Portland, Victoria

Hi All,

We are looking to buy our second investment property and one of the areas we are interested in is Portland. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions regarding Portland.

The Portland aluminium smelter will be killed dead by the Emissions Trading Scheme, should it come to pass. Even if it gets a excluded, the mooted 2nd production line will be out of the question.

Single industry town... what's there to like?

Hi Foz , there is quite a lot being spent on the port there at the moment and in time it will become more valuable to the region . A lot of the timber being harvested will no doubt have to go through there .

Have you looked at Warrnambool nearby ...? Currently the fastest growing place in regional Victoria . I have propertys there and the rental market is tight .

Fozz I picked up the API magazine today and I see an investor from Portland is profiled in there . Actually i think he owns an estate agency there ( read into that what you like...)

I have investments also in nearby Mortlake where the new power station is to be built . Origin Energy say they will be starting construction there in December . The rental market is fairly tight there also so you can see what's going to happen......What got you interested in Portland ?

Hi Pursefattener,

I saw that article as well. I phoned that bloke's real estate agency and spoke to his property manager. Portland wasn't somewhere that I had thought of before, but someone suggested it as a possible place. It has some cheap houses and there seems to be a few different industries there. We had been looking at Mount Gambier before that.

Back