Positive Geared Property

Another RK appreciation post, one of the very first few books I read, his 'generalised' message was a good introduction and starter for me, from there I went more 'Australian specific', Jan Somer's books, especially, 'Building Wealth Story by Story by Story' and Steve McKnight's first couple of books...

My confidence and desire to have a crack at property grew, I knew (past hisory) of regional cities, I started researching and studying more specific details, streets, for sales, selling prices, open for inspections, local Shire, economic news, auctions, rental figures, what people were doing, what they were not doing, talking to other (local) investors, just familiarised myself with as much as I could, ("found' this site), and started to buy residential property.

But RK was definitely a lightbulb moment of 'Aha-Oh, I see now'...great basic introduction to feed the fever that was burning.

Hi JIT,

No, solid new sales are more relevant than most recent comparables--vendors could of course ask for as high as their greed or wish takes them, so more biased, but the sales that have been made should and indeed count for more, to many lenders (some banks do take into consideration of most recent comparables though, just diff lenders a bit diff criteria for reval.)

I have no idea what you are trying to say here???

There are several reasons I don't like Kiyosaki's books including:

- I didn't learn a single thing that I could apply from the 3 that I read (Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant and Rich Kid Smart Kid). He has no strategies that can be followed. There is only the vague sense of "you can do it too".

- He significantly undervalues education and the ability of wage earners to generate wealth. Somehow he ignores all the high earning employed people with good educations out there (yes I realise the payoffs are higher by owning your own business but so are the downsides).

- One of the strangest contradictions in his books (and one I think is particularly pertinent) is that he says that an investor needs to mind their own business. But then he says that wage earners are just making their employers and corporations, banks and the government rich. If you're minding your own business surely you don't care how much money they are making - you should only be assessing your own risk / reward / effort trade off!

I didn't mean this post to turn into a hatchet job but I just think that his books are the worst of the ones regularly quoted on 'must read investment' lists. A book for entertainment - maybe (but not my style) - a book about investing - definitely not.

OP have a look at the review done by John T Reed - its pretty brutal and I think some of it is overdone but it offers some food for thought and critical thinking.

Hi. I was thinking of investing in property a few years ago but decided not to. I have been reading a lot more financial education e-Books as well as saving all my money. I now have $55,000 in the bank. I'm 21 -

Now I dont like the idea of buying and "negatively gearing" a property - to me, that's gambling. I kind of want to be investing for cash flow - not the capital gains. I think i've missed that boat. Prices can't go up indefinitely. I never want to sell/flip my properties, only have them bring in constant income stream.

In this inflated/bubbley- housing market, are there still bargains? I'm not willing to borrow up to my eyeballs. I want a modest small investment, $150k-200k max around Melbourne. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Furthermore - are these short real estate courses on the weekends worth going to? Or are they scams? I'm always wary when I see them. It costs nothing, but I don't want them pressuring me into making commitments.

Thankyou. Please move this thread if I have put it in the wrong section

Hi,

Some of the real estate courses are ok for new investors ( i wouldn't waste my time if your a seasonal investor tho...) however i seen some course going for $3000+ for 2-3 days workshop!! now that is something i personally wouldn't spend on....that money is better spent else where ie towards your deposit.

If you want to learn about finding +VE property:
1. Do the research, go to auction, go to open inspections...speak to agents and then do the maths....get your hands dirty

2. Speak to family and friends - they will not charge you + they don't have any hidden agenda.

P.s as you mentioned - There are another investment out there ..not just property investing ( even though this forum is based around PI) ; consider bank shares - most pay a dividends return of 5-6.5% + capital growth and lower entry cost - Yes you hear news about stock dropping and increasing all the time, but that's the same as PI; it drops it falls however it's just not "monitored" on a daily basis as such.

Think long term investment.:)

Regards
Michael

- I didn't learn a single thing that I could apply from the 3 that I read (Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant and Rich Kid Smart Kid). He has no strategies that can be followed. There is only the vague sense of "you can do it too".
Even he says that most of the change you need to make is in mindset - thinking in terms of assets and liabilities and being able to recognise the difference between the two. eg: cars.

