Politicians ... just ... why ... ?

WORD: insert your favorite word, mine is icecream, edit: that is another story

There are so many rabid apologists.
Those who say
You cant say word, only they can say word, because word is offensive if you use it

Except, If you or I were to wander randomly about, telling people that parts of anything were reserved for word people, then that would be considered offensive,
Damned if we do, damned if we don't, but those to whom word may apply can do Anything, because they are words and that is the reason.

how discriminatory is that

reversed, if the other group of people were : ; hell to pay

but
everyone is allowed to do anything accept the majority who arent word

In a democracy we are supposed to be equal, why arent the majority permitted the same rights as vocal minorities

edit: I don't like it because words, call non-words otherwords and think that's ok.
I think nobody should do anything to cause offence.
but its the intent not the word that needs to be challenged

Last edited:
When I grew up it was definitely insulting to call somebody a wog. Younger people may not have experienced this.

I find it really sad that one member says that a word is offensive to them, so another member goes out of their way to use that word. I can understand that not all people regard the word as a bad one, but I would have expected that another person's different experience would have been respected.

My introduction to High school
"Hi I'm Chris, call me wog"
"This is Roger, he's kraut"
"What's your name' what are we going to call you?"
"Robert, Im from here"
"ok you're skip"
"He cant be skip, that's skip"
"Where's your family from"
"England I guess"
"Oh, sorry"
I ended up 'Doc' there were too many skips to be a skip
and nobody wanted to really insult by calling anyone a pom​
by 1970 ish, all had taken ownership of their derisive names
to be accepted in Australia, open a few good restaurants?

It's offensive to me to have people tell me what I can and can't say especially when it's a very very common thing to say and it is accepted by the overwhelming MAJORITY.

It's also offensive to me those silly cartoons representing complete untruth!

Definitely a derogatory term in Sydney in the late 60s and 70s. We got away with calling Greek and Italian kids 'wogs' because us Aussies outnumbered them.
I had lunch yesterday with a bloke I went to school with and he confirmed it. He's Greek. Of course, as I was saying to Bill yesterday, the irony is that people who have European heritage are now the 'cool' ones. I like seeing them embrace it after all those years when they were ashamed of it.

i agree that Vietnamese have been a great addition.

Same goes for Greeks,Italians etc from that era as well.

Greeks and Italians spread themselves right across Australia. They lived in the cities in every state, and lived in all the rural areas as well, and now make up some of the most successful farming families in wine, sugar, vegetables, diary. They were probably the perfect immigrants. I don't see that it's good for the current lot of immigrants we have coming here to set themselves up in mainly just one area of Sydney and Melbourne. It's much the same in the UK and Europe, they all congregate in one spot and don't seem to have any intention of integration?

See ya's.

I guess, TC, part of the reason for that early spread would have been that there was more work for labourers on the land back then. And in some places, more big infrastructure projects - the Snowy Mountains scheme? - that needed labour.
With so many country people drifting to the city, it would be hard to swim against that tide.

TC - you need to go down to little Britain - Wynnum in Brisbane.
I think the local accent is East London and they even import Beef fat for the authentic british chips and north sea cod, because that is sooo much better than our local fish :rolleyes:

Definitely a derogatory term in Sydney in the late 60s and 70s. We got away with calling Greek and Italian kids 'wogs' because us Aussies outnumbered them.
I had lunch yesterday with a bloke I went to school with and he confirmed it. He's Greek. Of course, as I was saying to Bill yesterday, the irony is that people who have European heritage are now the 'cool' ones. I like seeing them embrace it after all those years when they were ashamed of it.
What I have observed over my lifetime (considerably old b@stard compared the average demographic on this forum) - and nothing has changed when I watch my 13 year old son in action with his peers - is that the kids who can't handle the numerous ways that other kids will antagonise them; either name calling by race, religion, colour, body shape, hair colour, and so on...

Hell; I remember when everyone though the Catholic kids were like lepers or something and were ostracised.

Those who can handle it and have a laugh are usually well accepted and often become too cool!

The ones who get fired up, get offended and throw a hissy; usually get more of the same treatment.

It's not right, but that's how kids are for some reason.

I have a fairly big nose (thanks Mum :(), and when I was a kid I was called a thousand different things in relation to that - none of them good.

What do you do?

Punch the suitcase out of each person who offended me and have no friends?

Or; learn to get over myself (and them) and move on. That's what I did. One day, I'm gunna get that nose job I've been promising myself for 40 years. ;)

The choices are ours, and we all need to get over ourselves.

Maybe then, wars will end.

My Greek next door neighbours came here in the 60s. Marrickville was Sydney's Greek suburb. Fifty years down the track, Zois still only mixes with local Greeks and knows very little English. There are many locals like him. To be honest, I like the fact that they are still very Greek, and I benefit weekly from the Greek food Helen cooks up in her outdoor kitchen next door. It will be a pity when the old Greeks are replaced in this suburb by people like me. At least we still have lots of Vietnamese here.

The thing is depreciator the greeks etc may still mix with local greeks and despite little english,they are very friendly,i found.

Can't say the same thing for the current lot of immigrants and without mentioning race/s.

The thing is depreciator the greeks etc may still mix with local greeks and despite little english,they are very friendly,i found.

Can't say the same thing for the current lot of immigrants and without mentioning race/s.

Considering the top 5 immigrant groups currently coming to this country are the UK, NZ, China, India and Vietnam, which one of the 5 are you referring to? I've found all to generally be pretty friendly.

Considering the top 5 immigrant groups currently coming to this country are the UK, NZ, China, India and Vietnam, which one of the 5 are you referring to? I've found all to generally be pretty friendly.

Especially the Chinese, Indians and Vietnamese. Yep, great additions to Australia. Should be more!

See ya's.

Back