone been to the Pier Lounge. If you want good service, Artichoke and Salt and Pepper, very good.

I'll try to articulate my point.

Being good at a job is irrelevant. Getting an interview at a good workplace (good pay and conditions) is often the hardest step. Uni grads get judged very quickly (few minutes at most) by what is written on their CV. There is still a stigma (probably unfair) about the non-elite universities is some fields. These sort of perceptions take a generation to change.

Vic Uni isn't at this point in time is not a highly valued brand name in the way that the Big8 are.

As soon as you have a real post-uni job where you went and what your degree was becomes less important pretty fast, but getting in the door in the first place can be very tough.

Very true...

I recently graduated from Vic Uni in Footscray Park. Average grades, although my knowledge probably does not reflect the grades I received for my uni studies, exams was my weak point, assignments and internals were all around distinctions, top grades in class for internal work - i love research, hands on problem solving work.

Now, of course there still does exist the fact of uneven grading between students work, i won't go into this political side of things as it has happen to me many times during my studies, it is heartbreaking, but i'm just glad that uni is over for now.

As well as uni I work at Flight Centre as an Accountant, was one of the youngest there, loved the job, till they offered redundancies on a last in first out basis, sadly I was one, luckily as I was about to purchase a property! Now these guys didn't care which uni you got your degree from (in fact I was only half way through mine at the time) and now have been off work for almost 1.5years.

I've applied for all the Big4, even some mid-tiers, to no luck at all. Friends that I have spoken to, even tutors that I have made friends with whilst at uni have even admitted themselves, when they see 'Vic Uni', CV straight to the bin pile. Now I've seen some other CV's and applications, and I could frame mine up on a wall and admire it, but yet it is these people that are often successful in these positions.

There still is way too much bureaucracy out there, especially in these larger firms. If only they would give people that really want to succeed in life a chance, unfortunately it's the nature of the beast, getting your foot in the door and a little luck is what you need, and most importantly, the right contacts. Now there are some absolute crap teachers at Vic Uni, and some fantastic one's there too, in fact, most of the later years subjects are standardised to other major uni's core teachings anyway, so at the end of the day it's a branding stigma that is letting it down, but from what I see, all uni's these days are becoming money making revenue raisers, especially with the huge aid of international students that pay top dollar.

...now if only I could find a decent job!:cool:

Interesting point about international students... For every international student at uni, he/she probably subsidises another HECS student with the fees he/she pays.

It's amazing when I open the newspaper - especially ones boasting an 'unbiased' approach such as The Australian - on the internet and see so many ill-informed (not to mention racist) comments such as "send the Indian kids back to their countries so that real Australians actually get a spot at uni"... if only they realise the moment these Indian kids are gone, the real Australisn probably have no hope of landing a HECS spot due to lack of funding, and can spend the next half of his life making a living from picking up cans to be recycled at the garbage station. Not to mention the possibility the economy goes gangbusters so there will be no cans to pick up.

With the state of affairs, I feel sorry for Generation Z kids.

that is correct, my tutor (a prof in accounting) said to me as we were having a chat in regards to the uni and its operation, admitted herself, if there was a cutdown or ban on international students, VicUni and most others may as well shut up shop instantly!

anyway back on topic ;)

Well said. Western suburbs of Melbourne like Tarneit, Truganina, Point Cook,etc will prosper a lot in coming 2 years. Close to the city, close to beach, .

I only saw one proper beach on the West, it's Williamstown.

Do I miss something?

For example, does Altona actually classifies as a beach??? With all the smelly seaweeds, jellyfish and shalow water? Does anyone actually swims there?

My husband and i went there after it first opened, service was very slow and rude,over an hour just for the entre, no apology, food very average My husband actually met the owner through friends the next day, told the owner about the shocking service, owner didnt care, said its a money spinner any way and that he hardly ever has to go in there, well good luck to him I say. He shouldn't have sold Melissa's, that's booming, maybe because it's under better management, maybe he should sell Mosaic before it really dives to someone who actually cares, it could be brilliant. Has anyone been to the Pier Lounge. If you want good service, Artichoke and Salt and Pepper, very good.

Im assuming that you are referring to Mosaic..i have heard a few negative stories but dont know anyone personally who has been there

I have a friend who has moved to point cook from the UK, and he said he went to Gypsy Road Tapas place, and he said the food was pretty good and service was good, it was a bit busy on the weekend though....but he is a beer/cider drinker so I think he'll be sitting at the bar all the time

I only saw one proper beach on the West, it's Williamstown.

Do I miss something?

For example, does Altona actually classifies as a beach??? With all the smelly seaweeds, jellyfish and shalow water? Does anyone actually swims there?

I swim at Altona beach, very pleasent actually to paddle around on a warm day, and going by the large number of people there on warm days id say a lot of people swim there and enjoy the facilities on offer

I go there relatively frequently weather permitting. It is newly renovated, undiscovered (i.e. not too crowded unlike St Kilda), close to the city and is a very popular para-sailing venue.

But most of all I like it because it is very family friendly - very nice park right opposite the beach with a new playground, long pier for a scenic walk, a kid-height-friendly shallow beach that extends quite far out to the sea, etc.

I go there relatively frequently weather permitting. It is newly renovated, undiscovered (i.e. not too crowded unlike St Kilda), close to the city and is a very popular para-sailing venue.

But most of all I like it because it is very family friendly - very nice park right opposite the beach with a new playground, long pier for a scenic walk, a kid-height-friendly shallow beach that extends quite far out to the sea, etc.

It is a hotspot for kitesurfing. The name of that park is called Logan Reserve. It has a historical museum - Altona Homestead and many large Moreton Bay Fig Trees and Norfolk Island Pines. Also where the Tuesday Altona Beach Market is held and where many Hobsons Bay City Council actiivities are held.

The beach is now undergoing beach renourishment so it's going to be much wider than it used to be.

forumite

Back