Just this one thing can change a person's life. We get loads of young blokes coming into the workshop with pretty clapped-out Commodores and Falcons. Not worth a pie. But, they want to lower them, put on 20" wheels and all this (I was the same ). It's terrific in their mind, but it's really a waste of money. Now, if they knew the asset/liability rule, they would spend bugger-all on the money-pit bomb, keep it on the road just as transport instead of some misplaced status symbol, and put their money into some other investment that might allow them to retire at 40 and buy all the cool cars they want.

- He significantly undervalues education and the ability of wage earners to generate wealth. Somehow he ignores all the high earning employed people with good educations out there (yes I realise the payoffs are higher by owning your own business but so are the downsides).
No he doesn't. He illustrates what most people do; they place all their importance on the you-beaut education to make them rich, but we all know that there are many high earning folk who are still broke, and can wind up with nothing because they don't have financial education. Doctors are one of the worst offenders in this regard sadly.

One of the strangest contradictions in his books (and one I think is particularly pertinent) is that he says that an investor needs to mind their own business. But then he says that wage earners are just making their employers and corporations, banks and the government rich.
What he means by this is while you are making your boss rich, you should also be working on your own business; your own financial empire.

If you're minding your own business surely you don't care how much money they are making
If more wage earners cared about their boss's business, many more people might keep their jobs. What I mean by this is; if we all strive to increase and improve the business we work in as an employee, the business will (hopefully) expand, more jobs would be created, and the better employees would get rewarded with better salaries.

Unfortunately, too many people have the "it's not my job" mentality. They do the bare minimum, shirk as much responsibility as they can get away with (first hand experience), watch the clock and so on. Happily, as a karma thing; most of these people don't advance up the corporate ladder, thus confirming their beliefs and their behaviour, and are often the first to be let go during the lean times..even if they've been there a long time (probably been dead wood for a while, and getting a way with it - or so they thought).

- you should only be assessing your own risk / reward / effort trade off!
See above sentences.

I didn't mean this post to turn into a hatchet job but I just think that his books are the worst of the ones regularly quoted on 'must read investment' lists. A book for entertainment - maybe (but not my style) - a book about investing - definitely not.
Maybe your expectations were to get the "nuts and bolts". I thought like this at first, then I realised he was - the mindset is part of your nuts and bolts.

- One of the strangest contradictions in his books (and one I think is particularly pertinent) is that he says that an investor needs to mind their own business. But then he says that wage earners are just making their employers and corporations, banks and the government rich. If you're minding your own business surely you don't care how much money they are making - you should only be assessing your own risk / reward / effort trade off!

OP have a look at the review done by John T Reed - its pretty brutal and I think some of it is overdone but it offers some food for thought and critical thinking.

The purpose of that book is to motivate you. It's not to teach you any particular strategy...

Yes there are significant wage earners, but the top of the wage earners will always pale in comparison to an average medium-sized business. Yep deal with them both everyday (let's see, my $5m salary boss vs. our client who just flew us around on his private jet)

As for the contradiction... it's so trivial. What's your point?

The purpose of that book is to motivate you. It's not to teach you any particular strategy...

Yes there are significant wage earners, but the top of the wage earners will always pale in comparison to an average medium-sized business. Yep deal with them both everyday (let's see, my $5m salary boss vs. our client who just flew us around on his private jet)

As for the contradiction... it's so trivial. What's your point?

And the fact that so many of us have admitted to being confronted fro the first time with "mind changing views" of assetts vs. liaiblities etc..... it shows that the majority of us needed to be spoonfed this way way way before we worried about strategies and "how to guides"

I honestly thought I waw a bit behind most people reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, it was such a revelation that I kept thinking how others must have already knew this stuff but I didn't.. I've since found that not to be the case.. Now I think that some knew, but many many more only thought and still only think they know.

Last edited:
I honestly thought I waw a bit behind most people reading Rich Dad Poor Dad, it was suscha revelation that I kept thinking how others must have already knew this stuff but I didn't.. I've since found that not to be the case.. Now I think that some knew, but many many more only thought and still only think they know

Quite right JC.

I remember the first year after starting to read RK's books, and I felt the same.

It was a case of surely everyone else must know this; but I found out they didn't (and of course; up until that point neither did I).

It was a weird mindset; sorta like being one of the survivors in that book by Stephen King; "The Stand".

Back