Politicians ... just ... why ... ?

To the couple of crotchety old farts who say that it's perfectly okay to call people 'wogs': thank goodness we have evolved and there aren't too many like you around any more.
Now, now...

If you want to get really personal; just call me "banana nose" or similar.

If you reread my posts you will not find any reference that I said it is ok to call them wogs.

What I have said is that a good number of them are able to brush the term off and have a laugh at themselves, the term and everything else about it.

Hell; look at that highly successful comedy team; "Wogs out of Work" for one example.

Or; the famous books by Nino Culotta ; "They're a weird mob" and "Gone Fishin'".

Or; Pauley off "Pizza"...and so on.

Anyway; we used to call each other names but the world has moved on and it is now not allowed to say such things, right?

I'll tell ya one thing; the world hasn't moved on - that sort of verbal abuse as you perceive it is still out there - and so as not to put this thread at risk of being shut down; there are plenty of derogatory names thrown at us whiteys....

Maybe "you white c**t" is a term of endearment?

To the couple of crotchety old farts who say that it's perfectly okay to call people 'wogs': thank goodness we have evolved and there aren't too many like you around any more.

The Fence: people are not 'begging to be offended'; you are finding an excuse to be offensive.

Now Im offended. But do you care?

You have no idea about me and my history with wogs, abos etc.

I know many of them well and I dont offend any of them at all.

We all get along and are friends and give it to each other all the time.
I will not tell you what they call me, but do I get offended...no.

Just that some of the precious ones on here cant seem to take it as being light hearted, breaking the ice and laughing at oneself.
There is this agenda to scruitinise and castigate anyone saying just about anything that does not suit this PC crowd.

Lighten up and concentrate on the positives and all this stuff will run away like water off a ducks back.

Let It Go....!:)

Bayview and The Fence: Now I hope you understand. You were adamant that it was perfectly okay to call people 'wogs' and that it was their fault if they took offence and that they should lighten up--even after Fifth and MTR, of Italian heritage, said that it was considered offensive. Yet when you are referred to as 'crotchety old farts' you are affronted. Don't you know it's a term of endearment!

even after Fifth and MTR, of Italian heritage, said that it was considered offensive.

many years ago, but not now.

If they are still offended then they need to get with the times.

Anyway, why should I pander to a precious few when most have already moved on and accepted these terms of endearment?

Nino Culotta, "They're A Weird Mob" a fav book. Hilarious and just what you need to do, read it!
Written in 1957.

Actually Nino Culotta wasn't Italian. He was an Australian- John O'Grady, writing under a pseudonym. Yes, it was funny. It made a lot of fun of Aussies. But he wasn't talking first hand as an Italian.

People have said several times that they were hurt by the term wog being used so many times with venom. It was used with real venom when I was growing up. The word doesn't mean the same any more. But can't we give a person the consideration to stop calling them a particular name when told that to consider it offensive? It's not a matter of growing up. It's a term which series bad memories for them.

I'm an old fart but I haven't carries that name for long. It carries no emotional baggage so I doesn't hurt. However if somebody calls me an abusive name, or treats me as an inferior based on my exterior, that hurts.

You have no idea about me and my history with wogs, abos etc.

I'm a wog and I don't find it offensive in the slightest. I love being a wog, mate! It's fully shick! In fact, the overwhelming majority of non-Anglo Europeans would not be bothered by it. People that get offended by it are just feeding their need for drama. When someone says to me 'You're being offensive' I tell them 'It's not that I am being offensive, it's that you choose to get offended.'

2ln9t0i.jpg

Privilege is invisible to people who have it. People in dominant groups often believe that they have earned the privileges that they enjoy. In fact, privileges are unearned and they are granted to people in the dominant groups whether they want those privileges or not. Unlike the targets, people in dominant groups are frequently unaware that they are members of the dominant group due to the privilege of being able to see themselves as persons rather than stereotypes.

This is actually a valuable point I'd never considered until earlier this year... as a member of the dominant group, I have an individual identity. This means if I'm lazy, I'm lazy; being a minority, if I was lazy people would seek to identify that behavior with another of my characteristics. I'm not for making white males (as the dominant of the dominant) feel bad, that's petty, but it's important to understand we have some advantages we take for granted.

The real underlying issue we have which is being skirted is that sense of entitlement; I deserve x because I'm a good person. What that sense of entitlement relates to differs from person to person (some feel they deserve respect, others more benefits or perks, some more money), but deep down we all feel we're above average. The reality is that mathematically that's impossible, we just need to make the best of what we have, and try to make the world a better place.

I know a lot of this sounds like fluffy bunnies and balderdash, but there you have it. In a decade, I've become significantly more tolerant and willing to consider the other side.

Bayview and The Fence: Now I hope you understand. You were adamant that it was perfectly okay to call people 'wogs' and that it was their fault if they took offence and that they should lighten up--even after Fifth and MTR, of Italian heritage, said that it was considered offensive. Yet when you are referred to as 'crotchety old farts' you are affronted. Don't you know it's a term of endearment!
You are assuming I was affronted.

Assume away...but you'd be wrong

I wasn't even annoyed; I was laughing.

Wait until you are 53 and see if you feel "old"...you won't; I'll guarantee it.

I will agree with you on one thing; name calling is wrong and immature (crotchety old fart :rolleyes:).

Every race has a name for the various other races they talk about. Some use it in a derogatory context; many don't.

I called Aborigines "Abbos" as a kid - everyone did. It was not derogatory; it was merely a shorted term for them as a race/group. If you don't believe me on that it's your problem.

But some folks are not perturbed by name calling and some are.

The ones who are; need to be more like the ones who aren't or suffer a lot of angst throughout their youth and possibly adulthood.

How many fatal fights in pubs have occurred because someone said a name, and the recipient replied; "What did you call me?" and so on.

It all comes down to maturity, attitude and emotional control.

I think this thread has gone quite far off topic and we are into the circular argument phase again. Closing the thread.

Back