Pool?

Just bought a house with pool.........the vendor wishes to stay on for 6mths.............great.............we are just about to settle and draw up lease agreement and the vendor now wants me to maintain the pool at my cost or drop the rent!

Any one have experience with this

Appreciated

Big Tone

Tell the vendor to go find another place to live for six months. His moving costs will cost more than the maintenance costs for the pool.

On the other hand, if he stays and maintains it himself, make sure you have as much bond as you can legally get in case he decides to play silly games to "get you back".

make sure you have as much bond as you can legally get in case he decides to play silly games to "get you back".

How does that help Big Tone ??

The money is locked away in some Govt dept, and without the Tenant agreeing and signing off the form only if he is happy with what is written on the form, Big Tone doesn't get a cent of it.

Surely it shouldn't even be called a Bond, cos the Landlord isn't in control of the funds.

Sounds like they have sprung this rental proposition on you. Is it part of the Sales Contract ?? If not, tell them to hoof it, and you wish for vacant possession.

As a Buyer / future Landlord, you will never win against a Seller / future Tenant. Contractually - you are stuffed before you even start.

How does that help Big Tone ??

In Queensland it helps a lot to be holding a bond.

The money is locked away in some Govt dept, and without the Tenant agreeing and signing off the form only if he is happy with what is written on the form, Big Tone doesn't get a cent of it.

Sorry, but that is wrong. If the tenant doesn't agree, the landlord lodges the form and it is then up to the tenant to prove that he is entitled to the bond, or part thereof. If the tenant doesn't agree, they get to pay to take the landlord to the tribunal.

Surely it shouldn't even be called a Bond, cos the Landlord isn't in control of the funds.

Neither is the tenant.

Sounds like they have sprung this rental proposition on you. Is it part of the Sales Contract ?? If not, tell them to hoof it, and you wish for vacant possession.

I agree with this part. They are probably calling your bluff though, and they would know that moving twice will cost more than maintaining a pool for six months. We have't touched our pool for months and it is fine because nobody is swimming much. No swimming equals very little chemical needed.

Not sure where your house is, but in Queensland you don't need both parties to sign off on the refund of bond form.

For our IP's with pools we pay for monthly pool maintenance and the tenant pays for all chemicals. They pay more in rent because the properties have pools, which covers this amount.

Sounds like they are trying to test you.

Sunshine

Just bought a house with pool.........the vendor wishes to stay on for 6mths.............great
No not great ....bad. They will be asking you to fix everthing they have not for the time they have lived there - every-hidden-thing.

.............we are just about to settle and draw up lease agreement and the vendor now wants me to maintain the pool at my cost or drop the rent!
Smells like trouble and they are not even your tenants yet. Don't lease to them period, full stop. This is just the beginning.......warning! Will Robinson! danger!

Yes.........you are right.I have sent an email to the agent asking for vacant possession as per contract of sale.

I am going to have another PM find me a tennant.

Thank you everybody for your input.

Big T

And jack up the rent to cover pool maintenance. Tenants generally don't look after it properly. Once every 2 weeks to do a water test & add chemicals should be OK.

I have sent an email to the agent asking for vacant possession as per contract of sale.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they get that news, since you say it's "just before settlement". They're going to wish they'd never mentioned the pool maintenance, I'm guessing. :D

Guess what - it doesn't matter what they say now or in the future.

It doesn't even matter what you write in the Lease - and it doesn't matter even if they sign it.

It doesn't even matter if they pay for the pool upkeep during their tenancy. They still have the right as a Tenant to write and complain to the relevant authority and get a refund from you after they have moved out.

The only thing that does matter is what is written in, and can be reasonably implied from, the RTA....that's the only piece of paper that will be referred to when you have the inevitable barney when they try once again to palm both the responsibility and the costs of looking after the pool onto you.

Travelled this merry road before. There's not alot of fun, lots of frustrating paperwork and bugger all cash coming your way over the pool from the Landlord's perspective.

Apparently it's all to do with your mindset however, so if you have a happy disposition you'll probably really like it. Enjoy !!

They still have the right as a Tenant to write and complain to the relevant authority and get a refund from you after they have moved out.

I'm sorry, but this is just not right. In Queensland (not sure about other states) if they leave things in a mess, you get the form in without their signature and they then have to prove to a mediator or the tribunal that they are entitled to their bond. You don't need their signature or approval to initiate a claim for some or all of the bond, but you will need proof of some sort that they left it in a mess or damaged something. Photos tell a thousand words.

I still would be inclined to ask for vacant possession though because that way you avoid any trouble they may make. Perhaps they are no more a risk than anybody else renting the house with a pool, but they have already shown that they will "try one on" and I think you would be better without them.

Unfortunately, unless the rent is over $500 per week (in Queensland) you are limited to four weeks' bond. However, with landlord insurance you should be well covered for most problems.

Just bought a house with pool.........the vendor wishes to stay on for 6mths.............great.............we are just about to settle and draw up lease agreement and the vendor now wants me to maintain the pool at my cost or drop the rent!

Any one have experience with this

Appreciated

Big Tone

awesome... this guy is obviously slipping into his new role as a tenant with ease. Next will be the leaking taps, a constantly blocked drain, some globes blown, a strange odour in bedroom 3 and the small matter of who will mow all that lawn?

Back